The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

To Those Who Have Used C/Y 35-70 and 80-200

jaree

Would you please provide you feedback on how these two work on the A7/A7R? Colors and overall drawing?

I think I am going to skip the 24-70 F4 and get the C/Y 35-70 + add FE 55 for AF when needed.

Haven't seen a lot from C/Y 80-200 + A7/R combo so any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

I think some of the older, but still competent Contax MF lenses are the way to go and they will survive much longer than the half baked native zooms. In addition, I can use these C/Y lenses on other mounts as well.

-- Eeraj

mjm6

I can't help, but I was actually thinking of exactly the same thing... how well does the 35-70 work, and does the lens perform well so that the loss of OSS and AF not seem to be much of a big deal.

In my case, almost all my lenses are MF anyway, so I don't necessarily see the loss of AF as an issue other than for laziness...

---Michael

scho

I'm doing the same, only using the Leica R 35-70 f/4 Vario-Elmar for my mid range zoom. The 55 FE Sonnar is my only AF lens.

Last edited:

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm doing the same, only using the Leica R 35-70 f/4 Tele-Elmar for my mid range zoom. The 55 FE Sonnar is my only AF lens.
Me too... I really like the performance of the Leica R 35-70/4 Tele-Elmar. I don't feel the need for the Sony/Zeiss 24-70/4. While the FE 55/1,8 is an excellent performer, I reach out for the Leica R zoom more often.

Michiel Schierbeek

mjm6

Well, crap... I just spotted a 35-70 for a good price, so I guess I'll be able to give you some feedback on that combo on an a7r in not too long.

I'm supposed to be lightening my bag, not adding to it.

I'm really going to have to start selling the M gear... hard to part with those lenses though.

---Michael

jaree

Etrianto and Michiel - Thanks for the samples. The CZ 80-200 is looking very good and the prices seem to be reasonable. Any recommendation on the adapter?

Michael - You are in good company - I sold my M9 and 35 Summicron ASPH last week. I agree with your comment on M lenses, I am not parting with all of them (yet).

-- Eeraj

Michiel Schierbeek

You absolutely need a good adapter. An all black one from for example from Novoflex.
Another possibility i use at the moment is C/Y to Leica M on top of Leica M to Sony E mount. That combination blocks the inner reflections of the chrome very well.
The advantage of this combination is you can go out with only Leica and Zeiss lenses. What more does one wants?
Especially with longer lenses most of my cheap adapters for the NEX-7 create soft spots, ghostlights, very annoying.

Michiel Schierbeek

Here's an example of what I mean. Look on the red ship on the left downside and see the big lightspot and this can happen in all 4 corners.
This was shot with my regular Leica R to NEX adapter.
It is gone now by stacking the 2 adapters on top of each other.
The Leica M to Sony E adapter seems to block the inner reflections.
I came to this method because I had those adapters in the house and tried it.
Also somehow the Leica adapters are better made, no wobbling.

Ijmuiden7 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr​

f64

You absolutely need a good adapter. An all black one from for example from Novoflex.
Absolutely: Novoflex is quite expensive but very well done, hits infinity when you do on the focus ring (no small advantage, especially when you shoot handheld) and has a great ASTAT tripod adapter that allows you to balance long lenses well and quickly switch to portrait.
Your Zeiss and Leica-R lenses just deserve it.

PS: I was not paid by Novoflex, I paid them

mjm6

Damn... I couldn't help it, I now have both a C/Y 35-70 and the Leica 35-70 f/4 on their way.

I guess I'll provide a little bit of a report on the two in comparison to both the 35mm and 50 mm options that I have here once I get them both in.

I'm not inclined to gear hoard, so I'll keep the one I prefer more and sell the other. In my case, I have generally preferred the rendering of Leica lenses to the C/Y versions in the past, so even if it is a bit better resolving, it may be my preference to sell the C/Y if the Leica performs as I anticipate.

While looking at the shots that Tashley posted, I was particularly shocked with the distortion in that lens. Man, I am sensitive to it because I shoot a good bit of architectural subjects, and also because I used to shoot a lot of LF gear, which is much less subject to lens distortions than these retrofocal designs. It's one of the reasons I like the M lenses generally over SLR lenses.

I just can't handle composing with a lens that has such huge barrel distortion that the 24-70 exhibits.

---Michael

philip_pj

My 35-70 CY shows just a little corner CA at its weaker short end, but is entirely satisfying otherwise on the a7r. It has some special qualities that will see me keep it over buying the 24-70. It has very delicate colours, low macrocontrast with high microcontrast, very consistent corners. A very handy 2.5:1 macro and nice bokeh. Low distortion once off 35mm. A very 'classic' look.

The 80-200 is light for what you get at 680 grams, and has a similar feel and performance profile to the 35-70, as they were made as a pair by Contax. Surprisingly, the Leica 35-70/4 is rather similar to the CY in many respects, and will suit Leica users better.

Like Michael I have the great CY 100-300, I want to look into the Markins support contraption to use it with, mentioned in another current thread. It's a large chunk, a little front heavy to put straight on the LA-EA3 I use for all my Leitaxed CYs. I have very high expectations for it's very strong short end and midrange -: