The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wow! Is that thing ever loud!

nostatic

I think so. But someone on DPR said something about too fine of a grind being a problem since there is no AA filter. And Lloyd C. said that the shutter shake causes the crema to separate so I'm not sure what to do.

Maybe I should go back to a full manual coffee maker...

fotografz

HI Marc
I hope I made it clear that it was personal!

I wasn't implying a generality - I was implying a personal specific - in a big room with lots of people it really isn't an issue - in a small room with a bride having her hair done I think it IS an issue - but I still realise it's my feeling.

Of course - but I wasn't trying to imply a generality from a specific - there are lots of approaches, but the fact that people have taken great pictures with noisy cameras doesn't (IMVHO) make noisy shutters a good thing! (or even that it doesn't matter).

I actually disagree with you here about small rooms - sure if there's music in the background or loud talking - otherwise they notice the sound - specifically and actually . . of course it could be different over your side of the pond (shrug).

It also has a lot to do with how you blend in and approach your subjects, but to say that it can be done with a camera with a noisy shutter doesn't mean that shutter noise doesn't matter.

There are lots of factors which make for taking good photos in social environments - I'm not saying that a quiet shutter is the only factor - any more than camera size, high ISO ability and a hundred other factors (many of which the A7/r has got just right), but by saying that it isn't the only factor doesn't make it insignificant.

I think that for me, this is the biggest disappointment in what is a fabulous camera in so many respects - I don't understand why it was necessary to have such a noisy shutter - Leica can make a quiet one in the M240 (less in the MM and M9 I agree) - Pentax can manage it in their SLRs, Olympus can manage it - why couldn't Sony? By the way - the A7 is only 'better' than the A7r, I still don't thick it's 'okay'.
Yes, Jono … on "this side of the pond" all the people are deaf from attending Acid Rock concerts, and like to play Metallica full volume in small intimate wedding spaces.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, not all of us have a Harry Potter invisible cloak, and $7,000 Leica M240 to get those quiet moments of a bride getting her hair and make-up done, or sharing touching moments with a doting mother … but somehow we make do. :)

That said, I agree that given that it is mirror-less, it would have been nice if it benefited from that and were quieter. It isn't, so there you have it.

That aspect will not stop me from doing what I've always done whether with a loud old film SLR, a MF camera, or a M6 … and making more of it than it really is IMO, is of course your option and anyone else's who thinks the same.

- Marc

ZoranC

... someone on DPR said something about too fine of a grind being a problem since there is no AA filter. And Lloyd C. said that the shutter shake causes the crema to separate ...
I personally believe neither one is correct. I suspect espresso from it is great and that it is lossy compression of raw espresso that is causing artifacts in the taste.

I personally believe neither one is correct. I suspect espresso from it is great and that it is lossy compression of raw espresso that is causing artifacts in the taste.
Another problem is the small boiler, you can only get a limited number of shots and can't really steam any milk for a latte..

//Juha

Ben Rubinstein

Coming from the DSLR world I was really surprised when I first used my A7r. I was expecting a medium format shutter thunk from all the internet wingeing about it. In fact it's not particularly loud. I was a wedding photographer for 10 years with cameras as loud, infact the only camera I ever had which was quieter was the 5D3 with the quiet shutter mode and that was only after I'd retired from event photography.

I find it amusing that the yardstick for this camera is something which I doubt many bought it for. Who buys a 36 megapixel camera for work where you need silence outside perhaps of a movie set where they use blimps anyway? The A7r isn't a 'do it all camera'. Perhaps the A9r might be however the A7r has horrific shutter lag, hard to find or use buttons, a tiny lens set, etc. It's not a family camera, a p&s equivelant and IMO not an event camera. It's a medium format camera made very very small.

So no it doesn't do silent. Neither does any other full frame mirrorless camera. Yes it's noiser than the Leica M but with arguably still better IQ and a fraction of the price. It doesn't do sports shooting either but no one seems to be complaining...

dave92029

Mine has almost a double click, so It's not just the level of noise but the click click that bothers me. I have the A7 and even when I turn on or off the electronic shutter, can't tell much difference between the two settings, the shutter is bothersome!

turtle

I too have found some situations when even the A7 is so noisy as to cause disaster. Only the other day, I was photographing a family of famished bears that were being stalked by a Siberian tiger. All this took place in in the grounds of a small Russian Orthodox church where several monks were concluding their final day of a ten year vow of silence in an elaborate outdoor ceremony. I saw a great photo, fired the shutter and, well, I just don't want to talk about it any more.

jonoslack

I too have found some situations when even the A7 is so noisy as to cause disaster. Only the other day, I was photographing a family of famished bears that were being stalked by a Siberian tiger. All this took place in in the grounds of a small Russian Orthodox church where several monks were concluding their final day of a ten year vow of silence in an elaborate outdoor ceremony. I saw a great photo, fired the shutter and, well, I just don't want to talk about it any more.
Hi Tom
Made my day. You've nailed the problem:)

ZoranC

Mine has almost a double click, so It's not just the level of noise but the click click that bothers me. I have the A7 and even when I turn on or off the electronic shutter, can't tell much difference between the two settings, the shutter is bothersome!
When one is on watchout for "flaws" one is guaranteed to find thm. Better question though is what importance that "flaw" has, it is a size of an elephant or a fly. When OMD EM5 came out there was lots of outcries over buzzing sound people were hearing. Yup, you could hear it if you put camera close to your ear in very quiet room and look for it. However, many people, including myself, didn't hear that sound while engaged in real life shooting. I feel same way about "noise" from A7R's shutter, including that double click. When engaged in actual photography I am so focused on it / immersed in it that almost everything else gets shut out, I almost don't register shutter noise at all, that double click is not a bother at all to me either.