The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pixel Paradise: A7R with 24-70, 28-70 and 55 F1.8 compared.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Pixel Peeping alert: those with pixel allergies should not consume this material.

Here's a link to an urban landscape series, shot from a high vantage point and from the same tripod and during the same session on all the above-titled lenses at all main focal lengths and at F4 thru F8. All images are downloadable at 100% size, developed from RAW to 92% JPEG quality. Sharpening was set to 60/0.7/70/20 in LR, which is a bit too much for the prime and not quite enough for the zooms. Camera Standard profile was used. Otherwise there were no alterations and no lens corrections at all.

The results could be pored over for ages but the summary is that you get what you pay for!

There are small bits of some frames where the lowliest zoom seems a tad better, but massively overall it loses to the 24-70 despite that latter lens having a slightly soft left hand side. The 24-70 when shot at F8 and viewed at 50% is close enough to the 55mm in quality as to make it a sane preferred choice for some shooters. However, the 55mm lens is still better, and is faster and can 'do' edge to edge even wide open: it is the only lens of the three that performs to the sensor's abilities and the only one that looks like medium format across the frame - at the cost of some pretty nasty moire in at least one place that is absent from the zoom's version of the same.

Focus was magnified manual for every frame, on the two rectangular windows bang on centre, one dark and one light, set in a grey mansard.

Peep on my friends!

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Added:

Note that the 55 has a notably warmer rendition: look at the F8 frames, where auto WB chose the same settings, to see. Look also at the relative distortions: when I am back to base I will correct the zoom images but I guess that when corrected, the FOV of the 24-70 at 50mm is very similar to the 55mm uncorrected.

Also look at the degree of in-camera 'half-baked' sharpening to the RAW files of the zooms: there is a lot more 'jaggy' than with the prime, which I suspect is a result of that.

EDIT: one could play around with these RAWs forever but I just took the 50mm shot from the 24-70 at F8 and gave it -12 distortion, an additional ten on sharpening and 12 on clarity and then compared it with the 55mm shot at 50% view. There are few people in the world who would spot or care about the differences. Truly an exciting prospect for those who want to travel light but retain some flexibility of focal length.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Zoran - it's useful to me too so I might as well share.

Here's an interesting comparison: the A7R shot with two Mystery Lenses. I have given both the files 'rational' treatment in LR including lens corrections, and I have then cropped them a tiny bit so they both have the same FOV and then exported them both to 3680 pixels wide, being effectively a 50% view so they should be examined at 100% to get a rough idea of a print. For people with time, and inclination to pre-audition some interesting lenses, which of these two if either, do you prefer? I have stripped EXIF but please don't spoil the exercise for yourselves by looking at the file names and comparing them to yesterday's set: I am not to be trusted :D

Mystery Lens A:

Full File here

Mystery Lens B:

Full file here

tashley

Subscriber Member
Roll up, roll up folks, faites vos jeux... we have Guy in the Red Corner and Yat in the Black Corner... maybe one of them is right? Or maybe not?

kapil Syal

well i like the top one - more contrast and 'apparent detail resolution' a la traditional Zeiss
but out of curiosity .. where was the focus point, and the aperture ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Be fun to try it against a tech cam with a Rodie lens.

Even a S2 and the 70 lens. That be a little more apples to apples.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Who needs an Otus? :eek:

Focus was on the two windows, dark and light, absolute centre in the grey lead mansard. Apertures were both f8.

kapil Syal

Be fun to try it against a tech cam with a Rodie, "apples to apples" lens.

Even a S2 and the 70 lens. That be a little more apples to apples.
Guy.. that Apples to Apples comparison, would need a certain 'recently introduced' cmos based device ..
(again, i'm being careful not to mention names!)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Howard makes a verrry interesting guess. Thinking laterally. But is he correct? All will be revealed later today...