The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R lenses?

mazor

socal, double check by emailing Metabones to ensure it will work with full frame A7 or A7r. Some of the adapters were designed for APS-C and the size of the opening may not be large enough.

socal

The description on the BH site said it will support full frame body, it also comes with a detachable tripod foot that is compatible with Arca Swiss.

Gary

mazor

ah then it may be the one to get. Metabones adapters are usually pretty well made albeit Guys experience.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It works fine now just check it when it comes in. Maybe mine was made on a Friday at 4:45. Lol

99 dollars at B&H leica r to Sony e put in search

Godfrey

ah then it may be the one to get. Metabones adapters are usually pretty well made albeit Guys experience.
I've tried three Metabones adapters (one for mFT, two for NEX) and returned all three. Poor fit, the lenses would not lock in on them correctly and/or they had play on the camera mount.

So far, Novoflex adapters have been the best I've used, with Rayqual second and Kipon right behind them.

One Novoflex adapter to share across six/seven Leica R lenses, another to share across four/five Nikkors isn't so expensive when you consider the value of the lenses and how much better it is to have adapters that fit precisely and properly. I have a third for Leica M lenses as well, which was probably a bit of wasted money as I haven't really found myself loving M-mount lenses on the A7.

G

Guy Mancuso

I agree the Novaflex is the best I tried but not cheap either. They have solid rear mount to camera . No screws

mazor

Guess I too only have the Metabones EF - NEX emount adapters. One of which was $400, the other second hand speed booster version

jaree

Join the club.

My haul from the past week, last two for my long term "heritage" collection:

Sony FE 24-70
Leica R 80MM Summilux
Leica R 100MM APO Macro

Now I did sell off my M9 + 35 Summicron ASPH, so I was able to rationalize the purchase.

In a horrifying moment of weakness yesterday, I ordered one of these lenses—in the box with hood, caps, etc—at a price I can rationalize as being worth it and affordable. Ugh.

Hanging out with this crowd of equipment magpies is a dangerous business. ;-)

Anyway, I couldn't possibly rationalize the cost of a series II model and it wouldn't work on my Leicaflex SL bodies anyway. It was not cheap, but it wasn't "break the bank" expensive.

These moments of weakness come from working my butt off and seeking escape in shopping therapy. They'd be less frequent if I didn't work so much. Of course I wouldn't have the money then either. Hmm ... =8^O

NOW I really really have to start selling some of the excess unused gear around here... !

alajuela

Hi

I have what will probably be considered a dumb question.

Here goes - why would you consider an R lens as opposed to a M lens?

Thanks

Phil

R lenses are equally good in performance and usually cheaper than similar M lens. Also R series has longer alternatives. Technically the R series are a better fit, especially for focal lengths below 50mm due longer flange to sensor distance.

Many of the wider M lenses aren't really suited for the 7's causing weird coloring and smeared corners in pictures.

In practise slr lenses work better than rangefinder lenses for 50 and below, regardless of the lens brand.

//Juha

jaree

Not at all, no question is dumb. I can only give my perspective - I cannot adapt M lenses on DSLRs, hence R lenses are preferable in some cases for me in case I want to go to a 50MP Nikon when it comes out. Other reason is that most R wides work well on mirrorless. Most M wides are horrible on anything other than a Leica M. Price is another consideration - in some cases R lenses are cheaper than M counterparts with no loss in IQ.

For the two R lenses I bought above, I feel they are truly unique and best of the best so when the opportunity arose I bought them. Again, my personal subjective opinion.

Hope this helps.

Eeraj

alajuela

R lenses are equally good in performance and usually cheaper than similar M lens. Also R series has longer alternatives. Technically the R series are a better fit, especially for focal lengths below 50mm due longer flange to sensor distance.

Many of the wider M lenses aren't really suited for the 7's causing weird coloring and smeared corners in pictures.

In practise slr lenses work better than rangefinder lenses for 50 and below, regardless of the lens brand.

//Juha
Not at all, no question is dumb. I can only give my perspective - I cannot adapt M lenses on DSLRs, hence R lenses are preferable in some cases for me in case I want to go to a 50MP Nikon when it comes out. Other reason is that most R wides work well on mirrorless. Most M wides are horrible on anything other than a Leica M. Price is another consideration - in some cases R lenses are cheaper than M counterparts with no loss in IQ.

For the two R lenses I bought above, I feel they are truly unique and best of the best so when the opportunity arose I bought them. Again, my personal subjective opinion.

Hope this helps.

Eeraj
Thank you Juha and Eeraj - I am assuming with introduction or Fuji and Sony, Along with Canon / Nikon option, they won't stay cheap for long.

I am thinking about the 80mm Lux, I have the Canon 85 1.2 - the Lux will render different I suppose.

Thanks again.

Phil

Guy Mancuso

Also the lenses are different in design as well the 80 lux being a Mandler design when wide open will have more lens aberrations but thats what gives it the look. Lets not forget lens coatings here as well. Canon being a more modern lens coatings

Godfrey

I have what will probably be considered a dumb question.
Here goes - why would you consider an R lens as opposed to a M lens?
Not a dumb question at all.

- Adapting SLR lenses proves more compatible with large sensors than adapting RF lenses. This is a side effect of the necessity to design them for a deep mount register to clear the swinging mirror.

- Leica R lenses are in many cases as good or better performers than Leica M lenses. In fact, since I really only have rather old M lenses or Voigtländers, my R lenses are in most cases better performers.

- I bought the Leicaflex SL body and most of these lenses last year to shoot with them on film and hoped to use them as telephoto lenses on smaller format bodies. I found I missed having their designed capabilities expressed in the full format they were intended for ... that's why I bought the A7. I will never buy a Sony lens for the A7, my intent is purely to use it as a "one-size-fits-all" replacement for SLR cameras.

G

alajuela

Not a dumb question at all.

- Adapting SLR lenses proves more compatible with large sensors than adapting RF lenses. This is a side effect of the necessity to design them for a deep mount register to clear the swinging mirror.

- Leica R lenses are in many cases as good or better performers than Leica M lenses. In fact, since I really only have rather old M lenses or Voigtländers, my R lenses are in most cases better performers.

- I bought the Leicaflex SL body and most of these lenses last year to shoot with them on film and hoped to use them as telephoto lenses on smaller format bodies. I found I missed having their designed capabilities expressed in the full format they were intended for ... that's why I bought the A7. I will never buy a Sony lens for the A7, my intent is purely to use it as a "one-size-fits-all" replacement for SLR cameras.

G
Also the lenses are different in design as well the 80 lux being a Mandler design when wide open will have more lens aberrations but thats what gives it the look. Lets not forget lens coatings here as well. Canon being a more modern lens coatings
Thank you all, in Summary it appears that;

1. If you have the M with new M lenses, then mounting a R lens you might get a slightly different look due to the coatings, but image quality might (at least in the wides) would be at best marginally better. Of course you now have a larger, and heavier lens.

2. The R have the advantage of being "portable" to a Canon or Fuji with a simple converter. While still not really "cheaper" than a "L" lens, the R are extremely sharp and have that "Leica" look.

I think for me at least, I will keep me eyes open for a good opportunity on a R lens with the Canon and Fuji in mind.

The information here - and the lists will become a cheat sheet on the ins and outs of R line.

Thanks so much for sharing

Phil

Shac

Some R lenses (e.g. 50 summicron) can be easier to handle than their M (v4 Summicron) counterparts IMO.
I never liked the small amount of play with my Leitaxed R lenses for Nikon and converted them all back to original mounts