The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R lenses?

scott kirkpatrick

The Elmarit-R 19 prices that Thorsten Overgaard quotes in the 2010 article linked a few times below have a very nice historical feel to them. Well before the M announcement and long after the DMRs had vanished, he notes that the version 1 could be had used for $1100-1400 and the version 2 topped out at $2000. A few unopened new version 2's he reported as discounted to $3500. On EBay today, the version 1 shows up still at $1200-1600, but the version 2's are up to the low to mid $3000s. From the picture that appears earlier in this thread, the version 1 is HUGE, so I can see why the 2's are market leaders. But if they are still not catching up to the price when new, maybe there remains an investment upside. And for use on an M, there is the possibility that the firmware correction handles the slight distortion that Guy points to at the start of this thread, HMMM....

scott

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Folks remember PT lens plug in supports the version Ii distortion. I sent files in to the developer to build a profile for it. Takes seconds to correct in PS. They have many lenses built into the database and if not there are instructions on shooting a couple frames to send into the developer and he will build a profile for it. Works very nice

Guy Mancuso

I'm excited to see what Godfrey comes up with version 1. Its most likely corners and such but it looks to have a nice look and sometimes that is far more important than technical prowess . That's why many of us bought Lux lenses wide open technically they are not great but the look is . Stopped Down they are lasers.

Buying lenses is a art within itself.

Guy Mancuso

The Elmarit-R 19 prices that Thorsten Overgaard quotes in the 2010 article linked a few times below have a very nice historical feel to them. Well before the M announcement and long after the DMRs had vanished, he notes that the version 1 could be had used for $1100-1400 and the version 2 topped out at $2000. A few unopened new version 2's he reported as discounted to $3500. On EBay today, the version 1 shows up still at $1200-1600, but the version 2's are up to the low to mid $3000s. From the picture that appears earlier in this thread, the version 1 is HUGE, so I can see why the 2's are market leaders. But if they are still not catching up to the price when new, maybe there remains an investment upside. And for use on an M, there is the possibility that the firmware correction handles the slight distortion that Guy points to at the start of this thread, HMMM....

scott
We all know who wrote the DMR bible right. LOL

Godfrey

The Elmarit-R 19 ... the version 1 is HUGE ...
As I mentioned in the picture thread, I also picked up a Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S yesterday, quite on an impulse. I remembered this lens from years ago as being a very good performer, etc, and the price it was going for was almost silly-cheap. It's a much smaller lens, at least it is until you fit the lens hood when the front of it becomes a rather large dish.

I did some quick snaps with it around the condo last evening and it proves to be quite the nice performer in close even wide open. It will be fun to see how it compares to the Elmarit 19 series I.

I don't there's all that much to be gained by thinking of lenses as investments. I think of them as tools. Prices float up and down when they get old enough, but basically they*just depreciate over time through use and age. They only spike up when some current fashion puts them in the limelight for a bit, and if they're particularly rare or desirable at that moment.

G

mazor

nice Godfrey, look forward to seeing comparisons as well :)

I have the large bulbous Nikkor 15mm f3.5 manual focus lens. Guess that will not compare well with the Elmarit 19mm since it is a very different focal length. Plus it was never a stellar performer wide open at the corners.

R lenses galore and more so.. I just purchased a nice condition R8 also for a measily 400usd. Nice condition, manuals, showcase box etc included. So next week I'll have the summicron R 50 and the R8!

Actually I'll offload the R8 at matching price to a friend who shoots loads of film. I just have 2-3 rolls in my drawers, so I'll push those through just for the experience. It'll be interesting to try one.

//Juha

philip_pj

I wonder how sales of adapters are going these days, and which mounts are selling. Truly these are the salad days of alternative lens use - we are spoilt for choice! It's a big step forward for photography in the enthusiast category.

Just received my 50 Summicron-R. It is in a great shape, no nasty dings or anything.. focus is buttery smooth and aperture clicks are nice & snappy. It was the lovely Leica sensation I got used to with my previous M-lenses. Excellent stuff and to think I got it for measily 250 euros.. R-Fever!!!!

Need to do some testing with it later today and this week.

//Juha

Godfrey

I've been trying out the Nokton 40mm f/1.4 MC and M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 gen II on the A7.

I did a tripod-mounted edge and corner test of both last night. Both show falloff wide open and down to f/2.8. The Nokton shows unsharpness and smearing until f/5.6. The M-Rokkor does not show smearing even wide open, and is sharp at the corners by f/2.8-4. The M-Rokkor "feels" sharper immediately as I focus it too.

One thing curious with both is that I find them a bit fiddly to focus, mechanically. The focusing ring is quite close to the body and finding the focusing tab does not feel natural on the A7 as it does on the M9. The big Elmarit-R lenses are just nicer to use on this camera, to me anyway.

G

Godfrey

Just received my 50 Summicron-R. It is in a great shape, no nasty dings or anything.. focus is buttery smooth and aperture clicks are nice & snappy. It was the lovely Leica sensation I got used to with my previous M-lenses. Excellent stuff and to think I got it for measily 250 euros.. R-Fever!!!!

Need to do some testing with it later today and this week.
You will love it! The Summicron-R 50mm is sharp wide open and has a beautiful rendering signature. It's quite different from the equally lovely Summilux-R 50mm too. I need to have my Summicron 50 CLA'ed ... the focus helicoid grease is old and stiff.

Yes, R lens fever ... !

Been doing a tiny bit of testing and it's looking good. The long focus throw takes a bit getting used to, but otherwise smooth sailing. The magnification makes focusing easy, as long as your iso is decent and the screen doesn't have to massively gain. Even when it gets grainy, it's still ok'ish to focus.

And the ability to place magnification window where you need it, is a real killer feature!

//Juha

Godfrey

Meditating on my testing of the Nokton and M-Rokkor last evening, and using the Nokton over the weekend.

I'm ready to just toss in the towel on using M-mount lenses on the A7/A7r entirely. My longer lenses ... the M-Rokkor 90 and Hektor 135 ... work well enough, but none of the Color Skopars really sing, the Ultron is a mushy mess most of the time, the Nokton 40 is great if you ignore the corners or stop it down to slower than a Color Skopar, the M-Rokkor 40 is better than that, and the Nokton 50/1.5 (LTM) is only just "ok", it does not perform like either the Summicron-R 50 or Summilux-R 50 do. I don't even like using the 40s on this body ... the ergonomics are poor due to the position of the focusing ring and tab.

I might just keep the M-Rokkor 40 on the CL body where it belongs, sell the Nokton 40, and find a Summicron-R 35 for this slot in my lens kit. My A7 will be an all-Leica-R lineup, with a couple of specialty Nikkors complementing it.

G

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I totally agree with you about NOT using M lenses on A7r/A7. For me, it's Leica-R lenses all the way. I also highly recommend the 35 Summicron-R which has a very nice and smooth rendering style.

Meditating on my testing of the Nokton and M-Rokkor last evening, and using the Nokton over the weekend.

I'm ready to just toss in the towel on using M-mount lenses on the A7/A7r entirely. My longer lenses ... the M-Rokkor 90 and Hektor 135 ... work well enough, but none of the Color Skopars really sing, the Ultron is a mushy mess most of the time, the Nokton 40 is great if you ignore the corners or stop it down to slower than a Color Skopar, the M-Rokkor 40 is better than that, and the Nokton 50/1.5 (LTM) is only just "ok", it does not perform like either the Summicron-R 50 or Summilux-R 50 do. I don't even like using the 40s on this body ... the ergonomics are poor due to the position of the focusing ring and tab.

I might just keep the M-Rokkor 40 on the CL body where it belongs, sell the Nokton 40, and find a Summicron-R 35 for this slot in my lens kit. My A7 will be an all-Leica-R lineup, with a couple of specialty Nikkors complementing it.

G

Ok, so it was getting dark already by the time I had a chance to do some test shots. And I'm in charge of entertaining my daughter this evening as well, since wife is at work..

So, the following shots are pretty silly really but figured I'll post some first samples anyway. I'm liking what I'm seeing. It's starting to look like I'll need R-line to complement my native FE lenses. And you can get some real gems dirt cheap with the R lenses too!

And I'll apologise in advance, since I think I missed the focus ever so slightly with my daughters picture.. So, here goes nothing:

//Juha

socal

very nice, if I want to get 2 or 3 R lenses, should I get the ROM version only, or the others also OK with the A7&A7R? There is a big price difference.

Guy Mancuso

Others are okay but will depend on the lens as well as formula's change. Buying R glass like all Leica glass you need to know what to look for. Personally i would not go older than 3 cam versions but that is just a general feeling more than anything else as some old stuff is damn good.

Some general thoughts on Leica R

Crons are very sharp and have nice contrast. Boarder line clinical in look but depends on lens too. F2

Summilux are all Mandler design usually have a great look wide open but with lens aberrations wide open. Lets call it a more veiling look but stopped down very very good. Its what we call a two for one lens. They are all 1.4 and bigger as well and all Crons are F2

Elmarits are all 2.8 and usually very competent lenses if not outstanding like my 19mm since they are 2.8 are easier to design and usually smaller as well. Also will not have that veiling look like the Lux glass.

2 really great elmarits are the late version of the 28mm 2.8 and the 19mm 2.8.

The great Lux glass are several the 35mm 1.4 , 50 1.4 and the 80 Lux is maybe the sweetheart for many folks.

Crons 35mm Cron is a outstanding lens and so is the 90mm Cron. The 50 cron is also very nice

sleeper lens is the 60mm macro

Just some random thoughts

Long glass the 180mm F2 cron is amazing but so is the 2.8 Apo