The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best performing 24 or 25mm on A7R

nikonf

I am looking for the best image quality possible for the A7R.
Does anyone have any real work experience with the Zeiss 25mm f2 ZF?
A friend told me he is getting good results with the Leica 24mm f3.8 Elmar-M ASPH.
Is this possible? I thought the Leica wide-angles were not working well on the A7R sensor.
Which 24mm retro-focus lenses work well on the A7R?
Sadly, the only old 24mm I have is a FD Canon 24mm f2.8 SSC.
Any chance this would work for now?

I truly appreciate any suggestions.

All the best,
Mike

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Zeiss 25mm F2. Nothing in Leica R has the image quality in this focal length. 28 yes , 19 yes but there 24 is very good but not as good as this Zeiss . Not sure if anything M actually works. I had this lens in Zion and have some great shots from it. I just bought it again this week.

nikonf

Guy, it was excellent at infinity? You used it with the D800E?
Thanks,
Mike
Zeiss 25mm F2. Nothing in Leica R has the image quality in this focal length. 28 yes , 19 yes but there 24 is very good but not as good as this Zeiss . Not sure if anything M actually works. I had this lens in Zion and have some great shots from it. I just bought it again this week.

nikonf

Hi Mike,
Now that wouldn't be much of a risk for that price.
Who knows ...........perhaps a 35 year old lens will work well on the 36mp sensor!
I'll give it a shot.
Thanks,
Mike
You might be surprised how well it works. If you don't mind risking a little bit of cash, buy a cheap adapter and try it out. (something like this - Fotasy adapter)

turtle

The 24 M Summilux is superb at landscape apertures, but an absurdly expensive for such an application. If you already own one, great, but to buy one for the Sony would be madness.

nikonf

I was referring to the much less expensive Leica 24mm f3.8 Elmar-M ASPH.
Thank you,
Mike
The 24 M Summilux is superb at landscape apertures, but an absurdly expensive for such an application. If you already own one, great, but to buy one for the Sony would be madness.

nikonf

Does the Olympus 24mm f/2.8 have sharp corners when used for landscapes?
RE: 24's. I have a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 & Olympus 24mm f/2.8. The Olympus is better than the Nikkor.

nikonf

Perhaps I should rent the 25mm f2 Zeiss. I had the old 25mm f2.8 on my Contax RTS II and it was excellent in the 1980s. Corners could have been better. Maybe they are today, with the aspheric elements?
Thanks!
Mike
I moved from the 25/2.8 to the 25/2 and there is a large improvement in image quality...the 2.8 shines closeup however.

Sean at Camera West has my old Duclos modded 25/2.8 for sale...wonderful for video.

Used 35mm Nikon Mf Photo Equipment & Cameras - Camera West - Walnut Creek & Rancho Mirage, CA

Bob

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have both Sony/Zeiss ZA 24/2 and and Zeiss ZF 25/2. They are both excellent on A7r. If you want to have AF, then go with Sony/Zeiss. Optically, I like ZF 25/2 better. The Olympus 24/2.8 is a good lens for general purchase travel use. But it has large amount of distortion and I don't use mine for landscape at all.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I'd kill to have the cash for the zeiss 25mm, from what I've seen the files from it are rather special.
I agree. The ZF 25/2 is newer design from Zeiss relative to the other ZF offerings (21/2,8, 25/2,8, 28/2, and 35/2). It has excellent performance at f2 and less distortion than the 21/2,8, 25/2.8, and 28/2. It's one of three top Zeiss new offerings (the other two are Otus 55/1.4, and 135/2 APO) from their DSLR line.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Perhaps I should rent the 25mm f2 Zeiss. I had the old 25mm f2.8 on my Contax RTS II and it was excellent in the 1980s. Corners could have been better. Maybe they are today, with the aspheric elements?
Thanks!
Mike
Highly recommend renting it. Fair warning though you will buy it or the Sony ZA 24. I had a tough decision between the two but I had the 25 before and knew its worth. I did a test with it this morning. I will get up over the weekend.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'd throw the 21mm F2.8 Zeiss into the mix, I have one for my D800E and it works very nicely on the A7R too

Last edited: