Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica R, Zeiss Lens and M lens Mount choices.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica R, Zeiss Lens and M lens Mount choices.

Some of the best Leica R lenses i owned at one point or another. I shot them years ago on Canon and the DMR.

Leica 19 R. One of the best wides around todays rate about 3400.00 You WANT version II
    Leica 28mm Elmarit with sliding hood, don't get one without totally different design the older ones. 2400 today.
    Leica 35m 1.4 Lux mandler design. Beautiful rendering
    Leica 35mm Cron F2. Really nice lens and very sharp
    Leica 50mm Lux 1.4. Outstanding lens same design as the M
    Leica 80mm Lux 1.4 Mandler design. Beautiful rendering. At 1.4 it has a veiling look
    Leica 90mm F2 Cron. Outstanding sharpness. On the clinical side
    Leica 180 F2 Cron. One of the best around in this focal length. Big , heavy expensive
    Leica 180 F2.8 Apo almost as good as the Cron. Smaller , lighter cheaper

Leica 21-35 I think F4. Really a nice lens. Again zoom better at 24mm up than 21-up. But it will outclass many others. Again expensive.

Leica 35-70 2.8 Unbelievable but forget it you can't afford it today its 10k upwards. Big heavy and very rare. Only 600 made. Leica lost money on this lens. Take my word for it I was scared to shoot the dang thing it cost so much. I paid 6k back than

Leica 35-70 F4. This is a nice all around zoom and see some members have this. Really not a bad choice at all as it is a good overall performer. Make sure you get the F4

Leica 28-90 2.8 basically this replaced the 35-70 2.8 but it is extremely good and sharp. Little clinical and again expensive , heavy and big. If you have it great buying it will set you back around 5-6k.

They have some other longer zooms but again very big , heavy glass.

There Telyt lenses again big heavy, long glass . I don't know all the models but the modular heads are very very expensive.

60 Macro. I don't remember what version I had but very sharp and still can find used.

Now many Leica lenses are still very good but don't expect to be saving any weight compared to Nikon/Canon glass. Some are more compact and the leica 28mm R i would give my front teeth for today. I still want that lens and a member just bought one on my recommendation. He shoots it this weekend. Hope he loves it. The 19mm I can't recommend enough and i have been through every damn super wide on the market. This maybe the best ever. You may see some softness in the very very extreme corners but renders like no other. Love it

Okay jumping to Zeiss in DSLR mounts Nikon ZF.2 and Canon ZE both the same glass.

Zeiss 15mm really great outstanding lens but the Samyang 14mm is a dollar short and 8 times less money. Buy the Samyang fix the distortion unless you shoot this lens a lot than get the Zeiss. Its simple you won't shoot it a lot trust me its very wide.

Zeiss 18mm . Small lens comparable and its also very good . Its the sister to the legendary Zeiss 21mm 2.8 but still a very good lens and a lot of people really like it. Distortion easy to fix in post and a normal distortion.

Zeiss 21mm 2.8 its a legendary lens and super nice but big , heavy and a older design. Has bad mustache distortion but profiles out there to fix it.

Zeiss 25mm F2 do not confuse this with the 2.8 which is a good lens but the F2 is the newer design and outstanding. I owned this lens twice now and its a keeper. I highly recommend this.

Zeiss 28mm F2 is the sleeper lens. Its a really nice lens but has field curvature and gets a bad rap for it but its very good.

Zeiss 35mm F2 again a lens most don't go to but it is really one of the best 35mm lenses around. very sharp and a great infinity lens. I owned several of them

Zeiss 35mm 1.4 well its a beast big and heavy but again really sweet.

Zeiss 50 1.4 not rated that great as wide open it has lens aberrations

Zeiss 50mm Planar F2 macro. Outstanding lens and one of the better 50's around.

Zeiss 85mm 1.4 a legendary lens but has that nice veiling look wide open. Stopped down it is very sharp. Sony has one in the ZA model and its pretty much exactly the same thing. I have the Sony today

Zeiss 135mm F2 I just sold mine to get the Sony 135mm 1.8 but these two lenses just about nothing can touch them in his focal length. Big , heavy but well worth it. Love them and love the focal length. Throw it is crop mode and you get a 190mm F2 or 1.8. Also the Zeiss 135mm like the Sigma 1.4 extender

Zeiss 100 macro is another outstanding lens. Okay Im done and going to go test the Voightlander 40mm and some other tests. Post later

I want to put a disclaimer in here. Many of you see me sell a lens and maybe think I don't like it , not the case at all. I may sell a lens purely for the only reason is to get a different focal length I may need. Case in point I just sold my 3rd yes 3rd copy of the Zeiss 35mm F2. That lens is outstanding but I wanted the 25mm F2 more and thats the only reason. So don't get mislead by my buying and selling practices. Im a freaking lens whore at the word go. I buy anything that will give me a edge. Just thought it may help. I know folks watch what I am buying and selling so please don't get mislead. All the lenses i mentioned above I would like to have all of them, of course i would not stay married and my house would be in foreclosure if i did and most likely taken more hits to the head with a baseball bat that any human can withstand. I maybe crazy but I'm not stupid. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica R and Zeiss Lens choices. Mine

I thought this was valuable enough to make it a sticky

Would be nice if folks would do a list of M mount lenses that work on the A7R. If it works on the R model it will work on the A7 model.

Its getting very hard to find this data if we had it in a sticky thread than it would be easy access to everyone.

Please contribute and lets keep the chatter to the other threads and make this more a list type thread.

Thanks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica R, Zeiss Lens and M lens Mount choices.

All my Leica M lenses perform with no degradation on the Sony A7r.

Leica lux 35 II Mandler -what Guy said for the R+ small and light. Totally sharp from 5,6 - did I say small?
    Leica lux 50 II Mandler -What guy said for the R+ small and light. Never gets totally sharp, but no one expects that
    Leica cron 50 II rigid Mandler. Character with good sharpness: known look.
    Leica cron M 50 last 6bit Mandler: just a perfect lens.
    Leica rit m 90 2,8 Mandler compact, sharp from 2,8- perfect on sony balance
    Leica Tele elmar 135 4.Mandler very good, some mechanical limits
    Leica rit m III 135 2,8 very good but too heavy- going to sell it.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Leica M WATE works great on A7r. Not sharp in corners till F8 but useable from wide open.

The M 90/2 apo is great from wide open. Wonderful lens.

CV 35 1.2 works very well up close from wide open. At infinity, there is loss of contrast till stopped down to F 2.8, sharp in corners on A7r starting at 5.6-8.

M Lux 50 is great at portrait distances to short range, but us problematic at infinity--especially away from center. To be reasonable at infinity, must be stopped down to F8 or smaller. Even then, it is not ideal. Best use is portraiture wide open--great bokeh and sharp as a tack in the center.

The M 135/3.4 apo is without issues. Sharp from wide open but corners need stopping down to 5.6-8 for critical sharpness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice work folks. Keep it going

Post Thanks / Like

You have to put in the 100 APO- Elmarit-Macro, a benchmark lens in it's class, and a kinda Swissknife only limit by it's focal length. Pin sharp from 2.8. - corner to corner. Render (to my taste) perfect for portraits. Over average bokeh, good background/foreground separation close up. Top noch at infinity, so landscape is same high class as rest... Low or none CA, vignetting, distortion.

Not so good ? hmm maybe you need a elpro or extender to get 1:1 in macro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The little (104 grams) Canon LTM 35/2 - my copy has been with me for more than 50 years- has no problems with the R . It has been defined pour man's sum micron, but of shure it is a strong competitor to the summicron II 6 lenses.
    Only problem flare, with light points just outside of frame.
    Last edited by sergio lovisolo; 22nd February 2014 at 12:00.

Post Thanks / Like

..to keep the ltm lenses coming..canon ltm 50/1.5 sonnar works like a charm..canon ltm 35/1.5 does so also, but with a bit of hard vignetting wide open..canon 50/0.95 dream lens works fabulously and the only m lens i have is the minolta cle 40/2 which is very very nice..and small..and light..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psy501 View Post
    ..to keep the ltm lenses coming..canon ltm 50/1.5 sonnar works like a charm..canon ltm 35/1.5 does so also, but with a bit of hard vignetting wide open..canon 50/0.95 dream lens works fabulously and the only m lens i have is the minolta cle 40/2 which is very very nice..and small..and light..
    you have any pic with the canon dream lens?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSEH View Post
    Here:http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/493...tml#post569844

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Summicron R 35 type l "9 lenses". Here is portrayed with the summilux m 35.

_DSC1601 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

big and heavy as it is, I prefer it to type 2. It produces solid and deep images, with a look not at all related to the dreaminess of the co-portrayed lux

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psy501 View Post
    I would add the 28mm and 90mm M-Rokkors. Both are excellent on the A7R.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I would add the 28mm and 90mm M-Rokkors. Both are excellent on the A7R.

But what's the status between m-rokkor 90 vs. elmarit-m 90? Those lenses look almost identical, but I've been lead to understand elmarit-m is better. i've used elmarit-m on m9 and it was fantastic. Deeply regret sellingt it now!

Currently i have a chance to snatch either of these in nice condition for a good price, with rokkor being half of the elmarit price. The elmarit is used with little signs and the rokkor is mint. So which to pick?

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

I have a late 35mm Elmarit-R that performs very well on the A7r. Would you guys think I am missing a lot when compared to the f1.4 or f2.0(other than speed, of course)? It seems it would be fairly hard to beat stopped down to 5.6/8.0...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GDI View Post
    I have a late 35mm Elmarit-R that performs very well on the A7r. Would you guys think I am missing a lot when compared to the f1.4 or f2.0(other than speed, of course)? It seems it would be fairly hard to beat stopped down to 5.6/8.0...
    No.The elmarits 2 and 3 are similar to the 2 summicrons when stopped down.
    Clearly, with the speed, you loose also the wide open look...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that quick reply, Sergio. Now I can continue my search for a reasonably priced 19 Elmarit-R V2!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    But what's the status between m-rokkor 90 vs. elmarit-m 90? Those lenses look almost identical, but I've been lead to understand elmarit-m is better. i've used elmarit-m on m9 and it was fantastic. Deeply regret sellingt it now!

Currently i have a chance to snatch either of these in nice condition for a good price, with rokkor being half of the elmarit price. The elmarit is used with little signs and the rokkor is mint. So which to pick?

//Juha
    The M-Rokkor 90mm f/4 is identical to the Elmar-C 90mm f/4 other than the lens bezel and filter ring. Earlier series ones were actually made by Leica in Wetzlar on the same production line*(they say "Made in Germany" on the bottom of the lens barrel), later ones made after the CL was discontinued were produced in Japan by Minolta.

The Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 is a bit larger, just a bit heavier, and has a slightly different design RF focusing cam. I had one briefly years ago and it was a very nice performer. I had the Elmar-C 90/4 for some years before that.

Whether better or worse than the Elmar-C/M-Rokkor 90/4 I cannot say ... I never did anything that could count as a true comparison test. The M-Rokkor 90/4 performs very nicely wide open, and that's good enough on speed for me most of the time.

I have the M-Rokkor 90 now and tried it on the A7, but haven't done a definitive test yet. It seems to work very nicely even wide open, and f/4 is usually fast enough for my needs (although having the Summicron-R 90/2 lends new appreciation for the possibilities with a two stops larger aperture setting... :-).

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Whether better or worse than the Elmar-C/M-Rokkor 90/4 I cannot say ... I never did anything that could count as a true comparison test.
    *sigh to me* I made just a tiny bit of a mistake with my guestion..

The elmarit-m is excellent, no doubt. I had the elmar-c 90/4 with rubber hood also, for a very brief time. I decided I didn't like it due to slow aperture. I wanted that 2.8 and also the shallower dof it allows..

Anyway, what I actually wanted to ask was about 90 elmarit-m vs. 90 hexanon-m, which are almost identical by looks but apparently there are differences in optical formula used.

So: which to get, elmarit-m or hexanon-m? elmarit used but just cla'd & nice condition vs. pretty much mint hexanon-m. Hexanon is around 35-40% cheaper, both available by "just pulling the trigger".

I got so carried away reading this thread that I mixed hexanon-m and rokkor-m

//Juha

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Elmarit-m, Hexanon-m and Contax-g 90 are about similar in their optical performance. Hexanon and Contax share the same optical formula. Elmarit-m is a better built lens and a bit heavier too. In term of price, the Elmarit costs about twice of the Hexanon, and the Hexanon is about twice of Contax. But you won't go wrong with any one of them for A7r.

Post Thanks / Like

..pm coming this afternoon..

Post Thanks / Like

..sorry for cluttering this thread that was intended to avoid chatter..just couldnt send the photo via pm as i dont have it stored in the web..just putting it here, sending some comments and running away..

..dull photo from vacation during the christmas days in the dolomites just to show the bokeh..didnt nail the focus exactly..jpg out of cam, just resized, otherwise untouched..the vignetting as seen in the left lower corner comes from the lens hood which is a bit too long (not original)..the lens does vignette wide open but not that much..hope this helps..fine lens that is for the effects it delivers, but of course not too sharp wide open..best regards, erik..

*clutter end*..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From
    Michiel Schierbeek for the A7r

I must admit i do have quiet a few of them.
    24/2.8 nice sharp but hard to correct distortion in upper corners
    28/3.5 very good sharp lens but slow. There is a F2 one, hard to find and expensive.
    no 35
    40/1.8 good and small
    50/1.4 nice and fast
    50/1.7 sharper, so better as the 1.4
    50/1.8 the worst of the 50mm range
    Then there is the 57/1.2, which I don't have, but seems to be wonderfull for portraits.
    85/1.8 one of my favourite lenses for portraits as well for landscapes.
    100 I don't know
    I have three 135 of which the 3.2 is the best.
    200mm Oké but so are so many.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 25th February 2014 at 10:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ZM Planar 2.0/50: sharp in the center wide open (center can show moiré even at large distances). Very good at the edges at f5.6 (moiré). Perfect edges at f8. Very well usable at f11. f16 is clearly diffraction limited on the A7R. Very well corrected for chromatic aberrations. Moderate, simple distortion. Typical Planar look.

ZM Tele Tessar 4.0/85: relatively small and light (due to its somewhat modest aperture). Extremely well corrected for distortion (only the very corners show minor disortion... hardly ever noticable even in architecture and similar subjects). Extremely well corrected for chromatic aberrations. Very sharp wide open with usable but slightly soft edges. Very sharp all over the image plane from f5.6.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still not happy with the choices in the 24-28mm range… The Zeiss 25mm 2 sounds good but it is big and heavy and trying to keep So how does the Zeiss 25mm 2.0 and Zeiss 25mm 2.8 compare on the A7r. I know that the 2.0 is is better but in what specific ways? Has anyone compared directly and how do these two compare to the Leica 28mm 2.0 R --

Post Thanks / Like

Leica 280mm f/4 APO
    Doug Herr http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not trying to kick up a dust storm with this, but I like my 28mm 'Cron on my A7R. Here is my take on the whole controversy: A7R And Leica 28mm Summicron - MythBusted? | The Camera Forum

35mm Summicron ver. III - EXCELLENT, incredibly sharp lens, with amazing micro contrast but softer overall contrast than the modern versions. Wonderful video lens. I totally love this lens so much, I haven't even bothered testing the Sony autofocus f/2.8 Zeiss.

90mm f/2.8 Elmarit - 57 years old, well used, and still beautiful softer contrast for portraits on A7R, both still and video. My wife even loves the portraits from this lens ;=)

Post Thanks / Like

Chuck. My comment was based on the few 28mm I had tried and what i had read. I have never tried the Leica 28mm Summicron. However this lens is even more than a 28mm Leica R. I guess if you already own one.

To be honest after correction for distortion, I am getting decent results with my 24-70mm zoom. Mine seems to be quite good on the wide end. There is some falloff in the corners and edges but not as bad as I might have imagined based on what i had heard from others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Chuck. My comment was based on the few 28mm I had tried and what i had read. I have never tried the Leica 28mm Summicron. However this lens is even more than a 28mm Leica R. I guess if you already own one.

To be honest after correction for distortion, I am getting decent results with my 24-70mm zoom. Mine seems to be quite good on the wide end. There is some falloff in the corners and edges but not as bad as I might have imagined based on what i had heard from others.
    Mark, my article wasn't intended specifically in response to what you said. In fact, I wrote the article before you posted your comment. There are other threads in several forums, not only here on GetDPI that I was responding to. You would think reading some people's opinions the 28mm 'Cron is horrible on an A7R. I can't see the problem with mine save pixel peeping at 100% and even then it is not that big a deal.

My point is, if you already own a lens, test it for yourself and then decide. What is one man's pleasure is another man's pain. In the case of the Leica 28mm 'Cron, for me it is a pleasure given the high resolving power and the small size and weight. And as always, any of these threads are only as good as the photographs that document our statements

If I did not already own a 28mm 'Cron, I may or may not have considered buying one for the A7R due to the cost. Having owned both 28mm Leica lenses, M and the R versions, the M lens is the superior of the two but a lot more money, as you rightly point out. Being an old retired "geezer" these days, the cost for me always has to enter the equation. I guess we all have to ask ourselves where do we put the resource dollars available? In my case, the big money is not going to stay in a Leica 28mm very much longer

I also own the Zeiss Contax 28mm f/2, another beautiful lens I would recommend for your consideration at about a third the cost of the Leica 28mm 'Cron. Son told me they have nicknamed this lens the "Hollywood" because so many directors here in town have converted the mount and de-clicked the aperture ring for video use. That likely tells you more about how it looks than everything positive I could say about it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I just bought a 85/1.4, 135/28, and 180/2.8 LNIB all in Zeiss Contax/Yashica mounts after looking at results from them online. They all came to a total of about $1650 which is less than I was ready to spend on some Leica R lenses. The main reason was to have similar signature and color since I already have the Zeiss FE 35 & 55. Just waiting to see what happens with the rumored Zeiss FE wide zoom as I want to add a native wide zoom outside my Rokinon 14/2.8.

Will share results once they arrive.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A clever dodge around all the M-mount lens corner smearing occurred to me this morning. I love to shoot square format (old Rolleiflex/Hasselblad user).

So just crop what the A7 nets to a central square ... that's still a 16Mpixel image or 24Mpixel with the A7r. Aside from broad-based color shifting, all the corner problems will be gone. That opens up using a much larger range of M-mount lenses for me.

Woo hoo! Back to squares! :-)

(I'm testing the M-Rokkor 40/2 on the A7 today. So far, I'm finding it a better fit ergonomically than the Nokton 40/1.4, and I think it will produce a sweeter photograph too.)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend is asking which of these works well on the A7/A7r:

Elmarit M 24mm F2.8
    Summilux M 35 F 1.4
    Summilux M 50mm F1.4
    Elmarit 90 M 2.8

I suspect the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 for sure. The others I'm unsure about.

Thanks for any info.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend is asking which of these works well on the A7/A7r:

Elmarit M 24mm F2.8
    Summilux M 35 F 1.4
    Summilux M 50mm F1.4
    Elmarit 90 M 2.8

I suspect the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 for sure. The others I'm unsure about.

Thanks for any info.

G
    The 24 Elmar works well on the A7. It's not as good on the A7r. I suspect the Elmarit might be okay and if you use the lens profiles in Lightroom - they help.

I think some have reported great results with the 35 Summilux on both cameras. I know the 35 Nokton II works without issue.

The 50 Summilux works fine on either for me but admittedly I have yet to use it at infinity either. I also rarely concern myself with perfect corners so take that FWIW. The 55 FE is a much better option honestly though and is 1/4 the price new. The ZM 50/2 Planar works great as well.

I have the Pre-AA 90 Summicron. It's great. It's as close to a perfect portrait lens as I've ever used. I assume the 90 Elmarit is great as well and almost certainly better balanced.

That being said I've since decided to add a set of Contax Yachica lenses for a consistent look amongst my Zeiss glass.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sooooo....
    What do you guys think between these two Leica lenses on the a7r:
    M WATE vs 19mm R??
    I suspect they are about the same size (with R adapter mounted). The WATE is a bit more money but more versatile. What about quality?

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The WATE is smaller than the Elmarit-R 19. In term of performance, Elmarit-R 19 has a very smooth rendition which you don't find in the latest M classes. It reminds me a bit of Summilux 35 ASPH (pre-FLE), which to me is very attractive. WATE, on the other hand, is a more contrasty lens, particular in the center. Among the ranges for the WATE, 16mm has the best performance, followed by 21mm and then 21mm. But WATE is also a very flexible lens since it's a true zoom lens.

Post Thanks / Like

There are currently 7 WATE's on ebay that I found. 5 of them are more than a new one at B&H.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I suspect he already owns those lenses so is interested in how they might perform, rather than looking for new lenses.

G

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    The 24 Elmar works well on the A7. It's not as good on the A7r. I suspect the Elmarit might be okay and if you use the lens profiles in Lightroom - they help.

I think some have reported great results with the 35 Summilux on both cameras. I know the 35 Nokton II works without issue.

The 50 Summilux works fine on either for me but admittedly I have yet to use it at infinity either. I also rarely concern myself with perfect corners so take that FWIW. The 55 FE is a much better option honestly though and is 1/4 the price new. The ZM 50/2 Planar works great as well.

I have the Pre-AA 90 Summicron. It's great. It's as close to a perfect portrait lens as I've ever used. I assume the 90 Elmarit is great as well and almost certainly better balanced.

That being said I've since decided to add a set of Contax Yachica lenses for a consistent look amongst my Zeiss glass.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    There are currently 7 WATE's on ebay that I found. 5 of them are more than a new one at B&H.

Dave
    If one plans to stay with Sony system for a longer period of time, the Elmarit-R 19 is a 'better' and more interesting lens. Personally, I prefer it over the WATE and Zeiss ZF 21 Distagon, purely for it's look and smooth rendering color/style. But if one has already invested in Leica M system, then, WATE will be an obvious choice.

As a side note, I also felt that the WATE performs better on M9/M240 than on A7r.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I tried the Zeiss 21 (ZE) but did not like it just because of its size. I'd love to get my hands on both, even if it is for an hour. I could tell pretty quickly which one I would bond with.

As you can tell from my previous "ebay" post I've been leaning toward the WATE because of the type of photography I do (mostly higher f-stop on a tripod). But I must say this camera is challenging that premise and expanding my interest in ways the 19 might excel.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's degrees of excellence for these wide angles, I'd buy purely on preference (and cost/condition). The ZF version of the 21/2.8 Distagon is 120 grams lighter than the ZE according to the data sheets - 600g against 720g. These were a redesign to emulate the original CY version (530 grams) which Carl Zeiss threw the kitchen sink at - lots of ED and high index glass for perfect correction, floating element, internal focusing, build quality (it's 15/13), etc.

The ZE/F 21/2.8 is a bit more clinical and contrasty to my eyes, and stopped down performance was less than the Contax while wide open IQ improved somewhat. A sign of the times, many other modern 'digital' Distagons are similar. All the 21s are 25mm longer than the 19mm Elmarit-R and have an 82mm ($$) filter thread.

The 19mm Elmarit-R v2 looks very similar in design and dates from three years earlier than the CY - 1990 to 1993. That era produced a lot of character lenses like these two. Technically the 19mm is also close to the Distagons - MTF, distortion, vignetting, corners will be a little less good.

The CY 21mm is great as expected on the a7r. I am not sentimental though I like it a lot, it is a little long on the a7r and the overly long focus ring is easily shifted while holding the camera it is on, so when Zeiss come along with something as good or (egad!) better for FE, it will be replaced.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Being as we seem to be on a wide-angle kick at present ... :-)

I did some shooting with the A7 and Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 series I on Saturday. It's a beast of a thing with that huge front element, but not too heavy or off-putting at all. Focusing is crisp but still takes some effort. Corners and edges are good, even wide open—they're just soft, not smeared, and LR5.3's CA removal and occasionally a minor bit of defringing produce excellent results.

I posted four frames from the walk at
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/574377-post250.html

I haven't had time to take out both the Elmarit 19 and Nikkor 18 at the same time yet. They're very different lenses in several ways, and both are excellent on the A7.

Just for grins, I've pulled out the Voigtländer Color Skopar 21mm f/4 and fitted it to the A7 now. A couple of test shots show some color shifting and I haven't examined corners in detail, but it's so tiny compared either of the 18 or 19 mm lenses it will be fun to give it a whirl, even if I end up only liking it for effect and B&W .. ;-)

I also spent time shooting in the dark with the M-Rokkor 40mm on Saturday night as I went to a midnight movie event in downtown San Jose. Mostly wide open and at f/2.8, in those circumstances whatever happens at the corners of the FoV are mostly unimportant and it proves another compact, light-weight, fun lens to shoot with.

More when...

G

Post Thanks / Like

A clever dodge around all the M-mount lens corner smearing occurred to me this morning. I love to shoot square format (old Rolleiflex/Hasselblad user).

So just crop what the A7 nets to a central square ... that's still a 16Mpixel image or 24Mpixel with the A7r. Aside from broad-based color shifting, all the corner problems will be gone. That opens up using a much larger range of M-mount lenses for me.

Woo hoo! Back to squares! :-)

(I'm testing the M-Rokkor 40/2 on the A7 today. So far, I'm finding it a better fit ergonomically than the Nokton 40/1.4, and I think it will produce a sweeter photograph too.)

G
    hmm, nice idea Godfrey, pity though having to crop off the sides off such an amazing sensor, and glass.

If one is going to crop, is it more advantageous using leica M on A7/r or maybe just use leica m on a Ricoh GXR A12?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    hmm, nice idea Godfrey, pity though having to crop off the sides off such an amazing sensor, and glass.

If one is going to crop, is it more advantageous using leica M on A7/r or maybe just use leica m on a Ricoh GXR A12?
    That depends on what format you are more interested in. Other factors come into play as well ... The A7/A7r have a far nicer viewfinder than the GXR, the GXR has a far smoother, quieter shutter. The A7 has a more responsive shutter release, the GXR has a cleaner UI and ergonomics.

One can toss the "which is better" question back and forth forever. :-)

My initial gut feeling was to concentrate on the A7 for SLR lenses that lack a native-mount digital capture body. And I'm happy with this approach, will stick with it. What works from my M-mount lens kit is a bonus, I will simply sell the rest of it since the R lenses are comparable to better quality (to my eye).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

On a lark, I fitted the Color-Skopar 21mm f/4 to the A7 yesterday. I set it to do B&W to JPEGs and capture raw files.

The B&W images look pretty good. Lots of corner darkening, but it's attractive looking for some images and can be dialed out. The raw images in color ... mostly awful. Color shifting all over the place. Best to snap a reference frame and use CornerFix. Contrast and sharpness are good, but not up to the standards set by the Elmarit-R 24mm, 19mm, or Nikkor 18mm.

The major plus of this lens on the A7 is its tiny size.

G