The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod Plate

Ben Rubinstein

Hi Guys,

Looking for a A7r tripod plate, non L, which will work with my RRS Lever release. They're not the latest lever releases which work with all plates. The RRS one does not allow the screen to tilt downwards apparently. The Markins looks perfect but I've no idea if it will work with the lever release.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have the Markins and really like it. I do not have a lever release ball head though.
Markins does not provide anything for your pinky to hang on unlike either RRS or China-made from Ebay... for me that was an important consideration.

Plus unlike the base plate for E-M1, the one that RRS has for A7/A7r looks much uglier visually - that side cutout in the base plate for its L-part is simply abhorrent... that looks like 2 weedy dystrophic legs :thumbdown:...

Godfrey

When plates do not work in the RRS Lever Action clamps, it's usually because the vertical dimension of the plate at the bevel is a few fractions of a millimeter too short.

I have a couple of plates that were either loose or did not clamp with my older RRS Lever Action clamp. A thin piece of card stock glued to the bottom of the plate solves the problem. (I've used a piece of Epson Hot Press Natural scrap that I trimmed to fit the plates exactly. The paper is just shy of 0.3mm thick.)

I just made another shim like this for the Novoflex ASTAT/NEX tripod mount base as it too is a hair thinner than the old Lever Action clamp can accommodate. The ASTAT/NEX works perfectly now with the RRS clamp.

Hope that helps.

Godfrey

tashley

Subscriber Member
Godfrey, that gives me an idea of how to make my Novoflex adaptor collar mount fit properly into my Cube's clamp, in which it otherwise sits so loosely that it would fall off if not perfectly level... thank you!

Godfrey

Godfrey, that gives me an idea of how to make my Novoflex adaptor collar mount fit properly into my Cube's clamp, in which it otherwise sits so loosely that it would fall off if not perfectly level... thank you!
That's how it was with mine too.

I put the shim in place and fitted the Elmarit-R 135mm lens to the camera assembly afterwards ... turning the camera on its side in the ball head, with the channel pointing straight down: it doesn't budge at all now. :)

I've just ordered another B2-LR-II as I finally decided, after a half-year or so worth of dithering, that I wanted to try one of the Arca-Swiss P0 heads. The B2-LR-II looks to be a near perfect match to that head, ordered another one for the purpose.

Supposedly these later RRS clamps have more ability to accommodate slightly thin plates, but I know my fix works so I'm looking forward to trying the P0 out now.

Godfrey