The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AR Hexanons, specifically the 35/2

f/otographer

Can anyone share their experiences with AR Hexanon lenses? Im thinking about getting a few for the a7. Im specifically interested in the 35/2 but would like to hear anything about the primes from 85mm and under. Image quality, build quality, etc. Especially if you have used them on any NEX or A camera.

Thanks.

Michiel Schierbeek

I must admit i do have quiet a few of them.
24/2.8 nice sharp but hard to correct distortion in upper corners
28/3.5 very good sharp lens but slow. There is a F2 one, hard to find and expensive.
no 35
40/1.8 good and small
50/1.4 nice and fast
50/1.7 sharper, so better as the 1.4
50/1.8 the worst of the 50mm range
Then there is the 57/1.2, which I don't have, but seems to be wonderfull for portraits.
85/1.8 one of my favourite lenses for portraits as well for landscapes.
100 I don't know
I have three 135 of which the 3.2 is the best.
200mm Oké but so are so many.

Michiel Schierbeek

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Michiel can you put your list in the sticky thread of lenses that work on the top of the Sony forum. Great data here

Nice work Michiel and amazing photos too!

Guy: please fix the copy & paste by mentioning also that you're referencing the AR. At least I didn't notice that bit of info in the sticky thread,

//Juha

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No no no. It's okay we have it documented now with your name. Thanks for posting in
The first place. That thread will be a nice reference for folks.

f/otographer

Michiel, thanks you so much for the information and the wonderful examples. I have read many good things about Hexanons and your images are confirmation of that. One reason I am attracted to them is that the AR flange to focal distance is the shortest of all the traditional Japanese SLR's. Its just about the shortest adapter you can get before you start getting into rangefinder glass so that will help keep any adapter/lens combo nice and compact yet not run into the normal corner and smearing issues you sometimes do with RF lenses.

Thanks again for the post. :)