Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: which one manual focus lens for A7r ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: which one manual focus lens for A7r ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I had a cheap ebay one but invested in the Novoflex on the understanding that as I'd sold a 50L and switched to the Super Tak which I had bought 4 years ago for $70, I had cash to spare. .
    Thanks for the reply I had a look at B&H website but no luck finding the right one! The adapter is the one which converts Pentax K mounts to Sony NEX? Sorry for my dumb question as I have no experience with these adaptors!
    Aryan Aqajani - Photographer in Melbourne, Australia
    Website | Blog | Facebook | Flickr | Vimeo

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The lens is an M42 (screwmount) lens. So it's the adaptor they call 'NEX-CO'.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's the link. To be frank it's cheaper to buy in Europe for once. Probably faster as well to be honest as they have it in stock there.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

I have had my A7R in the box, on the shelf for 10 days now. No lens.....

5 minutes ago I ordered the first one It is 'my' copy on the pic...

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Here's the link. To be frank it's cheaper to buy in Europe for once. Probably faster as well to be honest as they have it in stock there.
    Thanks Ben. I finally decided to get Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F/1.5 Aspherical and Voigtlander closeup adaptor! There are lots of options on old lenses but couldn't find a nice clean lens! I will defenetly get something around 85mm in near future :face smack:

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I have had my A7R in the box, on the shelf for 10 days now. No lens.....

5 minutes ago I ordered the first one It is 'my' copy on the pic...

Can't wait to see what you do with it Dan
    Aryan Aqajani - Photographer in Melbourne, Australia
    Website | Blog | Facebook | Flickr | Vimeo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The default lens normally fitted to my A7, so far, is the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4. Second to that has been the Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8.

In the past couple of weeks, however, the M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 has been sitting on it a bit more of the time: it makes the A7 into a compact camera.

But I really like to use it with the 90mm, the 19mm, the 18mm, the 135mm, and the 35mm just arrived ...

The one lens I could likely do without is the Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 mostly because of its size and weight. I should likely have gotten the Elmar-R 180mm f/4 instead.

That's as much as I can say about 'the one manual focus lens' ... ;-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

I think Leica Summicron 40 Very nice pics indeed, and a size/FL that fits the A7R very nciely IMHO..
    which one manual focus lens for A7r ? Just Sandra.. World of Games

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Mine arrives today

I'm going out on a limb and pick a lens I don't have: Voigtlander 40mm Nokton. It just looks like so much fun!
    Since I have both the Nokton 40/1.4 and the M-Rokkor 40/2 (identical to the Summicron-C 40/2 for all intents and purposes), I'll go out on a limb and say that I find the M-Rokkor/Summicrion-C is a better pick. In my using both of these lenses, back to back, the M-Rokkor 40 is easier to focus and has fewer edge/corner issues than the Nokton 40.

My M-Rokkor 40 is the generation II model that shipped with the Minolta CLE. It adds to the Summicron-C and generation I M-Rokkor lenses with multi-coating and is a tiny bit smaller/lighter as well; same optical formula. It's a very very nice lens.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    I'm thinking of taking the easy way out and buying 3 lenses instead.. And it's all your fault! (goes for you too Guy) LOL

24/2.8 elmarit-r, 50 summicron-r and 90 elmarit-m (or hexanon-m). I could have three of these for about 1500usd, all in a good condition and with their own adapters. How's that for a cheap 24-50-90!

Put a bid in for the 50 cron already.. trying to negotiate free delivery still, cuz I'm a cheapskate too sometimes ;-)

//Juha
    If you go for the Summicron-R 90mm instead, you can buy one Novoflex adapter and use it for all three lenses. This takes up less space in your bag and saves money too. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    Might be best to choose a great character lens as the FE line are likely to be 'all business'. Having witnessed the FE55 remorselessly blow the Summicron-R 50/2 E55 off the mount forever by virtue of its versatility and powerhouse performance, I'll go with the CY Distagon 21mm, the one that if it fails to deliver it's always my fault. ;-)
    As I said up top in this thread, nearly all the lenses for the A7 that I use are Leica R. I'm rather unconcerned with whether the FE lenses out-perform the Leica R on details of resolution, etc. I love the Leica Look™ fairy dust that the Leica R lenses provide in spades, and will take that over technical superiority any day of the week. :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

My first post...I tried 4 of my standard lenses on my A7R and ended up selling 2 of them.
    The 55mm f1.8 FE Sonnar performed the best in terms of IQ IMHO.
    I still felt that the 58mm f1.2 Rokkor had a look all of it's own to make me still want to keep it as well.
    I was pretty happy with the 50mm ZM Planar until I tried the 55MM FE Sonnar.
    The Leica Summilux was my least favourite of the 4 lenses tested on the A7R.

Last edited by Barry Haines; 12th March 2014 at 16:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Barry: it's been widely recognized that summilux-m 50 doesn't really play nice with the A7(r). Some report success but vast majority say it's useless. Summilux-R however seems really nice. Though if you're looking for just one 50'ish, then the native FE55 puts up hard to beat competition.

Godfrey: been playing with the 50 cron for some time and especially wide open it seems rather soft. Unfortunately I have a crap adapter, so I can't say whether that is the actual culprit.. maybe I'll just buy a quality one and see what that does. This chinese one I got for free.. so guess i'm getting what I paid for - a full bag of nothing

//Juha

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey: been playing with the 50 cron for some time and especially wide open it seems rather soft. Unfortunately I have a crap adapter, so I can't say whether that is the actual culprit.. maybe I'll just buy a quality one and see what that does. This chinese one I got for free.. so guess i'm getting what I paid for - a full bag of nothing.
    I just tested the Summicron-R 35, Summicron-R 50, and Summilux-R 50 on the exact same setup (tripod mounted, ISO 400, remote actuated shutter, one exposure each from wide open to fully stopped down; focus on the same detail target for all three). All three lenses are Walter Mandler designs, I believe, and all three show the exact same characteristics: a slight bit of glowy softness on center wide open (the 'Lux has more), a bit more at corners and edges wide open. One stop down center tightens up to near perfect. Two stops down the corners do the same. I wouldn't call any of them "soft" wide open as edges of things are quite distinct and clear, but there's a bit of glow around the edges (which I find quite lovely).

Here's a page showing the results of the Summicron-R 50mm:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._50/index.html

I use a Novoflex NEX/LER adapter and a Novoflex ASTAT/NEX tripod mount. Expensive. Worth it.

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 13th March 2014 at 00:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of samples. I'm not actually sure wether these were wide open or even stopped down to 5.6.. anyway, not crazy sharp. I was actually expecting a bit more..

https://db.tt/BHgtpErK
    https://db.tt/91ML8rqL

In the first photo focus was on the lady in the left and second on the lady in center. Straight out of camera, unaltered raw files to download and play around with...

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

anyway, not crazy sharp. I was actually expecting a bit more..
    Which 50mm Summicron is this? (there are several different versions, going back to 1953)

If it's one of the more modern designs, it is indeed disappointing. For older designs, it's perhaps within expectations.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Which 50mm Summicron is this? (there are several different versions, going back to 1953)

If it's one of the more modern designs, it is indeed disappointing. For older designs, it's perhaps within expectations.
    The lens featured on my test page noted earlier is a single-cam Summicron-R from 1965 according to the serial number listings.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The lens featured on my test page noted earlier is a single-cam Summicron-R from 1965 according to the serial number listings.
    Your images certainly confirm that the Summicron-R is a beauty on the A7; wish I hadn't sold mine.

But I'm curious which M version Juha is using, as the results are not what I'd expect from a Summicron (even an old one).

Post Thanks / Like

Barry: it's been widely recognized that summilux-m 50 doesn't really play nice with the A7(r). Some report success but vast majority say it's useless. Summilux-R however seems really nice. Though if you're looking for just one 50'ish, then the native FE55 puts up hard to beat competition.

//Juha
    I am no N00B But thanks for pointing that out to me //Juha
    I personally first became aware that the 50mm Summilux-M might not perhaps be the best choice for my A7R when my Sony package arrived in Nov 13.

B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post

Actually according to Leica wiki just two versions of summicron-r 50 exists and this is of the later design. My lens is from 1983 if I remember correctly, so of the later design.

Maybe I need to do some more test shots around the house.. perhaps on a tripod.

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

Actually according to Leica wiki just two versions of summicron-r 50 exists and this is of the later design. My lens is from 1983 if I remember correctly, so of the later design.
    I misread your earlier post - thought you were talking about a M Summicron.

Given that your sample shots were from a R lens, they do seem less sharp than would normally be expected.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of samples. I'm not actually sure wether these were wide open or even stopped down to 5.6.. anyway, not crazy sharp. I was actually expecting a bit more..

https://db.tt/BHgtpErK
    https://db.tt/91ML8rqL

In the first photo focus was on the lady in the left and second on the lady in center. Straight out of camera, unaltered raw files to download and play around with...
    DSC0095.ARW:
    The light falloff at edges and corners, plus the focus zone, suggest an f/2 exposure. Compensating for that with the Lens Corrections panel in LR5.3, it looks like the plane of critical focus is about 1-2' closer than the woman seated on the bench, running slightly in front of the woman walking on the right. You can see how quickly the zone of focus drops off past the woman on the left ... normally you would expect that if she was the critical focus plane, there would be a bit more focus behind her than in front of her, but the reverse is true. However, there is still good detail in both of their clothes, and there's a little bit of the typical Summicron-R veiling 'glow' (coma, flare, whatever) from being wide open. You can see that in the test shots I provided by looking at the differences between the f/2, f/2.8 and f/4 1:1 clips.

DSC0097.ARW:
    In this one, the light falloff looks much more typical of f/2.8-f/4, and the ISO has bumped up to 250 in similar light as the previous supporting that idea too. Again the critical focus plane is slightly in front of the central figure of the woman; it drops off a bit too quickly behind her. If you examine the ground carefully, there is evidence of some camera movement in the critical plane of focus (look at the ground, you'll see a little side-to-side blur on what should be stationary pebbles). There's still good detail in her dress, in her face and hands, but its lacking the crisp pop of a dead-on focus and vibrationless camera.

Judging from these two photos, the lens seems to be performing as expected. I'd suggest focus practice and work on holding the camera more steadily. I've seen camera movement blur even at 1/1000 second, so don't think just because the exposure is made at 1/400 second you're guaranteed to be steady.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey: thanks for the analysis, exactly why I posted the raw files.. helps getting a better 2nd opinion on things.

For the first photo (focus, woman left) I'm a little surprised about bumming the focus. I was fraiming first, then moved the focus rectangle over the woman and used the magnification to focus. With focus and recompose that would have a more likely thing to happen.

Same also applies somewhat to the 2nd one, but maybe that's more due to the camera movement.

But I'm also still wondering about the adapter.. just thinking that since it has that 2-3mm play at the mount, I suppose it doesn't have to rotate much after focusing to screw it up.. and it is easily loose enough, that it could have turned..

1/400 and camera movement is also quite surprising. I wouldn't have expected that from myself, as I had perfectly good time to adjust the shot and stand still. She stopped to pose for me.. dissapointed in myself mostly with that.

//Juha