Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: which one manual focus lens for A7r ?

Post Thanks / Like

which one manual focus lens for A7r ?

Let's play a little. I've been watching these threads for a while and people got some truly exceptional photos with their manual focus lenses.

And as former rangefinder user, I'm thinkingabout getting mf lens as well. I don't specifically need one, but definitely want one. It's a feeling thing :-)

I've been thinking about it and lens options so hard it makes my head hurt..

If you could get one lens for your A7 or A7r, which would it be?

I don't want to influense anybody, just say your own preference. Personally I'm a 50mm guy, so probably one of those for me. Even budget isn't a problem.. Otus is too much and too big, but other than that I can most likely manage.

So suggestions galore for your best option!

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

Re: which one manual focus lens for A7r ?

Well, I already had a Nikon D800E and several manual focus lenses to fit it: The Zeiss 35mm f2 ZF, the 18mm ZFII, and the 90mm Voigtlander 90mm f3.5 APO Lanthhar. I used the 35mm last night on a tripod to take HDR bracketed sunsets. Focus is a dream on the A7R, even stopped down to f11. I agree: MF on this camera is a nostalgic experience (I am 77 yrs of age).
    Good luck
    Dave in NJ
    MODERN PICTORIALS

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the 50mm range it is the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2
    A delight wide open and stopped down it is sharper then my Leica M Summicron 50.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I only limited to one MF lens, I will go with Leica Summicron-R 35 for my A7r.

Post Thanks / Like

The FE 55 1.8 and set camra to MF - Have not see better in the 50's
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The FE 1.8/55 is nasty to focus manually with the focus by wire technique.

The Zeiss ZM Planar 2.0/50 is a joy to focus manually and optically it works great on the A7R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I might consider the Leica R 35-70 f4. I really like its IQ and flexibility - it's physically large but not heavy - fits the hands well for me

Post Thanks / Like

W.A.T.E.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's like picking my favorite kid. Can't do it. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yashica ML 50mm f/1.7 series II is my personal favorite that I use all the time. Also, the Minolta MC Rokkor PF 55/1.7 is wonderful. At least my copy is.

I have never used one but the Kern Macro Switar 50/1.8 for Alpa mount is supposed to be legendary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    It's like picking my favorite kid. Can't do it. Lol
    Having only one kid, and that one only 6 weeks, I could probably make that choice.

W.A.T.E vs Canon RF 50mm f0.95?.....Sophie had it easy
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdg137 View Post
    Having only one kid, and that one only 6 weeks, I could probably make that choice.
    I only have one and he's 17 years old.

Sorry, can't pick a favorite

Did I mention he's 17?
    new album | nostatic | music

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know that feeling my youngest is 16.5 and the princess is 23. Did I say I had a favorite. Not

I guess if I had to pick my lonely island companion. My Leica 19 R. I can at least screw filters in it now.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    guess if I had to pick my lonely island companion. My Leica 19 R. I can at least screw filters in it now.
    A good choice for the scenic views one would encounters on a lonely, desert island. Not much use for a 35mm since you wouldnt be shooting street photography. No people and no streets. A 50mm? Meh, who needs the normal view...you would be bored staring at the normal view all day anyway. An 85mm? Useful for portraits I suppose if you have a Wilson type friend like Tom Hanks did. Otherwise no thanks. 200mm and up Telephoto? Great for scanning the horizon for rescue boats. But would end in continued frustration since you could see the boats but they couldnt see you.

19mm is just smart. Brought to you by Guy Mancuso's Desert Island Photography Survival Guide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol. Heck great idea for a book

Post Thanks / Like

hmm..but with a 19mm you'd only see the rescue boats when they run over your feet

So a 50mm makes sense again. It's what you'd see anyway! And you can always shoot nice brick walls.. oh wait, no brick walls there - so maybe some palm trees then!

Been thinking about the summilux-r 50 and it's two versions. They're expensive and even more expensive.. I could get a summicron-r E55 dirt cheap, but I'd probably end up thinking what I missed compared to summilux. With sluxes, the E55 is expensive but not out of hand. But I'd probably think what I missed by not getting the E60 instead, which costs a ton.

Maybe I just need to get this Leica stuff out of my head and try some other nice lenses for a change. Anybody try the 50/1.2 limited hexanon-m on the A7r ?

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment the system lacks a proper wide angle solution. With my A7 I purchased the FE 55/1.8 (no brainer) but also the CV 21/1.8 (manual) as I can't work without a decent wide angle. A highly recommended lens.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like my CV 35/1.2ii. The ZM Sonnar C 50/1.5 gets used a lot on my A7 even though the FE 55 I have is a better lens. A real character lens and I like the size, handling and focus peaking seems to work better than with other lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

While I'm tempted to say Noctilux 50/1 (or similar, e.g., SLR Magic 50/0.95), considering it has to be just ONE lens, the versatility of a 35 I think will push the CV 35/1.2II to the top.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The lens my camera wears in my shoulder bag is a Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4, tiny lens, costs $80 for a great copy, dreamy wide open, lovely rendering throughout and at f8 beat the snot out of my Canon 50L for resolved detail at any f-stop and has great corners. Did I mention that price?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    At the moment the system lacks a proper wide angle solution. With my A7 I purchased the FE 55/1.8 (no brainer) but also the CV 21/1.8 (manual) as I can't work without a decent wide angle. A highly recommended lens.

LouisB
    Mine arrives today

I'm going out on a limb and pick a lens I don't have: Voigtlander 40mm Nokton. It just looks like so much fun!

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have it, but I am tempted to answer: Leica Summicron 40. Very nice pics indeed, and a size/FL that fits the A7R very nciely IMHO.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have the Summicron 40 and highly recommend it...very sharp...focusing and adjusting aperture is a bit tough for guys with fat fingers, like me...but it's a great lens.

BTW: I use the A7...my apologies for butting in to an A7r thread...but this lens should provide stunning images on the "upper crust" A7r...and would be well worth your attention (provided you don't have fat, thick fingers.)

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 27th February 2014 at 04:51. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / Like

benroy: it's open for both A7 and A7r alike. Though some differences exist with RF lenses, with others it's pretty much the same..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    hmm..but with a 19mm you'd only see the rescue boats when they run over your feet

So a 50mm makes sense again. It's what you'd see anyway! And you can always shoot nice brick walls.. oh wait, no brick walls there - so maybe some palm trees then!

Been thinking about the summilux-r 50 and it's two versions. They're expensive and even more expensive.. I could get a summicron-r E55 dirt cheap, but I'd probably end up thinking what I missed compared to summilux. With sluxes, the E55 is expensive but not out of hand. But I'd probably think what I missed by not getting the E60 instead, which costs a ton.

Maybe I just need to get this Leica stuff out of my head and try some other nice lenses for a change. Anybody try the 50/1.2 limited hexanon-m on the A7r ?

//Juha
    I'm in the same position, since getting an A7r, I've added the W.A.T.E, 75mm summilux, 50mm Summilux ASPH, and a couple others.

I was just eyeing an f1 Noctilux, and put the brakes on. I think I will have more fun exploiting the availability of lenses from different platforms and different periods.

Instead of the Noctilux, I have a Canon FD 55mm f1.2 ASPH arriving tomorrow, at 1/5 the price of the noctilux .

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of taking the easy way out and buying 3 lenses instead.. And it's all your fault! (goes for you too Guy) LOL

24/2.8 elmarit-r, 50 summicron-r and 90 elmarit-m (or hexanon-m). I could have three of these for about 1500usd, all in a good condition and with their own adapters. How's that for a cheap 24-50-90!

Put a bid in for the 50 cron already.. trying to negotiate free delivery still, cuz I'm a cheapskate too sometimes ;-)

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

And my bid was accepted.. 50 cron E55 on it's way.

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Might be best to choose a great character lens as the FE line are likely to be 'all business'. Having witnessed the FE55 remorselessly blow the Summicron-R 50/2 E55 off the mount forever by virtue of its versatility and powerhouse performance, I'll go with the CY Distagon 21mm, the one that if it fails to deliver it's always my fault. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to beat or match the FE 55. It's rather a "remedy".. for the times when I go out for photos only. Take mf lens(es?) with me and slow down. Basically what I did with the M9 previously. Now with the A7r I'll in a way have a chance to get best of both. FE lenses for the business, as Philip said, and the mf stufffor purely feeling/character.

I'll try the mf with this cron first, before investing a larger pile of cash..

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Philip here on considering a character lens if you're looking at 35 or 55 focal lengths... I have an A7 and FE 55, Cron-R 50/2 and Sonnar C 50/1.5. I never use the Cron-R as the FE 55 seems a better Cron-R. But I still use the Sonnar C as at f/1.5 to f/2 or f/2.8, it gives a much different feel to images than the FE 55 wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of great manual lenses, but the one I'd go for would be the 35 1.2 II

Stunning on centre wide open.
    Stunning at f5.6-f8 from corner to corner. Better in fact than the 35 Sonnar.

Some shots on my blog here from this combo (wide open): The Sony A7 and A7R: A Short Assignment

and compared with the 35 Sonnar here: http://thephotofundamentalist.com/?s=sonnar

Post Thanks / Like

CV 35 f1.2 vII
    Tis lens works really well on the A7. bokeh to die for wide open

Post Thanks / Like

A question for the group; I am looking for a longer lens for my A7r, but want to avoid a big heavy lens- so no Leica R lens. One person mentioned the Minolta Rokkor as a fine choice, and my search reveals that there is a fairly compact 200mm Rokkor that looks like a candidate. It doesn't hurt that used Rokkors are really cheap, compared to Leica or others.
    Any thoughts for a light 180-200mm Tele lens?

Post Thanks / Like

I always really like Olympus Zuiko glass. Sharp, light and great IQ.

In that range they had a 180/2.8, 200/4 and 200/5 that were all pretty good and can be found relative good 2nd hand prices.

They also had in later years a 180/2 and 250/2, but these are both big hunks of glass and quite heavy (but still excellent IQ)

Post Thanks / Like

I bought on ebay a 200mm Minolta MC Tele Rokkor-PE f4.5 lens. If you are looking for small, light weight (albeit slow) this lens fills the bill (for a 200mm lens any way). I think I paid $19 for it. I have not tried it. I also have the tiny beautiful Minolta 40 mm f 2 lens. A nice combo.
    Dave in Nj

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention, the 200mm has a nice built in sliding hood.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post

LouisB
    Interesting about the CV 21/1.8 as I bought this last week while it works quite well on the A7 it is really pretty soft on the edges wide open but really shines on the Leica M at all apertures

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The one lens to own them all?

Probably my old 35mm Summicron M Pre-ASPH. Wicked sharp, amazing micro-contrast, wonderful color and drawing signature, beautiful out of focus areas, and wide enough without being "too wide" for many things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    A question for the group; I am looking for a longer lens for my A7r, but want to avoid a big heavy lens- so no Leica R lens. One person mentioned the Minolta Rokkor as a fine choice, and my search reveals that there is a fairly compact 200mm Rokkor that looks like a candidate. It doesn't hurt that used Rokkors are really cheap, compared to Leica or others.
    Any thoughts for a light 180-200mm Tele lens?
    You may want to investigate the old Canon FD glass too. Any of them that are "L" lenses (there are several) are quite remarkably good for the very low cost.

And you want long? The 100-300 f/5.6 L is a stunning lens. About $200. Even the regular f/5.6 non L is pretty dang good. $50. The 70-210 regular lens is also around $50. It will cost you almost as much for the adapters as it will the lenses. I even got a nice faux-leather case with my 70-210. I also like the push-pull zoom design. It works great for video! Shouldn't damage the A7R, but with the A7 I would want a tripod mounting collar for the 100-300 myself. Both of these are easily hand-held and have very pleasing character.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had to choose ONE lens it would be a toss up between the ZM 50/1.5 C-Sonnar and the Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II. If not for focus shift I would've bought the ZM50/1.5 over my 50 Lux ASPH FLE as I prefer the character of it despite the huge price difference. The 35 Nokton II is just an amazing lens that gives you character from wide open to f/2.5 and then "clinical sharpness" from f/2.8 on.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody know how the 50/1.1 Nokton works on A7r? It'd definitely be an interesting fast 50..

//Juha

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Send for one to see how it works for you Juha.

One reason I wanted to try the A7R was to use my Leica M50/0.95 on it. One actual try and I was all in.

Now I've added the VM close-up adapter which allows the 50 Nocti to focus much, much closer than possible without it making it even more versatile.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody know how the 50/1.1 Nokton works on A7r? It'd definitely be an interesting fast 50..

//Juha
    It works fine, no surprises.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good news mdg137! It's economical, fast & my favorite focal..

So not the sharpest wide open, gets better stopped down to f5.6-f8'ish. Any idea when it'll be sharp corner to corner?

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's good news mdg137! It's economical, fast & my favorite focal..

So not the sharpest wide open, gets better stopped down to f5.6-f8'ish. Any idea when it'll be sharp corner to corner?

//Juha
    Juha, I must be missing something here. What is the point of paying for an f/1.1 lens if it doesn't get acceptably sharp until f/5.6-f/8? A lens like that is of little and very specialized use at all to me. That has got to be more than a "touch" soft wide open, which is the only place I would likely ever have it set. As to sharp corner to corner, if it takes f/8 to get there in the center, it will take way more than it has to get sharp across the frame I would think. So I doubt it ever does.

That said, there sure are a lot of positives with an f/1.1. Starting with the beautiful drawing signature. That f/1.1 is a pretty lens. Razor sharp is way overrated for anything but landscape photography in my mind anyway, and I doubt your going to be shooting landscapes at f/1.1 anyway. Soft is your friend if you shoot portraits, trust me. Any razor sharp lens only gets me razor sharp comments about how badly I make her look from my wife ;=)
    Last edited by Chuck Jones; 2nd March 2014 at 09:19.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chuck and thanks for the comments. What I meant that I'm not expecting it to be "make your eyes bleed" sharp at f1.1, but still reasonably so. Say something similar to last pre-asph summilux-m 50. It was a great Mandler design and I liked it a lot on the m9.

And then hopefully landscape sharp around 5.6. To me this kind of combo would be great. I could do portraits between 1.1 and 2.8 and the roam around in the cities or country side and get some landscapes from 5.6 onwards.. multifunctional lens, a swiss army knife.

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Chuck and thanks for the comments. What I meant that I'm not expecting it to be "make your eyes bleed" sharp at f1.1, but still reasonably so. Say something similar to last pre-asph summilux-m 50. It was a great Mandler design and I liked it a lot on the m9.

And then hopefully landscape sharp around 5.6. To me this kind of combo would be great. I could do portraits between 1.1 and 2.8 and the roam around in the cities or country side and get some landscapes from 5.6 onwards.. multifunctional lens, a swiss army knife.

//Juha
    Got ya. Now I understand. I have never shot the Nocton f/1.1, but I kind of doubt there is anything at any cost that is going to be "make your eyes bleed" sharp at f1.1 dude I'd love to own it though if you find one! That said, you have a lot of 50mm range lenses at f/1.2 & f/1.4 that should fit the bill nicely.

If you like that pre-asph 50 'Lux, but hate the cost, you may want to have a look at a Canon 55 f/1.2 FD. It's a bigger lens, but the look is very similar to my eye and a slight bit faster. Most excellent on the A7R.
    TheCameraForum.Com
    ChuckJonesPhotography.Com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    The lens my camera wears in my shoulder bag is a Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4, tiny lens, costs $80 for a great copy, dreamy wide open, lovely rendering throughout and at f8 beat the snot out of my Canon 50L for resolved detail at any f-stop and has great corners. Did I mention that price?
    What adapter do you use for this lens Ben? Also, have you ever tried the f/1.2 version of it? More expensive though!

Thanks,
    Aryan Aqajani - Photographer in Melbourne, Australia
    Website | Blog | Facebook | Flickr | Vimeo

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had a cheap ebay one but invested in the Novoflex on the understanding that as I'd sold a 50L and switched to the Super Tak which I had bought 4 years ago for $70, I had cash to spare. .
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, better get a good one. I got some chinese cheap adapter free with the lens and it's not really good.. Nice & tight on the lens but really loose on the body, think at least 2-3mm of play on the body side. No idea how much of a prob that is, but can't be good.

//Juha