The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R Unable to magnify?

ZoranC

Sometimes when I try to review the picture and zoom in I get message "Unable to magnify". Has anybody else experienced it? If yes have you found the culprit and what it was?

Knorp

Sometimes when I try to review the picture and zoom in I get message "Unable to magnify". Has anybody else experienced it? If yes have you found the culprit and what it was?
Same here, Zoran.
It comes and goes and I haven't found a possible cause yet.

Kind regards.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds like your in a shooting focus mode that don't support it. Most likely AFS. Go to Manual focus and try it on whatever custom button you set up. Mine is C1

Guy Mancuso

I have yet to see that. That's weird and off the top of my head not sure what would cause that.

Guy Mancuso

Is it exactly right after you take a shot with review on lets say 5 seconds because if that is the case it may not have written to the card yet.

I don't do that myself and usually wait and hit the play button by than it is written but if you jump from the hit of the shutter right to magnify my bet is the image is not written yet or in the middle of writing it.

Michiel Schierbeek

I can't magnify in review mode either. It is a drag.

Sony watch out! Take care of your updating department if you have the time in between reorganising the company.

Guy Mancuso

Maybe it is something to do with the brand or type of memory card used?

That is entirely possible but maybe more to do with the speed of the card as well. I have yet to see it not to say it does not happen but I do us fast Transcend and Extreme Pro cards. This actually brings up there are cards coming with extremely fast read and write times and was just about to pre-order some.

get a link here but go through our link to order

World's fastest SD memory card now available for pre-order | Photo Rumors

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I tried to make it happen. If I press the green arrow too soon, I get the message "Writing to memory card, Unable to operate", not the "Unable to Magnify" that the OP is talking about. If I just press the magnify (C2) during writing, nothing happens. I have auto review to OFF, but I put it back on to test, and had the same result. With it OFF, I need to use the green arrow. With auto review ON, I can magnify. Sony has all of the nice customizable buttons, but there seems to be some inconsistency in the operation. FE AF/magnify is not the same as LAE4 AF/magnify, for instance. Would be nice if Sony put the next A8/A8r in the hands of some of the users on this forum before they released the final product. Maybe some of those inconsistencies could be worked out, and maybe the menus could be arranged in a more photog-friendly order.

Maybe we can all report back when we see it, and try to nail down what sequence is causing the "Unable to Magnify" warning.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Totally agree Cindy. We are guessing a little at the moment but if we can identify the exact settings maybe we could figure it out . Btw thanks for trying a few things

Knorp

Mmm, I very much doubt it has anything to do with write speed.
It seems more like a "quirky" circumstance or a "kromme" volt that's causing this random behavior.

Kind regards.

Stefan Steib

I can reproduce it: old card in - no read / raw Preview
new card in - perfect and speedy preview even with raws.

And my "old" card has been an SDHC from last year.

Regards
Stefan

Knorp

Hi Stefan, just to make sure there is no misinterpretation: it's the magnify function in review mode, standard on c2, that's randomly not working.
Mind you, most of the times it works just fine with RAWs.
And for the records: I'm using a 600x Lexar card.
Would you still recommend a faster card ?

Kind regards.

Stefan Steib

I did not try any other card after the new ones I bought were working so perfectly. I can zoom in 3 steps nearly instantly really fast whereas on the old SDHC Card I didn´t even have a raw preview !
But I think the read speed is critical and maybe also this new UIS standard. It is not a big investment though - these new cards are not expensive. Did you take a look at the link I posted ? They state these do 62,4 Mbit read and 38 Mbit write, which is really fast. I also think they have different controllers for the access of the segments. There are not many cameras available which support this new standard, but if they do it is a real improvement.

Regards
Stefan