Site Sponsors

Thread: How far we've come - it's all magic

Post Thanks / Like

How far we've come - it's all magic

Playing around with the lovely Zeiss 24-70mm zoom on the amazing a7R, I missed the exposure rather severely on this shot. But for kicks I thought I'd see what could be salvaged. Here's the unprocessed frame, and the same frame after just a bit of work in LR.

It was a stunning reminder (at least for me) of how far photo technology has come, since I started this journey with an Argus C3 and a Weston meter.
    Last edited by MikeEvangelist; 3rd March 2014 at 04:58.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: How far we've come - it's all magic

The thing that truly amazes about the a7r sensor is that it gives nothing up to the a7/RX1, in all metrics of performance, while adding greater realism, depth and detail courtesy of the 22% boost in resolution. You often feel like a kid opening presents at xmas time when seeing your files appear on screen.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: How far we've come - it's all magic

Coming from a 5D3 I'm in heaven. I tested that for my own uses the canon had approx 5 stops of useable DR at iso's up to 400. I honestly thing that even that was generous. Measured and useable due to banding means that the camera has better figures than are actually useable. I was shooting at iso 400 with 10 frames averaged out to reduce the noise to get up to 7 stops of useable DR. This chip is from a different planet to that, has (IMO) far superior facial tones and colours and really nice 'grain'. I remember the days of shooting weddings with the original 1Ds. No iso useable over 640, underexpose even a stop and you got horrendous purple banding in the darks, etc, etc. We have indeed come very far.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post