Site Sponsors

Thread: Bad exposure info on A7

Post Thanks / Like

Bad exposure info on A7

Hi guys,

When I shoot I usually don't use the exposure meter, I look at the image through the viewfinder or the lcd and shoot when I see the image exposed as I like it. I never had any problems with that with my prior NEX cameras (NEX5, NEX5N, NEX7) but with the A7 I expose the image like I like but many times it comes out darker after I shoot (I have "Live view display" with "setting effect on").

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Bad exposure info on A7

Is brightness of your viewfinder/LCD accurate?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the exposure compensation dial on "0?" I had this issue happen to me where everything was overexposed then I checked the "culprit" after the fact. Admittedly though I don't review much or chimp so I didn't notice until import. I also noticed the dial is more apt toswitch on my A7 than my A7r... I don't know if it has to do with magnesium dials v. hard plastic or just a slightly lesser build quality. The fact remains the A7 dials turn easier for me between both cameras.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I get this too actually. Randomly too. I have the EVF set to auto.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

I've just realized something that is good, but not ideal. The actual image that is shot is exposed exactly like I exposed it when shooting, but during the 2 seconds preview after I've taken the photo it shows up darker, which leads you to believe that that is how the image was actually exposed. BUT if you preview the image via the play button or on the computer the images are properly exposed like I intended. This leads me to believe that the 2 second auto preview is worthless as I will have to play each image after I shot it or trust it's exposed like I wanted it too. Nonetheless I really would like the 2 second preview to work properly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Makes some sense... Probably still processing the image depending on SD card speed. I have review set to off on both cameras.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm, I'm getting it and I have review off. Not always just sometimes.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a feeling that in low light, the auto mode of the viewfinder is boosting the brightness a drop too much compared to the actual image. Thoughts?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Might want to manually set the brightness of your LCD screen. Mine is set to brighter but I have the histo tool on my screen both in finder and LCD. I go by the histo not what I see.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

That's the thing, The LCD and the VF are displaying the image properly, the problem I have is with the image that is displayed in the 2 second auto-review that takes place directly after the photo is taken. If I check the photo again via play button it's exposed properly. I've have the NEX5, NEX5N and the NEX7 and this is the first time I see this happening. It's a bummer because I do like to have a quick review of the image before I move on.