The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the RX10 conundrum

nostatic

Instead of continuing to hijack the 24-70 zoom thread, figured I'd start a new one.

Seems like there is little RX10 love here, but a few of us are pondering this as a possible solution to certain needs. For instance, in my case, while I love the A7r, sometimes it is too noisy for certain shooting environments. As an additional data point, I need to grab video from time to time as well.

So, I found a used RX1r that has been great - silent operation, beautiful files, good video. All great, right? Well, of course not - I'm cheap, but I'm not easy. Downside is no EVF - yes, I could add one but it seems a bit ungainly. Other issue is that presently I don't have anything longer than 70mm. I don't necessarily shoot long that often, but sometimes reach is a good thing. I've got an RX100ii but could part with that as while it goes to 100mm, it gets slow quickly in the zoom range. Not convinced I really need ultra-pocketability given that the RX1r is fairly compact and I could crop the FF file and get effective reach (for smaller output, web, etc).

So enter the RX10. I've read the reviews and while I agree with some of the points, not sure some of the "cons" bug me. Yes, zoom is fly by wire but I can live with that. Build quality seems good to me, AF is snappy (quicker than my A7r), EVF is usable, and is nice to have all that reach at a constant 2.8. Downside? well, it isn't a small camera but no free lunch. Mostly though is that the 1" sensor, while being a competent performer, is no match for FF. I know and expect this going in, but one gets spoiled.

So still pondering the moves. I could see selling the RX100ii and getting the RX10. Would make the most financial sense to sell the RX1r and get the RX10, but I kinda love the RX1r despite not being a swiss army knife. And who needs the knife...I'd just end up cutting myself or poking an eye out :D

lambert

In my experience, if you're going to shoot video using AF you really need a touch screen so that you can select your focus point.

I've been shooting video with my A7R, RX1, RX100 and more recently a GM1. In addition to producing the best output of the bunch, it has a touch screen which means you're not at the mercy of the camera deciding who and what to focus on. An added bonus of the GM1 is that it has very fast AF relative to my Sony's as well as rather decent focus tracking.

I'm not sure about the RX10, but if it lacks a touch screen and pin-point AF, it wouldn't interest me.

nostatic

No touch screen on the RX10. I had a GM1 and it was ok for video, but the touch-screen was a double-edged sword. Often easy to touch it and not really want to. More than once an accidental touch ended up changing the focus point (I typically shoot center point) and mucking things up. Also the kit zoom is a bit short and slow. You could put one of the Panny zooms on it (I tried that) but then it doesn't handle particularly well.

No free lunch. The more I'm thinking about it, I may just wait for the a6000 and see how that fares. The FF sensor has totally ruined me wrt dynamic range. I am consistently amazed at how much highlight blowout can be saved and/or shadows can be pulled.

fwiw the Canon 70D is pretty spectacular for video and the touchscreen usability is excellent - better than the GH3. Still images are so-so, and you don't have an EVF to check focus during video. But rack focusing from the touch-screen is pretty fun (and easy to abuse).

That is one thing about the GM1 - no EVF and you can't add one. I can't see the back screen well enough to judge fine focus detail. So I'm depending on focus peaking and luck unless I've got a good EVF.

lambert

I wasn't specifically recommending the GM1. The GM1 works for me because I prefer to shoot video with AF. I don't like staring through an EVF for lengthy periods while filming video and I also can't easily select my focus point (which I do using the touch screen). If you need an EVF, the GX7 is a better option.

It all comes down to how you shoot video. If you're going to shoot video using MF then EVF/peaking, etc. are important. Equally important is good MF ability and have I yet to shoot with any focus by wire system that is effective. The RX10 may be fine.

Video IQ is also important to me and in this regards the GM1/GX7 are almost as good as a BMPCC or stock 5DIII.

http://vimeo.com/80951606

nostatic

I think I'm going to wait and see how the a6000 plays out. Less of a sensor hit, has an EVF, and I can put the FE lenses on it. Just add something like the 55-210 for shooting long and call it a day.