The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need Help with R Adapter for A7

jaree

Hello All - I got a new FotoDiox Leica-R to Sony-Nex adapter and am noticing something like a "light leak" in corners in high contrast situations. This is happening with Summilux-R 80MM as well as Elmarit-R 100 APO Macro. Lenses are fine and I have used them before. Any idea if this is a defective adapter or some other issue?

View attachment 80263

View attachment 80264

EDIT: Both shots above at ISO 640, F2.8. I have no such issue with FE24-70, various Leica M lenses mounted on Novoflex Leica-M to Nex and Mamiya 200 APO mounted on FotoDiox Mamiya 645 to Nex adapter.

Thx,

eeraj

mazor

check the inside of the adapter. sometimes adding black felt around the insides of the adapter can help reduce internal reflection.

Also are you using a lens hood with your Summilux? It is such a large fast aperture lens, that it is possible that the stray light is entering the lens at sharp angles creating flaring?

jaree

Yes, used the lens hood. Actually it was overcast so no direct "light" was there so to say. This issues also happens with the Elmarit-R 100, again hood/no-hood does not make a difference and there was no direct light source hitting the lens.

Thanks for the feedback, let me see what I can find.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Check the screws on the mount. The lenses could be pulling away from adapter or camera. These are heavy lenses. I had a serious issue with 2 metabones adapters that the screws where lose.

All else fails send Guy the 80 lux. LOL

camping

There are some comments regarding light leaks on the body-lens mount interface on the net. This leak seems to be on the right side (facing camera).

It seems to be common. I do not have link.

Paul

mazor

Camping, would you say the light leak issue would be more pronounced for longer exposure type shooting?

Is it possible Jaree, that the cold weather where you are, and it does look kind of cold is giving some sort of moisture at the rear element or front element?

camping

Mazor

According to the link the leak is for long exposures at high ISO.
This is a new development and one does not know what are the implications with heavier R lenses and the torque they could create when the camera is moved rapidly.

Paul

jaree

Thanks for the inputs gents.

Guy - I will try some more tests tomorrow. As for the 'Lux you can borrow it next time you are in NJ!

Camping - Thanks...I have seen that link before. At this time I am leaning towards the adapter being defective as my Leica M and Mamiya 645 adapters show no such issue.

Mazor - While the weather is cold here in NJ, this is not due to moisture. The "effect" is very visible in live-view also, so I doubt long exposure is the culprit (at least not in my case).

I will do some more tests in daylight tomorrow - there is more to this than meets the eye, literally.

In the meantime, two samples from the A7 + Elmarit-R APO 100MM. Not easy to see in this sample, but the chimneys on the right are losing contrast due to this light-leak/flare issue. But I will say this: when this camera/lens combo hits the mark, it blows it out of the water - see the crop: I have not seen such detail in the wire mesh even with the Leica S2 + Summarit-S 120MM. This house is my favorite test target.

Note: I am supporting the lens and not letting it "hang" just like that from the mount, so I doubt if it is due to its weight, but not ruling it out. But then again, the Mamiya 200 APO is no feather and I get no issues with it. Different adapter and mount obviously, so that MAY be the reason.

benroy

Subscriber Member
You guys need to pay attention...I posted an item in the "fun with" a week or two ago covering the problem with Fotodiox adapters...look it up a few pages back...R lenses and CY lenses both exhibited this light problem...solution: Metabones R to NEX adapter...a very tight fit, but no light leaks.

Roy Benson

Godfrey

You guys need to pay attention...I posted an item in the "fun with" a week or two ago covering the problem with Fotodiox adapters...look it up a few pages back...R lenses and CY lenses both exhibited this light problem...solution: Metabones R to NEX adapter...a very tight fit, but no light leaks.
I've had problems with Metabones adapters.

None with Novoflex. They're pricey but they are the best IMO.
None with Rayqual either, but they have a more limited range of offerings.

G

Guy Mancuso

I agree if I had longer than my Leica 19 I would go out and buy the Novoflex. Mine was a rock with my Nikon mount and the Zeiss 135 F2 ZF.2

mazor

My metabones adapters seems to be alright, no loose screws etc. I even did a light leakage test and found only darkness and noise in my test shots.

jaree

My Novoflex is on order from Germany - I refuse to pay the rip-off prices in the USA. At current exchange rates, the difference is at least $40.

I thought I could use a cheaper adapter in the meantime - obviously did not work. I tried the tests again today - same issue but less severe in sunlight. It is more obvious in high contrast light conditions - very strange to say the least.

Guy Mancuso

End of day given the leica R glass you have you should be happy with the Novoflex as I think they are the best.

mazor

jaree, have you tried putting rubber bands, around the adapter contacts with the A7 mount and lens? Maybe you could also try covering the release switch and try again. It would be good to know what is actually causing these light leak issues, and not just that Fotodiox is a bad adapter :)

jaree

Guy - Agree.

Mazor - Fotodiox adapter itself seems to be well made. No wiggle/wobble. I did try covering the edges, etc, but no difference.

I think it may be a design flaw - the inside of the adapter, while black, is very glossy and I am just not sure how it is interacting with the deeply recessed lens on both the R 100 and 80. I am just guessing of course.

I have ordered a replacement from Amazon (great customer service, btw, no issues with return - they shipped the replacement within an hour of my request by FedEx priority, free shipping included). I don't expect anything different from the replacement, though. Will update the thread when I have it in my hand.

The Novoflex better be perfect, as I cannot part with the two R Amigos.

mazor

Guy - Agree.

Mazor - Fotodiox adapter itself seems to be well made. No wiggle/wobble. I did try covering the edges, etc, but no difference.

I think it may be a design flaw - the inside of the adapter, while black, is very glossy and I am just not sure how it is interacting with the deeply recessed lens on both the R 100 and 80. I am just guessing of course.

I have ordered a replacement from Amazon (great customer service, btw, no issues with return - they shipped the replacement within an hour of my request by FedEx priority, free shipping included). I don't expect anything different from the replacement, though. Will update the thread when I have it in my hand.

The Novoflex better be perfect, as I cannot part with the two R Amigos.

true true, it may well be the glossy finnish may be the cause, hence why I suggested sticking black felt onto the shiny bits. I noticed my metabones EF to NEX gen one adapter had black felt stuck around the shroud.