The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 135 vs Zeiss 135

ryc

maybe lens and adapter who knows. but focus on watch is spot on with both versions.

Malina DZ

maybe lens and adapter who knows.
Slightly different camera angle between two lenses test.
135/2 APO has an edge in CA control and some sharpness. BTW, 135/1.8 ZA is one of the best performing lenses in A-mount system.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Guy has detailed his use of both lenses on the A7r, in his posts in this forum. He settled on the ZA for his work. I wouldn't use one photo set from each to determine my choice.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
First they are both amazing but as far as sharpness and look I would give the 1.8 the nod. But it does have a touch more CA. Now on sharpness it's really really close wide open but the 1.8 is hair better at F2. Its so close it really is splitting hairs. Bokeh at 1.8 is just gorgeous. I sold the F2 for the 1.8 just because I get AF out of it. Happy decision and I really loved the F2. So even my call to go with the 1.8 was splitting hairs. Focusing since it is AF is little more buttery than the F2 which is a touch stiff. But here is the best part even though the ZA 85 and 135 are AF glass I think the are the best on the market because there is feel in manual focusing the ZA 85 and 135. Most AF. Lenses do a very poor job with feel when going manual focus.

They are both great and a famous saying guys is I would not throw either one of them out of bed. I know that's bad, sorry ladies. Lol

Guy Mancuso

Oh the one other benefit of the 1.8 is aperture control in camera and you get all the EXIF data a as well. The F2 benefit is if in a ZF.2 mount you can of course shoot with a Nikon body. FE with. Metabones 3 adapter you get all the EXIF data and control back in the camera. On the Zeiss 25f2 I just bought I went ZE mount for that reason to get all the EXIF and aperture control in camera but the adapter is 400 dollars .

Seriously either lens is just flat out outstanding you just can't make a bad buying decision here

ryc

Agree. Both lenses are superb. Question is do I keep the ZF for my F6 or just get rid of it since I am 99% sony now. I just hate to et rid of good glass.

BTW Gyt, had the 25 f2 which was amazing especially at close focus. Got rid of that and am waiting for my 24 f2 ZA

Guy Mancuso

Here is my take on the whole thing. I came from Nikon so I had all Nikon mounts. Leica 19mm converted with Leitax mount which i need to sell, Sigma 35mm 1.4, zeiss 135 F2, Nikon 85mm 1.8 and Zeiss 35mm F2 all in Nikon mounts. So after a bit with the Sony I just decided that nikon really has nothing to offer me anymore and really nothing new hit the streets that I had my eye on. The D4s is just not my need and was hoping for 36mpx or above updated D800e so i threw in the towel on them and started thinking Sony all the way. So i converted my Leica R back to its original mount and get a Metabones R to E adapter and thats working great. Re bought the Zeiss 25mm F2 in Canon mount with Metabones III adapter since it gives me all Exif data and aperture in camera. Love the combination but I came really close to getting the ZA 24mm F2 but I knew how good the Z 25mm was so I went back to it, than I added a Voightlander 40mm Ultron in Canon mount since I have the adapter for Canon. I kind of like the thing very small and compact. I did not have good luck with the 35mm FE lens, had a bad copy. The 55mm 1.8 FE I have a amazing copy of it. Than on the 85 and 135 I decided to go ZA with the Sony adapter since I can still get AF when needed. I'm really happy with my setup and the A7 and A7r but I need the 24-70 FE lens pretty badly for PR type stuff. Im actually thinking of selling the 55mm 1.8 to get it but this one is so damn good I hate to get rid of excellent glass when i have a outstanding copy of it. But I need to figure out what to do on that. I need in long glass a FE lens to get my AF points where I need them but that 70-200 is something I can rent for my shows i do. Outside of that there is pretty much nothing I am lacking functionally. So its a tough call and i had to decide the same thing hang on with Nikon mounts or move on. I decided moving on was the answer for me and I am hoping Sony keeps on innovating and taking things to the next level as i feel Canon and Nikon just died in there tracks. Im thinking ahead here.