The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alt lenses and EXIF

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

Question. For those of us using non native lenses, are you amending the EXIF details to show your lens and taking aperture? I was going back over a couple of photos from a few months back and for the life of me I can just about remember the lens and can't for the life of me remember the aperture. Give it a year and there's not a chance I'll remember. Not important perhaps but often useful when people ask for opinions and you want to show an example or just to remember what setting worked so well, etc. Also interesting when collating your lens usage to get a clearer picture of how you are shooting.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Why I bought Canon mounts for my Z 25 F2 and Ultron 40. I use the Metabones III adapter and get full Exif data plus aperture control in camera. My one lens I do not is the Leica 19 and I do not amend the Exif since it's pretty clear it's a super wide looking at the images

Godfrey

I use EXIFtool to inject lens name, focal length, and either lens maximum aperture or taking aperture into the raw files. (If I pull the files onto my computer shortly after a shooting session, I put the taking aperture as best I remember it in; otherwise, I just put the lens maximum aperture.)

Honestly, though, I hardly ever look at the exposure data. It's interesting in an academic way, but it doesn't really net any real gain to my understanding of a lens' behavior unless I'm shooting tests to analyze a lens in the first place. I can pretty easily see "wide open" or "stopped down" by the characteristics of the captured photo.

The ISO setting and the focal length info are the most interesting of the EXIF specifics if I want to get an idea of what I've been up to. Since I only rarely carry more than three lenses at any given session, I can usually remember that for quite a time. :)

G

Jason Abbott

There are a few Lightroom plugins for this. I use one called LensTagger. I've incorporated it into my usual post-shoot, pre-process select and tag (keyword) step.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Quickest answer for LR users: when you import, add in the caption box something like "leica M 28 Cron" and then sync metadata to all in that series. Makes it searchable.

Godfrey

Quickest answer for LR users: when you import, add in the caption box something like "leica M 28 Cron" and then sync metadata to all in that series. Makes it searchable.
I put lens names like that into keywords, not the caption. It's just as searchable that way, and I know I'll always get the tag exactly the same. :)

The odd thing I've found with Sony .ARF files (and converted to .DNG as well) is that I haven't found a way yet to get the lens name into EXIF such that it shows up in LR's list. Focal length and aperture are no problem. Lens ID and Lens Name tags don't seem to work.

alajuela

Hi

I have also wondered the same thing.

Does anybody know a way to batch EXIF data in Capture One?

Thanks

Phil

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Never tried it but I think if you select all the images you need you can amend the meta data in the meta data tab make the adjustment and copy to all selected. Essentially just how you would do normal adjustments and copy and paste to all selected

alajuela

Never tried it but I think if you select all the images you need you can amend the meta data in the meta data tab make the adjustment and copy to all selected. Essentially just how you would do normal adjustments and copy and paste to all selected
Thank you Guy

I'll give it a try this weekend

Best

Phil

Ben Rubinstein

I put lens names like that into keywords, not the caption. It's just as searchable that way, and I know I'll always get the tag exactly the same. :)

The odd thing I've found with Sony .ARF files (and converted to .DNG as well) is that I haven't found a way yet to get the lens name into EXIF such that it shows up in LR's list. Focal length and aperture are no problem. Lens ID and Lens Name tags don't seem to work.
I didn't think of using keywords...

pegelli

For MF/non electronic lenses I also use keywords in LR to make it searchable. I immediately assign these after importing, otherwise I forget. I don't record the aperture used, so I also don't keep that data in a keyword or exif. I usually remember if a shot was wide open or stopped down a bit but that's all.

When I change lenses I usually take a shot of the lens I took off to see where the breaks are for assigning the next lens-id/keyword

D

Deleted member 7792

I use two tools:

ExifChanger, a Mac OS app that's available through the Apple App Store or directly from the author's website. This app allows you to add/change much of the EXIF, including the lens information without opening LR. The ExifTool utility is the underlying engine of ExifChanger. The UI of ExifChanger is much more user friendly than using ExifTool directly. The user can create presets for frequently used metadata.

LensTagger plugin for LR that you can use to add lens information, including working aperture. LensTagger also allows the user to create presets that can be used for future shoots.​

Hope this helps.

Joe

Annna T

I use two tools:

ExifChanger, a Mac OS app that's available through the Apple App Store or directly from the author's website. This app allows you to add/change much of the EXIF, including the lens information without opening LR. The ExifTool utility is the underlying engine of ExifChanger. The UI of ExifChanger is much more user friendly than using ExifTool directly. The user can create presets for frequently used metadata.

LensTagger plugin for LR that you can use to add lens information, including working aperture. LensTagger also allows the user to create presets that can be used for future shoots.​

Hope this helps.

Joe
Another vote for Lenstagger. I was formerly using PIE from Picmeta, but find that doing things from within LR is more convenient.

There ís both a Window and an Apple version and it is a free plugin, although donation are possible :

LensTagger Lightroom plugin