The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ISO 6400

dave92029

Yesterday I was able to take a tour of the GIA facility in Carlsbad, CA. The GIA are the people who train jewelers to know which stone, is what gem, and how to consistently grade stones.

The lighting is very challenging because of the thick protective glass that you have to shoot through, and high intensity lighting in dark rooms.

Generally I have my auto ISO set with a maximum of 3200, but because of the conditions I increased the maximum to 6400.

I was surprised at the detail in this shot @ISO 6400
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave92029/12958032005/

Here is an one taken at ISO 250
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave92029/12958036345/

Comments are welcome

Last edited:

nostatic

Last night my wife was shooting my gig at a local club. Mix of stills and video so the 24-70/4 was used, and for stills everything was at 12800 and about 1/10 to 1/50th. Still got usable stills (the ability to tweak in post is really helpful) and the video looked excellent.

dave92029

Last night my wife was shooting my gig at a local club. Mix of stills and video so the 24-70/4 was used, and for stills everything was at 12800 and about 1/10 to 1/50th. Still got usable stills (the ability to tweak in post is really helpful) and the video looked excellent.
Would you post some of your shots @ ISO 12800, and tell us what you are doing to clean up the noise?

I use LR5.3 and adjust the contrast and luminesence to about 20. Anything thing else that I can do to improve high ISO shots?

Thanks
Dave

nostatic

Here are shots. Nothing to clean up noise - a few exposure tweaks here and there and no WB changes - basically these are just SOOC raw process in LR5. She was shooting program mode, AF. She has shot the same venue with the 6D and the results are similar wrt both file quality and AF performance, which actually speaks well for the A7r AF. The video was very clean with far less hunting that either GH3 or 6D. If she was just shooting stills, the 55/1.8 would have allowed for faster shutter and probably some better results.

nostatic @ TRiP