Site Sponsors

Thread: ISO 6400

Post Thanks / Like

ISO 6400

Yesterday I was able to take a tour of the GIA facility in Carlsbad, CA. The GIA are the people who train jewelers to know which stone, is what gem, and how to consistently grade stones.

The lighting is very challenging because of the thick protective glass that you have to shoot through, and high intensity lighting in dark rooms.

Generally I have my auto ISO set with a maximum of 3200, but because of the conditions I increased the maximum to 6400.

I was surprised at the detail in this shot @ISO 6400
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave92029/12958032005/

Here is an one taken at ISO 250
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave92029/12958036345/

Comments are welcome
    Last edited by dave92029; 6th March 2014 at 07:45. Reason: no image

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ISO 6400

Last night my wife was shooting my gig at a local club. Mix of stills and video so the 24-70/4 was used, and for stills everything was at 12800 and about 1/10 to 1/50th. Still got usable stills (the ability to tweak in post is really helpful) and the video looked excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Last night my wife was shooting my gig at a local club. Mix of stills and video so the 24-70/4 was used, and for stills everything was at 12800 and about 1/10 to 1/50th. Still got usable stills (the ability to tweak in post is really helpful) and the video looked excellent.
    Would you post some of your shots @ ISO 12800, and tell us what you are doing to clean up the noise?

I use LR5.3 and adjust the contrast and luminesence to about 20. Anything thing else that I can do to improve high ISO shots?

Thanks
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Here are shots. Nothing to clean up noise - a few exposure tweaks here and there and no WB changes - basically these are just SOOC raw process in LR5. She was shooting program mode, AF. She has shot the same venue with the 6D and the results are similar wrt both file quality and AF performance, which actually speaks well for the A7r AF. The video was very clean with far less hunting that either GH3 or 6D. If she was just shooting stills, the 55/1.8 would have allowed for faster shutter and probably some better results.

nostatic @ TRiP
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find that the problem is colour not noise at iso 25600. I also have my auto iso at a max of 12800.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed - I find 12800 to be usable, 25600 it starts to fall apart quickly.