The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Excellent review of the Zeiss 24-70 f4

jonoslack

Hi there
Once again Tim has done an exhaustive (but not exhausting) review. It's excellently written and has some fine photos

Worth mentioning that Tim has no advertising and makes no money from his blog.

Zeiss 24-70 review

Enjoy!

Last edited:

jfirneno

That really was a thorough review. Kudos! I may have to get that lens. I want to compare it to a Sony a-mount zoom I currently have parked on my A7R (Tamron 28-75 f2.8). It's a cheapo but I get very good results as a walk-around from it. If the 24-70 is as good it'll be a no brainer (OSS, AF etc.).

Regards,
John

iiiNelson

Wow... Thorough review but I find the most credible "praise" (or condemnation for lack of a better word) ANYONE could ever give is when their money goes on the counter or when they sacrifice perfectly good gear to go towards the new system. I'm actually at a similar crossroads myself where I'm about to give up the M9-P as my primary 35mm color photography system. I was thinking of going MF but I think a Monochrom makes so much more sense FOR ME.

This is the Sony forum so yeah just another lens I'll have to add. The best part is fits in nicely with my pursuit of an all Zeiss look kit for the A7 and A7r. I just bought a Contax 85/1.4, 135/2.8, and 180/2/8 in C/Y mount for portraits. I don't do too much long stuff and they weren't terribly expensive compared to buying Leica R lenses.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks people!

As I'm sure you're aware, DXO's results are out and it makes interesting reading.

HiredArm, my cash is well and truly over the counter on this one as you can tell - and I'm now in the process of selling off a vast array of other stuff. I hate the hit but honestly, most of it I just don't use any more! I'm going to get the Metabones III and the Canon 24mm tilt shift and also the upcoming FE 70-200 and continue to use my Nikon mount Zeiss 21mm F2.8, Samyang 14mm and probably Zeiss Macro Planar 100mm while I wait for more EF lenses to arrive... this is the single biggest system change I've ever made. I just hope that Sony one day does a Mark II with a better shutter, IBIS, and the bloody shutter button in the right place...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks people!

As I'm sure you're aware, DXO's results are out and it makes interesting reading.

HiredArm, my cash is well and truly over the counter on this one as you can tell - and I'm now in the process of selling off a vast array of other stuff. I hate the hit but honestly, most of it I just don't use any more! I'm going to get the Metabones III and the Canon 24mm tilt shift and also the upcoming FE 70-200 and continue to use my Nikon mount Zeiss 21mm F2.8, Samyang 14mm and probably Zeiss Macro Planar 100mm while I wait for more EF lenses to arrive... this is the single biggest system change I've ever made. I just hope that Sony one day does a Mark II with a better shutter, IBIS, and the bloody shutter button in the right place...
I know the feeling bud. Right now there is no turning back , I'm all in. Now to buy the zoom. Here we go again. Lol

iiiNelson

Thanks people!

Agreed and I'm filling out my "gaps" with adapted lens. The A7 and 55 isn't going anywhere and I have a 35/2.8 preordered and paid for but assuming it's not in when I make it bad stateside I may switch that order to the 24-70 and pay the extra difference. I have the Rokinon 14 as well. I'm leaning towards picking up the 70-200/4 and swapping it for my A-mount one... maybe. I'm good with the Zeiss Contax 85, 135, and 180 combo (with the appropriate Novoflex adapters) for now based off results I've seen from them. Now this all means I may need a new bag with swapping gear like this.

jfirneno

Thanks people!

I just hope that Sony one day does a Mark II with a better shutter, IBIS, and the bloody shutter button in the right place...
Tim: I would bet that Sony will have a new A-X (A-7XYZ or A8 or A9 or all of the above) on the market within the year. The only question is what changes they will make. Sometimes they fix a mistake but then also leave out a feature that you really like. But of late they seem to actually be listening to people's comments so who knows maybe we are at the dawn of a new age of Sony customer satisfaction.

Regards,
John

jonoslack

Tim: I would bet that Sony will have a new A-X (A-7XYZ or A8 or A9 or all of the above) on the market within the year. The only question is what changes they will make. Sometimes they fix a mistake but then also leave out a feature that you really like. But of late they seem to actually be listening to people's comments so who knows maybe we are at the dawn of a new age of Sony customer satisfaction.

Regards,
John
Hi there John........ Although Sony replace their entry level cameras with startling rapidity, it's not so true of the top of the range: How long was it between the A900 and the A99.... Between the A700 and the A77. Between the A77 and the ........ Between the NEX 7 and the ....... You see what I mean. I think the big hope is that there is a 'professional' build A7 camera to come soon, hopefully with a quieter shutter. EFC and more convincing weather sealing.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think they know they're starting to eat Canikon's lunch and what with them scaling back on some produce areas such as TVs, they have given much more emphasis to imaging products in future. If they get the Fujii mojo right in terms of being responsive and providing timely FW updates, we'll all be happy.

One thing's for sure: I never again want to shoot with something with the size, weight and appearance of the Battleship Potemkin, unless I really really have to!

jonoslack

One thing's for sure: I never again want to shoot with something with the size, weight and appearance of the Battleship Potemkin, unless I really really have to!
What's this "really have to" thing Tim?
I thought you could do as you like? :p

tashley

Subscriber Member
I largely can, thank God. But sometimes I need, for whatever reason, to use a camera that can 'do' tracking well. They're all huge!

jfirneno

Hi there John........ Although Sony replace their entry level cameras with startling rapidity, it's not so true of the top of the range: How long was it between the A900 and the A99.... Between the A700 and the A77. Between the A77 and the ........ Between the NEX 7 and the ....... You see what I mean. I think the big hope is that there is a 'professional' build A7 camera to come soon, hopefully with a quieter shutter. EFC and more convincing weather sealing.
Jono:
It is true that Sony has stalled out on several lines of equipment (as you say, the DSLRs and the SLTs). I guess I'm being optimistic in assuming that the A7s have been successful enough to encourage Sony to proceed full speed in the mirrorless arena. If the A6000 really does prove Sony capable of building competent mirrorless autofocus cameras then I wouldn't be surprised to see that "pro-level" full-frame appearing at the end of the year. Of course I'm exposing my unbridled enthusiasm (read Sony fanboy optimism) but it's starting to feel like spring and that is when a young (!) man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love (of gear). Sony has suckered me in again. As the poker players say, "I'm all in."

Regards,
John

Worth mentioning that Tim has no advertising and makes no money from his blog.
Enjoy!
Haven't read it yet, but I will for sure.

But, what I really want to highlight and point out is in the quote from Jono. That is rare these days and should be appreciated and applauded. How often do you get a chance to read any kind of good/thoroug information in the web these days, without getting hammered by ads?

Also, working with infosec I know all too well that it's quite common to get the nasty on your computer from these ads. And this even from well known sites like the new york times, because they have zero control over advertising servers from 3rd parties... could rant about this for hours!

But anyway, thank you Tim!

//Juha

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
I enjoy it Juha, and I hate advertising popping up while I'm reading too. In fact what I doubly hate is subscription sites with advertising...

Just read it through and it was a really nice piece!

The killer bit was Tim stating that Leica M & lenses are gone.. wow, who would have thought so? I did the same for my M9, but we're talking different league here.. Some photo gods are turning in their grave! :)

Just goes to show how exceptional system Sony has managed to develop. The tides are changing in the world of photography and old giants need to up their game or they'll vanish into margins.

//Juha

iiiNelson

Just goes to show how exceptional system Sony has managed to develop. The tides are changing in the world of photography and old giants need to up their game or they'll vanish into margins.

//Juha
I agree with the reality in how good the Sony system is beginning to be. I would like to see more from them (consistent support for the higher end bodies, more lenses of excellent quality, etc.) We are in a different enthusiast category from the majority of consumers. So while I agree I also know the average consumer associate dSLR as "pro" and anything else is just not - case in point I have a family member tell me at Christmas that I should get a Canon Digital Rebel (over my A7 and A7r) because it was professional... I kinda of laughed on the inside because the lenses on either one of my cameras costs more than his kit and lenses combined (not to mention he had no idea of how to work anything on the camera so it was constant AF mode in AUTO.) That being said that's the attitude and mentality that has to be overcome in the long run.

I don't think that Canon or Nikon are going anywhere and I'd argue that mobile phones are the largest threat to them. I think whoever decides to come out with a dedicated "large format" sensor in a cell phone (between Apple, Google, or Samsung) that emphasizes IQ (and no I'm not talking about jamming 41MP on a standard cell phone sensor) will be able to make major waves in mobile photography. Sony actually has a great product with the QX10/100 accessories. I've seen many people with them for the sole purpose of taking better Instagram and VSCO selfies...

The title of this thread says it all. Well done Tim.

I have been testing my own copy of the 24-70mm and have discovered first-hand much of what Tim reports. In fact, I did a big smile and nod of concurrence when I read his "one golden rule" for use of the lens because I had just employed the same technique while shooting the day before.

anGy

You're lucky if you can be satisfied with the Sony system after having been a medium format user. The A7r does offer a lot of advantages for sure. Probably the best current DSLR IQ.
But don't you miss the MF look/IQ ?