The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfirneno

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

"New Kid On The Block" And a first test shot with it. Funny, in some way it fits to the previous discussion.
Congrats Werner:

I've always loved that lens. I find it a great (but very heavy) walk-around lens for my A850. It makes anything you shoot look good. I also really like it as a portrait lens but try to only use it on people under 40 years old. It's just too sharp for folks as old as me! I think I've alienated several sisters-in-law using it in the past.

Regards,
John

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel...I'm not so sure if that "Bust" in the window is PC or not?
or whether or not Bart's 100 naked sheep and one naked dog in a field is really safe for public viewing.
So I will refrain from commenting on your Garage/Calendar shot Werner as in fear of any reprisals.
But then who am I to judge when I have seemingly over exposed my buns (NSTE) not safe to eat.

All I do know is that I am retired and I am enjoying my crisps :watch:
You know why I never go to England anymore; to many tabloids hanging around in your country :LOL:

W.Utsch

Thanks all!
The 135 is big and even more heavy. But i think such a lens has to be (and can only be) big and heavy.
Though it handles surprisingly good on the A7R. The AF is very good and accurate.

As a very good review, i second 100%, i point you to phillipreeve.net
More pics to come...

"Waiting For The Look"

DSC09636.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

G43

Big congrats Werner

http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/500-zeiss_135_18ff

I think Photozone says it all. I can count on two or three fingers how many lenses ever got that high rating from those morning sour guys ;-)
Certainly a lens I am considering. I just got the nice and awesome good Contax G90 2.8 that completes my set from 21 to 90. The 135 mm misses.
I will not ask how much you paid, but perhaps you would tell where to look for it?

dwood

'wooden lobster buoy, study 4' - a7r / FE 55

Here in Maine, the lobster fishery is king. Today, lobster traps and buoys are all produced from 'modern' materials. Back in the day, this stuff was made from wood. I recently found six of these old, original wooden buoys in a barn in Downeast (way 'up' the coast) Maine. These were all hand-carved/shaped by the fisherman that used them, and then were painted with his specific color combination. They would often carve in a set of numbers or initials to help further identify them. The color coding is still used today to identify a lobsterman's traps. These old buoys are fascinating to look at, for me anyway. It's a glimpse into the past. Here's one of the six images I made in the series.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Congrats Werner!

The 135 is an outstanding piece of beauty and a lot of fun to work with because it can get pretty close to an object as well. I like it the most from my setup because of it's versatility. I imagine it must feel enormous on an A7R. :)

G43

Nice to be in the comfort zone where the lens out-resolves the sensor, as in this case.

G43

'wooden lobster buoy, study 4' - a7r / FE 55
Love you kept the highlights textured and let the shadows block. That's the way we see. Very good control of the exposure.
Details, contrast almost Foveon like... however this image is incredible small.

dwood

Love you kept the highlights textured and let the shadows block. That's the way we see. Very good control of the exposure.
Details, contrast almost Foveon like... however this image is incredible small.
here's a version that's a bit larger...

G43

Until you make it that large that the eye goes to the slightly and forgivable blown highlights rather than the object that I suppose is the colored wood hammer hanging there?
Our eyes are attracted to highlights or and contrast. So the whatever is the object our eyes are lead to that. That better not be in a corner of an image as it takes our attention straight out beyond the broader frame.

Barry Haines

You know why I never go to England anymore; to many tabloids hanging around in your country :LOL:
Michiel...You got me :( - I can't argue with that!
Netherlands 1 England 0 :cry:

Werner...looking forward to seeing some crazy f1.8 boke :watch:
Phillip is a great photographer IMHO he is always happy to help others.
It was his work with the 58mm f1.2 Rokkor that made me decide to get one.

Doug...Small or large nice pic mate, I like the dual toning. :thumbup:

(BLENCOMO - treatment) Taken this evening...Cheers Barry

Original

jfirneno

Here's a few more from the safari. Animals were taken with the Contax 180/2.8 FLE. Landscapes were with the Sony 55 FE and the Rokinon 14.

r
Hired Arm:
Even though I am a reptile enthusiast and the croc should be my pick, I have to go with those river and falls shots. Great color and exciting vista. Must have been something to see in person.

Regards,
John

Last edited:

ZoranC

I lived for 17 years in California
Then you are very well aware of the culture of United States that you very well know many members here are from and thus have even less excuse for your disrepect.

It is OK if you complain and i can take critics but you should not write about what i am capable......or not.
You are obviously not capable of respecting others because picture in question is still fully displayed even after you have been asked to respect common courtesy rule.

PS: Don't want to spread this but i would like to hear others opinion on this matter and my posted pic.
You don't want to spread this but then incite others for "popular vote" on it? Funny. In any case respecting netiquette / others is not open for "who is Mr Popularity" vote.

ZoranC

Zoran - Would you object as vociferously to, say, a poster of a topless Richard Gere by Gorman as you do to this rather common sight in every mechanic's garage in all corners of the world. Just want to know how you feel about the ubiquitous double standard.
pfigen,

You state you live in Culver City, California. If that is correct then:

1. You should be very well aware this is _not_ a rather common sight in _every_ mechanic's garage in _all_ corners of the world. For start visit several car dealerships that are in your neighborhood and ask their Human Resources how much of a tolerance they have for pictures like that one hanging in their mechanics' workplaces (they will all say it is zero per their policies) and what are the consequences of breaking that policy (they will all tell you employment termination). Report back what you found.

2. You should be very well aware of what culture here is / laws are. If you want to pretend to be dumb here please try same experiment elsewhere by posting picture of woman with naked breasts in public visible place, see how that will fly and will they care about your "ubiquitous double standard" ramblings.

Wow - ubiquitous and vociferous in the same post. I'm impressed.
... and I am not impressed, quite the opposite, because it is rather common that people reach for "big words" as a crutch whenever what they are saying is rather ... empty?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

TBH, I find it somewhat ironic that there's a need to filter as NSFW a photo of a workplace ... :facesmack:

However, I do understand the desire not to have nudity, or I guess pictures of pictures of nudity, pop up unexpectedly if viewing in a public place. That said, I do hope we're past Puritan sensibilities as far as photography generally is concerned.

ZoranC

That said, I do hope we're past Puritan sensibilities as far as photography generally is concerned.
This has nothing to do with "Puritan sensibilities" (whatever is that supposed to mean). I myself am not a "Puritan" but I still find this post inappropriate. It has nothing to do with fact it was a female body, I am not offended when I see one, but with fact that, I firmly believe, common decency and courtesy were disrespected when this post was made.

Common decency and courtesy say one shouldn't force onto public display of what one knows general public shouldn't be exposed to without their consent. That was not respected.

Common net decency and courtesy say one shouldn't post NSFW content in general sections, especially not when there is no NSFW warning that gives chance to those that don't want to be exposed to it avoid it. That was not respected.

Common decency and courtesy say one should respect local culture. Poster did live 17 years in US / California, knows this is mainly US board and knows there are members from California and thus he can't claim ignorance, he is very familiar with local culture. Thus he didn't respect local culture either.

It's not about "puritanism". It is about being disrespected.

Status
Not open for further replies.