The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

About this picture, I posted before: At the time I took this picture a guy wanted to jump from the Madame Tussauds building. Police officers were talking him out of this bad idea.
On the detail you can see one of the police guys talking to him. An inflatable was already placed under the building in case of. He didn't jump and was brought to a hospital for mental care. This is what we red the same day in a newspaper laying around in the New York metro.

tbhv55

@Barry,
Two first-rate shots of the pier - Clevedon, if I'm not mistaken?

The first (B&W) is superb - well seen!:thumbup: The second is simple and (as per the title...:)) elegant. I like the processing very much - did you post-process from Raw, or is that straight from the camera?

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Nice shooting Bill, especially like the heron. The second is very subtle but for my taste could be even made a little lighter to get even more of a misty mood. Just a thought, hope you don't mind me saying that.

After dropping off our girls in Antwerp yesterday I took a short trip to the decaying grain silos that are still standing there, but I don't think for much longer.

Both NEX6 + Summaron M 35/2.8

Barry Haines

@Barry,
Two first-rate shots of the pier - Clevedon, if I'm not mistaken?

The first (B&W) is superb - well seen!:thumbup: The second is simple and (as per the title...:)) elegant. I like the processing very much - did you post-process from Raw, or is that straight from the camera?
Many thanks tbhv55, glad you liked them both....You are correct it is Clevedon pier in Somerset, well spotted a beautiful pier for sure.

This was processed from RAW converted to DNG (CS4)...I always take both a RAW and a jpg at the same time (I use the jpg only to quickly analyse the image before starting on the RAW image)
I have included the SOOC jpg as a before and after so you can see the differences in processing.

Before...

After...

GetDPI is a sharing community so here is my typical workflow as best as I can remember for you or anybody who is interested (apologies to those who are not).

RAW>DNG>CS (ACR..Only basic corrections like exposure, vignetting etc...) open.

When in CS straighten up the images horizon and then correct perspective and crop...Save as a Tiff.

Open the Tiff into LR and then Export to Mogrify 2 LR/Mogrify 2 - Add Watermarks, Border and Text Annotions to Images Exported by Adobe Lightroom 2 the image (In other words add a preset frame with title, author and lens info etc.)

Re-open back into CS (for Labcolor processing) and run this free downsizing/sharpening Web Sharpener CS4+ script Web Sharpener - Better Sharpening for the WebAndreas Resch – Naturfotografie
Andreas Resch - Websharpener script is just wonderful IMO, you can control the final output size (I use 1600x1600px maximum output for Flickr) and the actual amount of sharpening on layers together with contrast and saturation...I have pretty well tried most downsizing sharpeners out there, this is my favourite for sure but it can only be done in CS4 (or above) because it steps down in increments using the Lab color method.

Once happy with the image flatten off the layers off and convert the Lab colour to SRGB and save as a new Tiff.

Zoom into the corner where the image touches the frame and make a selection around the image only (This means all changes from now on in only have a effect upon the image itself and not the frame)...Make a thin black, grey or white (penline 1 px wide your choice) using Edit>Stroke.

BLENCOMO (BLENding COlour with MOno) treatment.
Keeping the same selection (marching ants) and now open filters (Nik software Silver Efex Pro 2)...I use a slight variant Preset of my own which is very similar to the std. Preset *015 included - but with less noise.> OK. (It’s like getting an instant black and white TONEMAPPED image which adds some drama to an image...vary the SOFT CONTRAST slider to taste or even add a tone like, sepia, selenium etc... should you so wish).

Go to the Layers and fade the opacity to around 50% (It much depends on the colour within the image itself) and then flatten off the layers, you should now have a pastel coloured image which needs bringing back to colour life by adjusting the (Image>Adjustments>Vibrance) Vary the vibrance and saturation to taste.

Still with the selection on use the graduated filter to Colour Burn down the Sky (Edit>FADE GRADIENT) and the Ground up (Edit>FADE GRADIENT) to form a base for the image.

Correct the White balance (I use Pictocolour PictoColor Software: Color Correction Software and Photoshop Plugins ).

Final step...Auto Contrast (Edit>FADE CONTAST) whilst watching the Histogram doesn’t burn out the Highlights...Add some curves, dodge tool (highlight) along pier strip and clone out birds and insects flying in the sky, deselect selection and save as a jpg....Takes me about 30-40 minutes most images.

Hope that gives you some insight to my typical workflow....Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

About this picture, I posted before: At the time I took this picture a guy wanted to jump from the Madame Tussauds building. Police officers were talking him out of this bad idea.
On the detail you can see one of the police guys talking to him. An inflatable was already placed under the building in case of. He didn't jump and was brought to a hospital for mental care. This is what we red the same day in a newspaper laying around in the New York metro.

Michiel...The news story adds a whole new dimension to that image, thanks for sharing it with us all.
Cheers Barry

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks, Barry! It was later that I saw a photo of about the same situation in a newspaper. Our photographs must have been made at about the same time.

Also thank for taking the time for showing your workflow. You sure spend a lot of time per image for images for the web! But it does show!
I do not always have that patience, I do spend more time on them for printing.
I do use Andreas Resch Websharpener as well which does a great job.

New York window

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Silo city, Buffalo.

Abandoned Silos

I wish I had a TS lens for this kind of work :cry:
Michiel, I know exactly how you feel when shooting with SWA and WA lenses in this sort of situation.

Having in this instance disposed of over half the file after levelling, correcting perspective, barrel distortion (via PTLens) and then the usual final crop, we invariably end up treating our FF cameras like APS-C or even MFT cameras at times.
I am already at 16mm on the WATE trying to get this all in :facesmack: If I stepped back any further I would be in the Bristol Channel :eek: No way am I going to stitch 16mm images together :scry:
I can envisage Carl smiling as he reads this...No problem just get a Cambo Aptus and an APO Grandagon. :grin:
None the less looking at the “ORIGINAL” I am fairly happy how it all turned out...But then I wouldn’t want to make an A2 print from it either.

PS.
Thank you Louis, Jim and Michiel for your kind words, I like to share :sleep006:
My workflow varies constantly but this is basically what I do most of the time in short nowadays...I do spend even longer making an A2 print believe it or not.

Werner, I swear that 135mm lens of yours is improving with age, like those glorious Autumn vineyards of yours in Germany...”The Eiswein Cometh” :chug:
I have only just spotted the Masonic “All seeing Eye” in the very centre "Cupola Enlightened II" of your Jesuit Church, Mannheim...nicely seen and brilliantly executed as usual.

Hodad66, excellent manually focused surfing shots, who needs AF. :thumbup:

Michiel, Websharpener is ideal for GetDPI as long as you have CS4 or higher which you obviously have...Well worth a try for anybody with CS4 or above who hasn't tried it already yet.

Cheers Barry

pegelli

@ Barry: UPSTAIRS CAFE CLEVEDON PIER: I see some severe pixelation above the highest roofridge of the cafe :ROTFL:

Great shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.