The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMaher

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

: I would like to add that IBIS and EFC would make this camera close to perfect for my needs.
Even one of the above would get me to buy the next generation. Both would be fantastic (but IBIS is unlikely)

Jim

bcf

Thanks, Ron and Jim.

Up to now, I've shot about half/half hand-held and from tripod. For hand-held work, I try to shoot at shutter speeds of 1/3f or faster. This has worked well even in challenging situations, e.g. when working from a small boat in a slight sea state.
Does this mean that you need to use higher ISOs? Up to which level would you comfortably go on the A7R?

Edit: I would like to add that IBIS and EFC would make this camera close to perfect for my needs.
:)

Ron Pfister

Does this mean that you need to use higher ISOs?
That depends a lot on how much light you have available, of course. When shooting in low light, I usually use a tripod.

Up to which level would you comfortably go on the A7R?
That depends a lot on final use of the image. I consider up to ISO 1600 as safe territory for large prints (32x24") if need be, but I try to stay below ISO 800 whenever possible. For web use, the sky's the limit… ;)

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

NB: the above image was taken at Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire. An amazing place that's well worth a visit!

While I'm on the subject of birds, here a few more, all of them taken at Látrabjarg in NW Iceland. This is the most impressive seabird breeding colony I have seen to date. Not to be missed if you're in the Western Fjords region of Iceland!

Michiel Schierbeek

Why Joe? :):confused:

I found the painting more important then the woman, isn't that funny.
It does not seem to mean Out of office.

Rarely uttered aloud, the work "oof" belongs to the world of comic strips, not the great literature and art, and particularly not to painting. We expect the emphatic word to appear wrapped in a speech bubble with an exclamation point at the end, but Ruscha has dedicated a large-scale painting to it as if it were worthy of veneration. Of his work from this period Ruscha has said, "I was interested in monosyllabic word sounds that seemed to have a certain comedic value to them." In capital letters, "oof" floats against an empty blue backdrop, suspended somewhere between image and language and between iconicity and absurdity.

Barry Haines

In my narrow photographic world, "oof" means "out of focus". My humor tends to be less than obvious. My apologies to the artist and to you Michiel. ;)

Joe
Joe, he can't help it - You know the poor old boy is knocking on a bit!
You have too make a few allowances for him at his time of life :ROTFL:

(Yes, I know I have said it B4...But it seemed even more appropriate this time).

Hilarious....Nice one Michiel :D

Sorry everybody, I just couldn't resist adding this one.

Last edited:

turtle

Some tremendous images here and its really impressing me what people are doing with these cameras. It makes a mockery of all the criticism and whinging about some of their flaws. Its about getting out there and using them hard for what they do well (which is a lot)!!!!

I'm loving my A7 and A7R and will keep updating with documentary images from Afghanistan, such as the aerial shots here: Aerial Documentary Project Work with the A7R!

Plenty more images to come from this body of work. I'm aiming for about six fifteen shot portfolios and loving every minute of it.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Thanks! So, would you say that you do benefit from the resolution, even handheld? Do you need particularly high shutter speeds? With a 180, sure, but say with the 35 or 55?

What is the size of the A7 and A7R file
Hello, just getting back around to answer questions. The A7 files usually sit around 24MB per image and the A7r is usually right around 37MB.

I would say if you aren't going to print you may not notice as much difference and maybe the A7 or A7s would be a better fit for you. The A7 is slightly better than the A7r at handling noise at higher ISO at 100% viewing on a monitor. It's comparable to a extra fine grain versus a fine grain. Both do a great job though and I'm comfortable printing larger sized color prints in the ISO3200-4000 range and up to 6400 for grayscale images. That's all personal preference though.

As for shutter speed the bulk of my daytime Safari shots were taken at higher shutter speeds but that had more to do with bright midday near equatorial sunlight than the camera. Some were as low at 1/200 (probably f/8 or f/11) and some as high as 1/2000 (more than likely those were at f/4 or f/5.6.) In either case here's a link to my flickr page... There's a few of the shots on there mixed in with some M9 and Panasonic G1 for good measure.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/m3rq/

iiiNelson

Now that you have used both cameras, do you feel a difference in build quality between A7 and A7R?
No there's not real discernible difference in quality without close and careful inspection. The A7r has magnesium dials and all magnesium body. The A7 has fancy plastic dials and a half fancy plastic/ half magnesium body. You couldn't tell though without someone mentioning it.

iiiNelson

Some tremendous images here and its really impression me what people are doing with these cameras. It makes a mockery of all the criticism and whinging about some of their flaws. Its about getting out there and using them hard for what they do well (which is a lot)!!!!

I'm loving my A7 and A7R and will keep updating with documentary images from Afghanistan, such as the aerial shots here: Aerial Documentary Project Work with the A7R!

Plenty more images to come from this body of work. I'm aiming for about six fifteen shot portfolios and loving every minute of it.
Cool shot. What part of AFG is that?

Michiel Schierbeek

In my narrow photographic world, "oof" means "out of focus". My humor tends to be less than obvious. My apologies to the artist and to you Michiel. ;)

Joe
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Honestley I never thought of that, but then I am not from the land of abbreviations. How ignorant. I just liked the abstraction of it.

Barry, I knew you could do it; finally publish an OOF picture.

scho

I decided to seek some shelter this raw, blustery afternoon so decided on the vacant farmers market. A few shots with the A7R+Actus+Rodenstock 55. No tilts or perspective corrections, just used shift and rise/fall for composition and stitching. All at f/11, ISO 100. This lens does suffer some from flare (no lens hood), but CA is very well controlled and it is sharp across the frame.

3 shot horizontal stitch at the Steamboat Landing

market entrance, 2 shot vertical stitch

interior, looking back towards entrance, single shot.

interior, looking south towards waterfront trailhead outside, single shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.