The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

The first one is my favorite : I like to see three (?) of hay and the way they are recessing further away. Plus the little clouds crossing the sky above the (?) of hay makes for a nice composition.

Here are 4 from the archives. 4 shots, 3 lenses, all taken in the same field within a 20-minute span. I couldn't really decide what I was after that morning, and as you can see I still can't.

All were hand-held, and are presented in the order they were taken.

Pt. 1

Annna T

Barry: What do you think about the AF of the 70-200? AF would be the only reason to "upgrade" from my Canon 70-200/4 (an excellent lens).
I own both the Canon F4 and the Sony. I was deceived by the Sony : the Canon is more compact than the Sony; it is about the same length, but quite thinner and this makes mire difference than I thought it would. The Canon is also sharper, especially in the corners (at least, the copies I have got). About AF, it is of course noticeably faster than the Canon on the Metabones adapter. Apart of that, it can be a little slower to focus than the 24-70mm, especially at the long end and when the scene lacks a little contrast. To sum up : what one can expect from a long lens on a mirrorless camera, nothing either negative, nor positive.

For instance, I'm considering selling these Canon lenses :16-35mm F2.8 v.1, the 24-105mm F4, the 50mm F1.4, which are all replaced by better FE lenses, but I will keep the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8, the 40mm F2.8 pancake, the Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro and, last but not least, the 70-200mm F4.

If you ever get the Sony FE 70-200mm, I would be curious to know how your copies compare.

frozenbb

Thanks Annna. Apparently those four I chose are a bit of a Rorschach test, as my wife likes the 3rd the best.

Back to the drawing board! =)

Also, thanks to you and Barry for providing more info on the FE 70-200 - a lens I have long considered but can't quite make myself want to buy. I'm still hoping for a short, fast, native tele. The FE 90mm macro seems entirely boring, as macro lenses in the 90-100mm range are never light enough to be all-purpose options.

(Note to self: auto-complete makes for interesting responses).

dandrewk

Barry: What do you think about the AF of the 70-200? AF would be the only reason to "upgrade" from my Canon 70-200/4 (an excellent lens).
Adding to what others have said, I can't speak for the Canon. I've had the FE70-200 from day one, and was quite happy with AF on my A7 for anything but rapidly moving subjects (e.g. birds in flight). Things are much improved, AF wise, with the A7II.

But if capturing action is required, I'll use the a6000, which is about as good at predictive AF as any camera I've owned. The extra FL from the crop is most welcome.

Michiel Schierbeek

Went to The Late Rembrandt exposition in the Rijksmuseum. Really crowded! And really dark rooms, so 1600 ISO.
This is "The conspiracy of Claudius Civilis" against the Romans. Never saw it in reality.
On loan from Stockholm.
The lighting could be the invention of a photographer.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Tortola, BVI. A7II, FE70-200 at 200 mm. Despite some comments in this thread, I find this to be pretty good lens for birds in flight. I use continuous focus and high speed shooting.

Barry Haines

Tortola, BVI. A7II, FE70-200 at 200 mm. Despite some comments in this thread, I find this to be pretty good lens for birds in flight. I use continuous focus and high speed shooting.

Hi Bill, lovely capture beautifully caught on the A7II :salute:
Not sure if I was included here within your comment.
The A7II I believe has improved AF for sure over mine and Werner's A7R. To be clear I was commenting on the A7R (As that is what we both own)..I would wholeheartedly agree with David that the A6000 has way better AF system than the A7R...The only point I was trying to get over to Werner was that the speed and lock on of the 70-200mm FE is dependent to some degree on which camera you happen to be using with this lens...I have not tried capturing birds in flight close up or at a distance and am still learning what this lens is capable of performing as I only received it this week...Personally I am delighted with the lens even on the A7R...I just hope that the A7RII gets improved AF over the A7R...Cheers Barry

What is that?
thorkil

thorkil... It's the fortified city called Carcassonne in Southern France...That is the vineyard in the foreground...I like the treatment jaspat3 :salute:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne

Thank you Antonio for your comment above :)
Cheers Barry

Last edited:

W.Utsch

Thanks friends for all the information about the 70-200...will stay a little longer with the Canon and the Metabones and wait for the new A7R II or A9. The AF with the adaptor is not really usable but for 95 % of my pics manual focus is more than ok.

" Old Town Heidelberg with Old Bridge and the River Neckar "

BW110 ND Filter

DSC02413.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Barry Haines

Thank you Barry!.....I would though have liked to see it without treatment :rolleyes:
Thorkil
To be honest without sounding disrespectful to jaspat3, it has been photographed numerous times before without any treatment added...It was jaspat3's choice of a pseudo watercolor treatment that I quite liked :clap:
The treatment itself has separated it from the usual take...But everybody here knows I'm a bit weird as I like dabbling about with this and that :D

Some normal looking shots with a quick Google search for you thorkil :thumbup:

http://en.destinationsuddefrance.co...ssonne-mode-paysage-3_slideshow_landscape.jpg

http://francepassionmagazine.com/wp...cassonne©-ATOUT-FRANCE-Catherine-Bibollet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.