The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Sports seems to be your thing Mikal. Nice series. Maybe your place wasn't ideal for all the services, but the 3rd and 4th are great. Quiet background and splendid facial expressions. The cheering session isn't too bad for a big crop, it seems the lady in blue is thinking "what is that guy doing, his lens is way to short to take a good shot of us" ;)
Well, I think you've proven her wrong.

V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Actually, Leica had it all figured out and offered excellent accessories for focusing even before they came up with a rangefinder. It was real live view with those (I have one of those as well. Will post a picture when I find it.). Leica was a very very technically oriented company.

When one took care of reciprocity factors, even exposure was not that difficult then. Only there weren't color films readily available and those monochrome films had very limited DR.

You have a wonderful inheritance! I am sure you cherish it well. :)

pegelli

Yes, if you find some stuff I'd be interested to see pictures. I've got some old books that describe that equipment (like the spider legs) but I've never actually seen it.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill your pelican shots sold me on the A7II's autofocus capabilities. I have not yet jumped on the A7x train but fully expect to seriously look at the very next generation of these. I have been seeing some excellent pics from the new version 15mm III m mount lens, the 16-35mm, the 55mm FE, and the 70-200mm but were all stills and mostly the a7II and a7r (there is something about the a7s images that I just can't warm up to). Yours were the first BIF shots I have seen where it would rival the a99 or even the a77mkII, which I own both. I also still own the 70-400mm G1 and the Tamron 150-600mm and use the 150-600 on the a77mkII and the 70-400 on the a99.

It will be hard to walk away from all my A mounts being as I have over 22 A mount lenses but I also have nearly a dozen apc E mount lenses that would have little use if I go to the E mount full frames. I am not much of a EBAY seller in fact I have only bought and never sold there but it may come down to that as I see little need to run 3 separate systems if one can do them all.

See what you have gone and done with those BIF pics ;) Decisions decisions and they all cost money and time... ;)
Jim, with the LAEA4 adapter you can keep all your A mount lenses. As I mentioned, I still have three and use them frequently. The only caveat is that you may have to apply some AF micro adjustment if you use AF (I do, especially for BIF!). My 70-400 needed no adjustment but the Tamron needed -12 on the a7II.

It was hard parting with my a99 but there's no point in having multiple systems if a bunch of them sit in the closet.

Incidentally, I have bought and sold extensively on eBay and have had only one bad experience in over 120 transactions - and that one was covered by PayPal.

Cheers,
Bill

MikalWGrass

P, thank you. I have a few more of a top ranked male player that I will probably post later this evening. I like shooting sports and I would like to do it for money, though since I have no idea how to use flash, I could not do a formal environmental portrait of the athletes to save my life.

I like the shots of the Czech player because she was more photogenic, and I liked her cheering section.

Jim DE

I guess I should sell some of it... I still have my Minolta A1, 7D, a33, a77, a77II, a99, a Stellar, DP2m, and a few others in digitals: not to mention my film stuff :(

I have the A-E adapter that I got when I was using the original Nex5.... sadly I have only used it a few times because I think if I am using a A mount lens it just feels better on a A mount body. Think I would feel the same with any of the a7x bodies and a A mount lens with their adapter.

MikalWGrass

Sorry for hogging the bandwidth, but more from the tennis match. Andy Murray vs. Donald Young. The match would have been a bit closer had Mr. Young been able to catch a break. Same camera set up, same restrictions (being at the beck and call of 3 fidgety ten year old boys), and same vantage point. A few of Donald Young first. Again, thank you in advance for the likes / love.

MurrayOpponent3 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

MurrayOpponentServe13 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

MurrayServe5 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

MurrayBackhand7 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

MurrayAfterServe11 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

MurrayShake13.5 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

MurrayWave14 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

mathomas

Some wide-field astrophotography with the A7II and 24mm Elmarit-R on a Metabones adapter.

cabin under milky way by mike thomas, on Flickr

buffalo peaks under milky way by mike thomas, on Flickr

"Portrait" and candid with 90mm Summicron-R:

petey by mike thomas, on Flickr

mb and katie by mike thomas, on Flickr

Landscapes with 24mm Elmarit-R:

littleton historical museum by mike thomas, on Flickr

littleton historical museum by mike thomas, on Flickr

mathomas

Love the aerial perspective demonstrated in this shot (yes I'm a traditional artist, too (or at least I try to be sometimes)). It's very layered. Love it!

Beware of the Whitechapel Sna.... :eek::eek::eek:

Day is night and night is my day
It's here I search for my prey

I am armed with OSS and it keeps my hand steady
That lens is marvellous so I’m always ready

I can see YOU as I have an A7S
You are on my screen looking your best

But YOU won’t find me in the light
As I always keep well out of sight

Yes, beware I’m Louis the Snapper

LARGER

mathomas

I loved the Contax 28mm when I had it (I was shooting film Contaxes there for a while). I also had the 35-70mm, but had moved on to shooting a Hasselblad most of the time, and never really shot it much. I sold it all. Now that I have an A7II, I really wish I had those lenses back!

So I got myself an A7 and adapter (!!!!!) and went out shooting this morning, 1st Contax 28 f2.8, rest Contax 35-70 f3.5....

Slingers

I have a similar story to what Vivek posted here. When i was younger I used to dream of travelling and was given a lot of foreign coins by a man that came into my parents store. This is the one I treasured the most even though it isnt a treasure. Taken with the NEX-7 and the Minolta AF 50/2.8 Macro.

V

Vivek

:)

I have a similar story to what Vivek posted here. When i was younger I used to dream of travelling and was given a lot of foreign coins by a man that came into my parents store. This is the one I treasured the most even though it isnt a treasure. Taken with the NEX-7 and the Minolta AF 50/2.8 Macro.

Nice light. :)

Barry Haines

Love the aerial perspective demonstrated in this shot (yes I'm a traditional artist, too (or at least I try to be sometimes)). It's very layered. Love it!
Many thanks Mike :) ...Another one from the same location but this time in color looking in the other direction...Cheers Barry

LARGER

Edit: Very nice Michiel ^^^ I know it's subjective but for my own personal taste I like seeing some of your less developed images (not necessarily all) without that added 81EF style filtration (Pseudo warmth process look).
It kind of kills all the blues in the image for my taste...just saying, no offense meant...Cheers Barry

Last edited:

pegelli

Two from a recent beach walk along the Belgian coast in Knokke

Wave breaker

Red buoy

Both NEX6 + E10-18/4

biglouis

Flower Clock, Queen's Gallery, Buck House, London
A7R+Loxia 35/2

Status
Not open for further replies.