The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Andy (Admin) is looking for one.

Rawfa

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Very quick first test with the A7S and a very cheap sigma 28mm 1.8 high speed (via LAEA4). Iso 25.600

tashley

Subscriber Member

Been photographing this little track for years now on my daily dog walk. This is my fave so far.

D

Deleted member 7792

Colour blended with a split toned image in NIK SE2 (BLENCOMO)
Barry, I've admired your photos of historical sites and especially like this series. Thanks for sharing both the images and the history.

Can you point me to a description of your BLENCOMO process? I know I've seen it described somewhere in this thread, now 118 pages long. :bugeyes:

Joe

dwood

Been photographing this little track for years now on my daily dog walk. This is my fave so far.

Lovely composition and toning, Tim. Plus, the FE-55 is just stupid good. When I was shooting the A7R, that's the one lens that never failed to put a smile on my face.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Another couple with the A7RII and FE55. I could really get to like using this combo....

Barry Haines

Barry, I've admired your photos of historical sites and especially like this series. Thanks for sharing both the images and the history.

Can you point me to a description of your BLENCOMO process? I know I've seen it described somewhere in this thread, now 118 pages long. :bugeyes:

Joe
Thank you so much Joe, that's very kind of you :eek: + Likewise another thanks to you for your mogrify/2 tutorials (Framing etc...) on your website, they became very helpful to me for when I first started playing around with the script.

I will put both the tone mapping process that I still currently use here and also the BLENCOMO (BLENded COlour with MOnochrome) treatment, although my workflow has changed since writing this earlier.

Tone mapping (page 100).... http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-100.html#post639020

I am still currently playing around with Photomatix, it’s not exactly the most natural looking of all the tone mapping programs out there!
I figured if I could tame the OTT aggressive effects with this program (worse case scenario) I could then apply the same techniques with other more natural looking tone mapping programs.
I generally make no more than 3 tone mapped images now, each one concentrating for either the highlight areas like skies, another for the mid tones and a darker version for the shadows.
I will then compile these 3 images as layers on top of the natural original worked up image...Fading the opacities to taste, then erase/dodge/burn different parts of those layers to accentuate different parts of the image...Once happy I will then merge the 3 layers together with the original.
It can be a little time consuming but I quite like playing around with this sort of thing, it’s a bit like assembling a jigsaw but in 3D!

My old workflow back then incl. BLENCOMO treatment (page 62)... http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-62.html#post607060

GetDPI is a sharing community so here is my typical workflow as best as I can remember for you or anybody who is interested (apologies to those who are not).

RAW>DNG>CS (ACR..Only basic corrections like exposure, vignetting etc...) open.

When in CS straighten up the images horizon and then correct perspective and crop...Save as a Tiff.

Open the Tiff into LR and then Export to Mogrify 2 LR/Mogrify 2 - Add Watermarks, Border and Text Annotions to Images Exported by Adobe Lightroom 2 the image (In other words add a preset frame with title, author and lens info etc.)

Re-open back into CS (for Labcolor processing) and run this free downsizing/sharpening Web Sharpener CS4+ script Web Sharpener - Better Sharpening for the WebAndreas Resch ? Naturfotografie
Andreas Resch - Websharpener script is just wonderful IMO, you can control the final output size (I use 1600x1600px maximum output for Flickr) and the actual amount of sharpening on layers together with contrast and saturation...I have pretty well tried most downsizing sharpeners out there, this is my favourite for sure but it can only be done in CS4 (or above) because it steps down in increments using the Lab color method.

Once happy with the image flatten off the layers off and convert the Lab colour to SRGB and save as a new Tiff.

Zoom into the corner where the image touches the frame and make a selection around the image only (This means all changes from now on in only have a effect upon the image itself and not the frame)...Make a thin black, grey or white (penline 1 px wide your choice) using Edit>Stroke.

BLENCOMO (BLENding COlour with MOno) treatment.
Keeping the same selection (marching ants) and now open filters (Nik software Silver Efex Pro 2)...I use a slight variant Preset of my own which is very similar to the std. Preset *015 included - but with less noise.> OK. (It’s like getting an instant black and white TONEMAPPED image which adds some drama to an image...vary the SOFT CONTRAST slider to taste or even add a tone like, sepia, selenium etc... should you so wish).

Go to the Layers and fade the opacity to around 50% (It much depends on the colour within the image itself) and then flatten off the layers, you should now have a pastel coloured image which needs bringing back to colour life by adjusting the (Image>Adjustments>Vibrance) Vary the vibrance and saturation to taste.

Still with the selection on use the graduated filter to Colour Burn down the Sky (Edit>FADE GRADIENT) and the Ground up (Edit>FADE GRADIENT) to form a base for the image.

Correct the White balance (I use Pictocolour PictoColor Software: PictoColor Software: Color Correction Software and Photoshop Plugins ).

Final step...Auto Contrast (Edit>FADE CONTAST) whilst watching the Histogram doesn’t burn out the Highlights...Add some curves, dodge tool (highlight) along pier strip and clone out birds and insects flying in the sky, deselect selection and save as a jpg....Takes me about 30-40 minutes most images.

Hope that gives you some insight to my typical workflow....Cheers Barry

EDIT...I will just add that these were copied from their respective earlier pages, when I was still finding my way with the process.
Later experimentation showed me that the IQ increased dramatically by changing the sequence of the workflow.
Just work the full sized image 24mp/36mp/42mp or whatever size you happen to be using to it’s fruition including the BLENCOMO treatment, then finish off with framing (Mogrify - LR) and then the Web Sharpener downsizing script in CS4 upwards.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

Thank you so much Joe, that's very kind of you :eek: + Likewise another thanks to you for your mogrify/2 tutorials (Framing etc...) on your website, they became very helpful to me for when I first started playing around with the script.

I will put both the tone mapping process that I still currently use here and also the BLENCOMO (BLENded COlour with MOnochrome) treatment, although my workflow has changed since writing this earlier.
<snip>
Hope that gives you some insight to my typical workflow....Cheers Barry
Thanks very much, Barry. I'll give it a try. Stay tuned. :salute:

And I'm happy you found the tutorials on my website useful. Just trying to "pay it forward".

Joe

Re: Fun with A7RII

I'm sorry Quentin's thread got lumped together with this one so soon, when I thought folks were just beginning to explore A7RII and lens combinations as a separate topic/inquiry. Oh, well, here goes.

I took it out for the first time this morning, withWATE, MATE, and Zeiss C/Y 25 and 35-70mm.

My main concern was whether or not I could use the A7RII to replace my MM, which has the disadvantage of no live view. This makes composition and framing hit-or-miss, using external finders. I was happy with the BW results and can see no reason why I (or anyone else?) would want to own both an M240 and an M246 when they can cover both uses with comparable results and a fraction of the cost with Sony.

In color, I was especially interested in producing some images with a gentle palette, and may have got a couple of examples.

I haven't sharpened these files, even with ACR/LR default sharpening, and it looks like one can easily make a 14x21 print without any. Flickr, however, may have added sharpening.

This shot is with MATE @ 35mm, f11.

Kirk

Old pump house, Tilden, Berkeley by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Wondering if my 'BW phase' is terminating.... by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Fun with A7RII

Here's another that met my expectations, this time with MATE @ 28mm. Again the BW version meets my expectations; and I can't imagine the M246 will do much better because resolution of 24 MP w/o Bayer filter would not be too different from Sony's 42MP. And with Sony I have the advantage – besides LV – of being able to tweak the conversion, esp. with R, Y, and G sliders.

Kirk

Wildcat Creek and fence (BW) by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Wildcat Creek and fence (Col) by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Fun with A7RII

And here's another that didn't do too well in the color version, though the BW is what I expected. In the BW version I wantedlots of texture and not much differentiation of the subject matter, with rock details looking a lot like forest details. That turned out OK. But the color version suffers somewhat from flare. I generally like the flare of older lenses (25mm Distagon) in BW, but to my eye, the effects of flare aren't as nice in color. If this proves to be a problem I might try either the 25 Batis, or a newer 25 ZE or ZF Distagon with up-to-date coatings.

Kirk.

Rock with cave, Wildcat Creek (BW) by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

Rock with cave, Wildcat Creek (Col) by Kirk Thompson, on Flickr

PS, a friend just told me the soft colors looks like Marshall's hand-coloring. I don't think she meant this as a compliment! Perhaps I should back off a bit from that experiment.

Kirk

Status
Not open for further replies.