The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

This is Carnglaze Caverns...It’s part of the Cornish tourist trail but well worth a visit :)
Pretty dark in the Caverns so photography is pretty useless without a tripod (You can’t use flash in case you disturb the sleeping bats)
I improvised and found a loose old post in the Cavern and used it like a monopod....A7R OSS/on 16-35mm iso400 F/4.0 at 6 seconds (a new PB).

biglouis

A 100% crop out of the centre of a frame taken of a fox which frequents our back garden using the unbelievably powerful FE 90/2.8 on a A7R.

iso320 f4 1/200 - this is literally straight out of a RAW file imported into in LR, with only lens profile and cropping applied.

k-hawinkler

A 100% crop out of the centre of a frame taken of a fox which frequents our back garden using the unbelievably powerful FE 90/2.8 on a A7R.

iso320 f4 1/200 - this is literally straight out of a RAW file imported into in LR, with only lens profile and cropping applied.

Terrific shot with an amazing lens!
Did you have OSS switched On? TIA.

biglouis

Terrific shot with an amazing lens!
Did you have OSS switched On? TIA.
Thanks, the animals are almost tame since we feed them scraps on a regular basis. I love the way they will stare you down without necessarily being threatening. i think they are genuinely intrigued by humans much in the way dogs are. To answer your question, I always leave OSS on. I think I've turned it off once recently when I was doing some tripod mounted stuff.

Regards

LouisB

Jim DE

I have to get that lens... my CG 90 just does not have the same pop ...... I was hoping :(

k-hawinkler

Thanks, the animals are almost tame since we feed them scraps on a regular basis. I love the way they will stare you down without necessarily being threatening. i think they are genuinely intrigued by humans much in the way dogs are. To answer your question, I always leave OSS on. I think I've turned it off once recently when I was doing some tripod mounted stuff.

Regards

LouisB
Thanks LouisB, I do the same. have OSS on the lens switched to On, whether it's mounted on my A7r or A7r2.
On the A7r I get pitch and yaw image stabilization, on the A7r2 additionally roll, X and Y stabilization.
X and Y stabilization is most important for close ups. Therefore for macro shots I prefer the lens on the A7r2.
Otherwise it's mostly on the A7r.

Lucille

Ocate New Mexico.

Sony A7R MII, 16-35mm Zeiss@28mm f/4, ISO200, 1/6400sec

f/otographer

Here are a few more shots from my recent San Fran trips. Most of these were from the first leg with the a7 and FDn 50/1.4. I think one or two are from the second leg of the trip with the a7 II with the same lens. Hope you enjoy these as well.

Handheld mega-pan

Just for fun, I did this 68-shot panorama with the A7Rii and the Tamron 150-600mm @300mm, freeform on a monopod. Although thermal distortions reduced the clarity over the long distances, it still turned out nicely.

Minneapolis Skyline with Clouds

Larger version here.

JMaher

Mike, Very nice. However 60+ photos?? You patience is beyond mine.

Jim

biglouis

I have to get that lens... my CG 90 just does not have the same pop ...... I was hoping :(
I don't want to reduce your bank balance... but you're worth it and so is the lens :)

Thanks LouisB, I do the same. have OSS on the lens switched to On, whether it's mounted on my A7r or A7r2.
On the A7r I get pitch and yaw image stabilization, on the A7r2 additionally roll, X and Y stabilization.
X and Y stabilization is most important for close ups. Therefore for macro shots I prefer the lens on the A7r2.
Otherwise it's mostly on the A7r.
This lens is driving my desire for a A7rII - more and more cropping power (plus the additional stabilisation).

LouisB

k-hawinkler

I don't want to reduce your bank balance... but you're worth it and so is the lens :)

This lens is driving my desire for a A7rII - more and more cropping power (plus the additional stabilisation).

LouisB
Thanks LouisB. Indeed it is an extraordinary lens and delivers stunning detail on the A7r and especially on the A7r2.

I had just attached to the A7r2 and calibrated for the right distance my Olympus Dot Sight EE-1 when I saw the rider with his horses stop at the road to let a car pass by. I simply pointing my sighting device towards the horses and rider and snapped a picture with A7r2 AF. Here it is, reduced twice by a factor of 2x each time. So, going from 7952x5304 to 3976x2652 and then to 1988x1326 pixels. A reduction in linear size by 4x or a factor of 16x in pixels.

I then made a 100% crop of similar size of the central parts of the image.

Still stunning detail IMHO. Well, street photography in my neck of the woods seems a tad different from your typical urban centers. :grin:

biglouis

^^^ K-H ^^^

Lovely capture and amazing detail. The horses really stand out from the background so focus is spot on.

That is exactly what I am seeing when I crop with this lens on the albeit 'lower' resolution of the A7R. Quite extraordinary.

I tend to benchmark lenses by reference to my Sigma Merrills as these are the sharpest lens/sensor cameras I own. I never thought I'd see a Bayer sensor camera and lens equal them. This lens/sensor combo does.

I also use it for macro on my A7S. I lose the cropability but I gain very fast speeds. The detail when it all comes together with this glass is also extremely good indeed. Well done to Sony. We had to wait for it but it was worth waiting for.

LouisB

Status
Not open for further replies.