The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Thanks Jim :)
David and I are trying to get a variety of shots out there for you all to see, whilst we learn the lens at the same time.
I think Werner will be along shortly with his 21mm Loxia :D

BLENCOMO treatment...Cheers Barry

gurtch

Thanks Jim :)
David and I are trying to get a variety of shots out there for you all to see, whilst we learn the lens at the same time.
I think Werner will be along shortly with his 21mm Loxia :D

BLENCOMO treatment...Cheers Barry

Love this. Can you share how you achieved this effect? Much obliged. I specialize in seascapes, and this effect is stunning.
Dave in NJ

Barry Haines

Love this. Can you share how you achieved this effect? Much obliged. I specialize in seascapes, and this effect is stunning.
Dave in NJ
Thank You Dave so much for the kind words.

Very briefly I make a (saturated) colour image as best as I can...Then I make a BW image from that in Nik Silver Effex Pro 2...I generally overcook it because once I have added it on to the top layer of the colour image I'm then going to fade back the opacity, in other words dilute the effect to taste...Now burn, dodge and erase selective areas of the top layer and flatten the image off...Revitalize the colour back with Vibrance.

I wrote a bit about this awhile back that should help...To be honest it's an ever evolving technique I use to spice up flat images :)

Older method
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-62.html#post607060

Newer method
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-118.html#post654640

Hope that helps, have fun Dave :D ...Cheers Barry

Arne Hvaring

That 21mm Loxia sure looks sweet, thanks for posting.
I haven't posted images for a while, here are a few from Denmark. Nothing special, just some casual snaps with the A7II. All except the last (1,8/55mm) taken with the somewhat unbeloved FE 2,8/35mm.

k-hawinkler

Arne, thanks. I like your images with those 2 lenses.
My 3 native Sony lenses are 35/2.8, 55/1.8, and 90/2.8 MACRO G.
I have tested them to a certain degree and concluded they are fine.
They are performing as expected or better.
All 3 lenses are capable of delivering stunning images.
But, of course, are constrained by my own limitations.

I don't doubt that copy variability is a problem.
But I also believe that good copies, well within spec, are excellent tools and don't need any justification or apologies.

Arne Hvaring

Arne, thanks. I like your images with those 2 lenses.
My 3 native Sony lenses are 35/2.8, 55/1.8, and 90/2.8 MACRO G.
I have tested them to a certain degree and concluded they are fine.
They are performing as expected or better.
All 3 lenses are capable of delivering stunning images.
But, of course, are constrained by my own limitations.

I don't doubt that copy variability is a problem.
But I also believe that good copies, well within spec, are excellent tools and don't need any justification or apologies.

Thanks! I quite agree regarding sample variability. I'm on my second 2,8/35mm, the first was pretty bad. I also have the 2,0/28mm which is OK. Been debating whether to get the 90 mm macro or the 85 Batis. This seems to be a difficult decision for others too. Most likely I end up with both LOL.

Cheers
Arne

k-hawinkler

Thanks! I quite agree regarding sample variability. I'm on my second 2,8/35mm, the first was pretty bad. I also have the 2,0/28mm which is OK. Been debating whether to get the 90 mm macro or the 85 Batis. This seems to be a difficult decision for others too. Most likely I end up with both LOL.

Cheers
Arne
Thanks Arne. Sometimes I get lucky and count my blessings. :grin:

You have a point with ending up with both lenses, the 90 mm macro and the 85 Batis. I ordered the 90 G because I didn't want to wait for the 85 Batis. In hindsight an excellent decision as the 90 G is also a terrific macro lens. As it also comes with OSS I use it a lot on my A7r that now benefits from image stabilization of that lens. For handheld closeup macro shots I prefer using the lens on my A7r2 to take advantage of X- and Y-stabilization of the camera body.

It would be interesting to compare how the 85 Batis is different for portrait shots though. And how both these lenses compare to the R80 Summilux or Leica 90 mm M-lenses.

Barry Haines

Thank you Arne...It’s a little gem of a lens...Very much like the first shot in your series

Charlestown this afternoon...Please click on Enlargement...Many thanks Barry

Barry Haines

Congrats with your lens Barry. Last one Color Efex Pro Duplex filter?

Thank you Michiel...I don't actually have Color Efex (I would like to :D )...I only have the B&W Nik version.
Hard to believe but the colours are not hugely different from what I experienced...I used a little dilute Tone mapping for opening up the shadows only...This is a crop from the 21mm which pretty well represents the same diagonal AoV as the 25mm Batis although a different ratio of sides and less pixels after cropping obviously...Very happy with the lens...Thanks again.

I like your Face Off shot...Clean and simple with nothing else distracting in the image just as it should be :salute: nice one :thumbup:

The Ute

Sandstone and Lava flows side by side.
One of things that makes our area so unique geologically speaking.
A7rII/Zeiss Batis 25.

frozenbb

And fall.

Another from a couple of days ago, when the rain stopped for a moment. :banghead:

Incidentally, this is my second (and inferior) copy of the Rokinon 14mm 2.8. The first met an unfortunate, and untimely, end! I can't decide whether I care enough to search for another decent copy, because by the time I find one the voigtlander 15mm e-mount might be available, and/or Zeiss might have sorted their supply chains.

gurtch

Thank You Dave so much for the kind words.

Very briefly I make a (saturated) colour image as best as I can...Then I make a BW image from that in Nik Silver Effex Pro 2...I generally overcook it because once I have added it on to the top layer of the colour image I'm then going to fade back the opacity, in other words dilute the effect to taste...Now burn, dodge and erase selective areas of the top layer and flatten the image off...Revitalize the colour back with Vibrance.

I wrote a bit about this awhile back that should help...To be honest it's an ever evolving technique I use to spice up flat images :)

Older method
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-62.html#post607060

Newer method
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-118.html#post654640

Hope that helps, have fun Dave :D ...Cheers Barry
Thank you Barry. Very kind of you to share the technique. The image is lovely.
Dave in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.