The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Nearly 400 years ago, 102 passengers and crew set sail from this historic point never to return...They are known today as the Pilgrim Fathers.
We fly both nations flag in remembrance.
Loxia 21mm Handheld 1/5 f4 ISO 100

I will just make one last image insert edit, as it’s kind of relevant to The Mayflower 1620 image above...I spotted this commemorative paving stone also just a few feet from the Mayflower paving stone.
I confess I don’t remember anything about the Sea Venture, so I took a quick snap so I could check it out when I got home... An interesting true story taken from wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Venture

The loss of Sea Venture

On 2 June 1609, Sea Venture set sail from Plymouth as the flagship of a seven-ship fleet (towing two additional pinnaces) destined for Jamestown, Virginia as part of the Third Supply, carrying 500 to 600 people (it is unclear whether that number includes crew, or only settlers). On 24 July, the fleet ran into a strong storm, likely a hurricane, and the ships were separated. Sea Venture fought the storm for three days. Comparably sized ships had survived such weather, but Sea Venture had a critical flaw in her newness: her timbers had not set. The caulking was forced from between them, and the ship began to leak rapidly. All hands were applied to bailing, but water continued to rise in the hold. The ship's starboard-side guns were reportedly jettisoned (though two from the port-side were salvaged from the wreck in 1612 to arm the first forts) to raise her buoyancy, but this only delayed the inevitable. The Admiral of the Company himself, Sir George Somers, was at the helm through the storm. When he spied land on the morning of 25 July, the water in the hold had risen to 9 feet (2.7 m), and crew and passengers had been driven past the point of exhaustion. Somers deliberately drove the ship onto the reefs of what proved to be Bermuda in order to prevent its foundering. This allowed all 150 people aboard, and one dog, to be landed safely ashore.

Last edited:

takomaru

Nearly 400 years ago, 102 passengers and crew set sail from this historic point never to return...They are known today as the Pilgrim Fathers.
We fly both nations flag in remembrance.
Loxia 21mm Handheld 1/5 f4 ISO 100

Fantastic lighting in the arch; you're making that Loxia 21 shine....

jlm

Workshop Member

Barry;
Wow, my wife's ancestors boated over in 1630!

Barry Haines

Barry;
Wow, my wife's ancestors boated over in 1630!
John, that's amazing that you can trace the crossing back that far!

Edit (Image inserted)...Another image from Plymouth taken earlier today...Sony 35mm Distagon FE WO at f1.4 (Tone Mapped)

Last edited:

Annna T

In winter, the alpine choughs leave the higher slopes and come down to the bottom of the valley in noisy swarms counting more than hundred individuals. They perch on high rooves or on the trees planted along the streets. When they pass by my house using the ascending thermic currents, their swarm is as impressive as in the Hitchcock movies : they measure about 70cm with their wings extended . I would like to take a picture with them circling and hovering around the castles, but the thermic currents or the food always attract them elsewhere.

A7rII and FE 24-70mm F4 @ 67mm. Out of camera JPEG sent via the iPad.

Alpine chough cruising over the city - click to enlarge (20160130_001)
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Last edited:

frozenbb

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Here are some snaps from Old Montréal, though unfortunately I can't remember what lenses were used. Late spring, 2013.

In transit.

Jazz.

Not quite Van Gogh.

Coffee.

Mitakon follies

There's a thread called "No love for the Mitakon 50 f0.95?," but it's not very active – so I'll post these here too.

This week I acquired a Mistaken (which is what SpellChecker calls the Mitakon) to see if I could make some images in an old-fashioned Pictorial style. I'd tried a 1.5 Summarit, a 1.4 Nikkor LTM, and a Sonnar-C, but none had shallow-enough DOF. So this seems to be the best lens for the project.

It's sharper than I'd expected on center, but not in the foreground corners. And the plane of focus doesn't seem to be flat – it looks like it curves backward. But these peculiarities are sort of endearing, and the DOF is finally as shallow as I wanted.

Kirk

A7rII with 50 Mitakon @ f0.95

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Kirk, I think the 50mm Mitakon F0.95 rendering is really well suited to what you are doing ^^^

Selenium toned...Please click on “Enlargement” Many thanks Barry

PSon

Following Dad's Footstep

A7RII + Contax Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 100-300mm F4.5-5.6

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.