The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Just outside the Dutch National Park Veluwe in the Netherlands and close to Apeldoorn there is a relic from the old days, the long wave radio station "Kootwijk" that was used to broadcast to the Dutch East Indies in the beginning of the last century.

Here's a Wiki page for those who can read and understand Dutch

The site has some nice art-deco architecture from the late 20’s and right next to it is a large area where you can hike through sand dunes (without any coast nearby).

We were there two weeks ago and here's some shots I took there (some more from the walk through the dunes will come later):

1: Building A, it used to have a big broadcast mast on top of the tower, but that has been removed

A6000 + E10-18/4

2: They had money left for a reflection pond in front of the building

A6000 + E10-18/4

3: Art deco sculptures above the entrance

NEX6 + E18-105/4 PZ

4: Building A from a bit more distance

NEX6 + E18-105/4 PZ

5: And even further away

NEX6 + E18-105/4 PZ

6: When we came back a few hours later we caught a beautiful sunset

A6000 + E55-210

7: Eagle decoration in the setting sun

A6000 + E55-210

8: Blue hour and the reflection pool (and some contrails :eek: )

NEX6 + E18-105/4 PZ, stitch of 4 landscape orientation shots @ 18mm

9: A look through the building

A6000 + E55-210

10: Sunset

A6000 + E55-210

11: Silhouette and contrails during the blue hour

A6000 + E10-18/4

The Ute

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

"Falling Backwards"
A7RII/24-70GM

Last edited:

AlanS

Obviously, I have noticed that Michiel, Alan and Quentin have all now switched over to Pentax K1's
As you say Barry, very happy with the K-1. For myself I was happy with the output of the A7 but not the camera, felt like I was fighting it. I am retiring in July this year and trying to settle on a long term solution. Thought about the A7r2 but it's more than I wish to pay for a body (depreciation) hence my move to Pentax. The multishot is a big plus as well as the expected life of the shutter. I will be of course selling my redundent gear (Pieter?) over the next few months. I will still look in on this forum and keep track of you all:)
Alan.

The Ute

As you say Barry, very happy with the K-1. For myself I was happy with the output of the A7 but not the camera, felt like I was fighting it. I am retiring in July this year and trying to settle on a long term solution. Thought about the A7r2 but it's more than I wish to pay for a body (depreciation) hence my move to Pentax. The multishot is a big plus as well as the expected life of the shutter. I will be of course selling my redundent gear (Pieter?) over the next few months. I will still look in on this forum and keep track of you all:)
Alan.
The shutter on the A7RII is rated at 500K clicks.
Is the Pentax at that level ?

V

Vivek

If you factor in the life-cycle of the mirror, that count will come down dramatically! :lecture:

Average used A7 prices: ~700 Euros. Even the new price is less than that of the A6500.

A7's (24mp) new sensor: 145 Euros.

AlanS

Well I consider 100 images from a day out a lot, so would not bother either camera! (I was comparing to the A7 not the r2 which is a different animal, sorry if I was not clear).

AlanS

If you factor in the life-cycle of the mirror, that count will come down dramatically!
Average used A7 prices: ~700 Euros. Even the new price is less than that of the A6500.
A7's (24mp) new sensor: 145 Euros.
You are quite right Vivek, but that does not take into account that I prefer the K-1 over the A7, but who said you can rationalize every decision :grin:

V

Vivek

Don't get me wrong, Alan.

The same 36mp A7r with its plastic mount is a clunker that can not hold a candle to the Pentax K1. :LOL:

I fully understand why you like the K1. :)

Barry Haines

Alan.
Alan, I hear you having owned a couple of A7R's previously to the A7RII, I think this was probably a very good move on your behalf, as you are a tripod worker - Therefore you can squeeze the very last drop of IQ out of your K1.
As long as you are happy with what you are using that's all that really matters at the end of the day...Good luck with your retirement and please do look in on us all from time to time :)
PS. Do hang on to your Contax 35mm Distagon and perhaps get it Leitaxed for your K1 if that's at all possible...Cheers Barry
______

Rock Pool Light
A7RII + 21mm Loxia Distagon

AlanS

Thanks Barry, you have got it in one! This thing gets me closer to 5x4 and the tonality you get than anything else I have tried. The Distagon will be reviewed in the near future as there is a M42 Leitax solution which is not ideal but workable, really don't want to let it go.

Barry Haines

The Prospect Tower at Cotehele, Cornwall - A7RII + CV12E
This three-sided Tower is a folly, believed to have been built in the mid-eighteenth century.

seb

It's difficult to guess the intention of others. Especially when you don't know them personally. Even for myself it's hard to say why I post mainly on GetDPI. :D

This year we will see a new Sony camera and I'm quite sure it will add more capabilities to shot sport with the a7-series. This will add back more attention to this thread for sure. But if they will call it a9 there will be an obvious problem with this thread. It's the same as with Pieters camera selection and this thread. Maybe we all should just move to the "Fun with Sony" thread and close this one. It's up to us. Maybe Pieters great work will get more attention then. Or ours less but I wouldn't care about that. :loco:

Falls (Milford Sound, NZ)
(a7RII + Loxia 21/2.8)

full resolution

@Barry: Great composing and processing with the Prospect Tower. Love that picture.

Barry Haines

It's difficult to guess the intention of others. Especially when you don't know them personally. Even for myself it's hard to say why I post mainly on GetDPI. :D

This year we will see a new Sony camera and I'm quite sure it will add more capabilities to shot sport with the a7-series. This will add back more attention to this thread for sure. But if they will call it a9 there will be an obvious problem with this thread. It's the same as with Pieters camera selection and this thread. Maybe we all should just move to the "Fun with Sony" thread and close this one. It's up to us. Maybe Pieters great work will get more attention then. Or ours less but I wouldn't care about that. :loco:

Falls (Milford Sound, NZ)
(a7RII + Loxia 21/2.8)

full resolution

@Barry: Great composing and processing with the Prospect Tower. Love that picture.
Hi Seb, first of all many thanks for your kind words, much appreciated, likewise yours is an excellent image...I like it a lot...nice one :)

Re: your comments above, I hear what you are saying and I am always happy to go along with the general consensus of others, if Admin wish to close this thread and join up with the "Fun with Sony" thread that's honestly fine with me, I really mean that...I'm easy going on this matter :toocool:

If I can just chime in and give my personal thoughts plus a little history Re: this thread, as this thread has been my home for nearly 3 years (only because the A7 series cameras are all that I now shoot with nowadays).
Guy created this thread way back and in truth it is or has been one of the most successful threads here on GetDPI...A few years back when other A7 series cameras started to appear on the scene Guy then "Re-titled the thread" to suit...He even asked for our thoughts first before doing just that, which I always saw as a bit of respect for us A7 users that had been posting for awhile.
So I'm saying if an A9 or whatever appears later on the scene, then this thread may just get re-titled again to encompass it or yet another thread starts up created by somebody else (That would then make 3 threads :facesmack:).

I think things have been a bit slow of late on this thread for the reasons Vivek gave earlier and it's not as bad here as some other threads are doing...No doubt a new camera will come along soon and the weather will start to improve in the Northern hemisphere that will inject some new life back into this thread...(Come on Joe no more excuses :grin: :ROTFL:)

BTW. I spotted a comment recently but way back in this thread that you just might want to consider
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-52.html#post598259 :LOL:

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I don't almost propose that we break up the fun with Sony threads into a Full Frame and cropped sensor thread so that people looking for images could quickly discern which thread has which shots.

Barry Haines

I don't almost propose that we break up the fun with Sony threads into a Full Frame and cropped sensor thread so that people looking for images could quickly discern which thread has which shots.
Tre...I think Seb was trying to strengthen the threads by combining the 2 together.
We have 2 threads already...That almost proposal of yours :grin: just changes the dilutions and leaves us still with 2 threads...Although not a bad idea in theory.
I think we can discuss this as much as we like but Guy should be involved...It's his thread ultimately

Status
Not open for further replies.