The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Cosplay in Bangkok. Taking with A7R M2 and my new Zeiss Distagon 35mm f1.4 with Planoconvex 5m front filter. No more extreme corner smearing wo which should be useful for group portrait but shouldn't help much for images posted below.
Hi Teera, excellent shots with your new ZM 35mm Distagon with Planoconvex 5m front filter...Thank you for posting these :)

I was also interested in the FM thread regarding adding a front Planoconvex filter to help cure the corner smearing on my ZM35D...I did a quick basic dummy run with 2 thin 49mm filters to trap the planoconvex 5m between but ran into vignetting problems straight away at F1.4/infinity hard stop, which is the worse case scenario for vignetting with this particular lens :(
(Toggle between the 2 full resolution images...extreme corners start to darken when 2nd filter is added).

I really wanted to stick to the 49mm thread filter, only so I could add and remove the OEM hood with ease...If this had worked I would have ordered the Optosigma 5m planoconvex element and likewise had my optician grind the 50mm diameter planoconvex element to suit the filter holder just as you did...anyway glad you got around the problem somehow...I'm still trying to figure it out :)

EP BUS STOP - Taken on the A7RII with the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Nokton Mk2 (Nikon mount on a Novoflex adapter)

Still testing the 58mm lens WO and stopped down, plus also comparing it against the excellent 55mm FE
I particularly like the rendering of this lens WO and would score it highly, even against the wonderful 55mm FE (Although it suffers a bit from CA WO).
The build quality is excellent for a MF lens and its not that much heavier considering it has a faster F1.4 aperture, infact it's actually shorter in size than the 55mm FE with OEM hood and Novoflex adaptor attached vs The 55mm and OEM hood attached.
It's a lot sharper than my old Rokkor 58mm F1.2 WO was but the bokeh is not quite as smooth and creamy.
It cost me new (Circa £300 ebay) that's roughly a third of the price of what my 55mm did...So for those on a budget still seeking for a fairly fast standard lens you might want to consider this on your list (adapter and hood will cost extra).
Stopped down the resolution is excellent in the centre of the image but weakens a bit more than the 55mm does towards the corners and along the edges...Please click on Enlargement for F8 sample...Cheers Barry

teeraash

Hi Barry, thanks for your kind words.:) I really like the zm d35 particularly with the pcx 5m. I am able to use the original hood with this filter after having it grounded by my optician. (It is best to measure the diameter of the filter frame and have the filter grounded just slightly smaller for a snug fit and thus better centering of the glass). Here is what I did. I use only one 49mm filter frame from a cheapo uv filter (Tianya). Just took the glass out of the filter and put the 5m in. I got this cheap filter (less than 2$) from ebay. I chose this one as it has relatively thick frame with enough threads to hold on the pcx5m. It is also help that this filter have a retaining ring placing on top of the glass (the more expensive filters have retaining ring placing underneath the glass). As the pcx is very thick, around 2.5-3.0mm, the retaining ring will sit at the front edge of the filter thread and there will be no thread to put on lens cap or additional filter such as ND or Polarizer. Everything works perfectly as planned except the Tianya is a little too fat (in diameter) that I have to put the hood in first and the filter in afterward. I've order the Pixco UV 49mm and hope that it will do a better job. All in all, I am able to use the hood but not the original snap on cap but any 62mm snap on cap will secure tightly on the hood as shown in the image below , and cannot use additional filter on top of it unless I use a thicker or taller filter frame but not too thick to cause vignette. Hope this help. P.S. You may have to buy lens spanner which is selling cheaply in the ebay.

Probably, you are well aware that the pcx 5m will alter infinity focus of the lens. This doesn't create problem to me as I use Techart Pro which is essentially shorter than normal adapter. Some people have to take out internal shim(s) of the lens to enable infinity focus.

The pcx 5m also works very well with Lux 35 FLE on Sony but I have yet to compare results with the M240 which I think it will be a close call.
I don't have the marvelous Loxia 21mm as you do but my Leica SEM 21mm now performs very well on my Sony with +1 close up filter. It is in a different league with the Kolari mod on this lens! I can do a quick test in case that anyone wants to see the comparisons.
By the way, I was broken down last night and ordered Summicron R 50mm to be used on the Sony. I have fond memory of this lens that I used it to take pics of my daughter some 35+ years ago. Congrats you on the Voig 58mm, its image looks very good.

[/url]_DSC2066.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]_DSC2067.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]_DSC2070.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

I'm currently in the Lofoten, but unfortunately I only got a very small notebook computer with me, so I can't run lightroom and the screen is terrible so these two are just default conversions using the Sony IDC converter. I'll replace them with decent copies once I get home again next week.

both A6000 + E10-18/4

Barry Haines

Hi Bary, thanks for your kind words.:) I really like the zm d35 particularly with the pcx 5m. I am able to use the original hood with this filter after having it grounded by my optician. (It is best to measure the diameter of the filter frame and have the filter grounded just slightly smaller for a snug fit and thus better centering of the glass). Here is what I did. I use only one 49mm filter frame from a cheapo uv filter (Tianya). Just took the glass out of the filter and put the 5m in. I got this cheap filter (less than 2$) from ebay. I chose this one as it has relatively thick frame with enough threads to hold on the pcx5m. It is also help that this filter have a retaining ring placing on top of the glass (the more expensive filters have retaining ring placing underneath the glass). As the pcx is very thick, around 2.5-3.0mm, the retaining ring will sit at the front edge of the filter thread and there will be no thread to put on lens cap or additional filter such as ND or Polarizer. Everything works perfectly as planned except the Tianya is a little too fat (in diameter) that I have to put the hood in first and the filter in afterward. I've order the Pixco UV 49mm and hope that it will do a better job. All in all, I am able to use the hood but not the original snap on cap but any 62mm snap on cap will secure tightly on the hood as shown in the image below , and cannot use additional filter on top of it unless I use a thicker or taller filter frame but not too thick to cause vignette. Hope this help. P.S. You may have to buy lens spanner which is selling cheaply in the ebay.

Probably, you are well aware that the pcx 5m will alter infinity focus of the lens. This doesn't create problem to me as I use Techart Pro which is essentially shorter than normal adapter. Some people have to take out internal shim(s) of the lens to enable infinity focus.

The pcx 5m also works very well with Lux 35 FLE on Sony but I have yet to compare results with the M240 which I think it will be a close call.
I don't have the marvelous Loxia 21mm as you do but my Leica SEM 21mm now performs very well on my Sony with +1 close up filter. It is in a different league with the Kolari mod on this lens! I can do a quick test in case that anyone wants to see the comparisons.
By the way, I was broken down last night and ordered Summicron R 50mm to be used on the Sony. I have fond memory of this lens that I used it to take pics of my daughter some 35+ years ago. Congrats you on the Voig 58mm, its image looks very good.
Teera, many thanks again for providing all that very useful information, yes it helps alot, most appreciated :)
At present I'm still playing around with various different combinations with step up and down filter rings + blank filters with and without retaining rings in combination mostly with the OEM hood and some other hoods that I have, whilst also keeping a close eye on vignetting at the same time...But to be honest I like your idea better than my own to date :)

FWIW. If the Pixco 49mm doesn't workout for you...Then take a look at the cheap alloy Kood 49mm UV Slim it has a removable retaining ring and it fits through the OEM hood with ease (no rubbing)...It should take a 3mm thick glass element (It's already fitted with 2mm thick glass and has a bit of thread left still) as long as it seats in the recessed knotch just behind the retaining ring (The recess diameter though may vary from what you have had your pcx 5m grounded down to though)....I have already tested this filter and it does not vignette, however if you add any step up ring to this it does vignette :(
I'm also not sure if there is enough filter thread left after assembly for a clip-on lens cap...but adding a 62mm clip-on lens cap to the hood solves this problem as we both know.
Kood 49mm Slim Thin Frame UV Digital/Film Camera Lens Protection Filter | eBay

The ZM35D is an excellent lens as you say (Likewise, fond memories also of the R50 Cron on my Leica R6.2's several decades ago - Great lens as you say).
Apologies to others for taking this thread slightly off of topic.

Last edited:

teeraash

Barry, you got a stuning b&w landscape. I would say that if black is a little less black, it would look like zone system image of the film era.

V

Vivek

Teera, Post some results from the Super Elmar 21 plus +1 close ups (along with pics of the gear as in your ZM lens combo). They should be useful. Thanks!

(Barry, AFAIC, they are very much on topic!)

Barry Haines

You are right Vivek. We are having fun with it. Will do a quick test for you tomorrow.
Thank you Vivek and Teera...having fun indeed ;-)

Walking around the South West coastal path looking for images when I came upon this...
Outside loo with phonebox - A7RII + 21mm Distagon Loxia

teeraash

OK guys, today I compare Sony A7R M2 with and without +1 close up filter with Sony A7 Kolari V2, and Leica M240 using Super Elmar M 21mm f3.4. There are few things that should be mentioned. Firstly, I used a hand sanded lens adaptor to make it shorter so that I can reach infinity with the A7R 2. It is not perfect but I'm quite satisfied with the result. However on the A7K, I used a Voig adapter. Not a big deal, but advantage to the A7K here. All shots were used 4-5s delay timer, in camera IS set to Off, shutter speed 1/4 1/5 second so to avoid high iso when stop down the lens to small apertures. Auto ISO and AWB. Images were made at distance around 2m but the results confirm with near infinity tests. All were sharpened with the same parameters.

Here is the whole scene image.

[/url]_DSC2282 new.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now look at the extreme corner, taking with A7R M2 with and without +1 filter. All crop images are actual pixel, 100%.

Extreme Corner
[/url]M240 W&WO ECorner.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

I would say the improvements are pretty drastic.

Mid Field
[/url]M240 W&WO MidField.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Center
[/url]M240 W&WO Center.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now a more interesting parts. I compared A7R M2 & +1 filter with Leica M240 and A7Kolari V2

[/url]All3 ECorner.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]All3 MField.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]All3 Center.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

What do guys think? M lenses are better used on M bodies, aren't they?

Last edited:

teeraash

Hi Vivek. Here is the pic of +1 filter.

I bought Chinese made 46mm filter. Took the glass out and put in the grounded to size +1 filter. I use Hasselblad Proxar +1 B57 which I believe is a single coated glass. Don't know whether B+W having one as it can be better with multicoat. Again everything works perfectly except the filter frame's diameter is a little too fat that I couldn't not put in the original hood. Have to stop being so dirt cheap and use a better filter frame from Tiffen, Hoya or Kood as suggested by Barry.

[/url]L1010935.jpg by Teera Ashakul, on Flickr[/IMG]

thrice

HD-Pentax-DFA 35mm F3.5 AL [IF] (longest lens name ever?) @ f/11 + A7RII + rear shift/tilt
Olinda2017.jpg
Original is 95 Megapixel. Who needs an IQ3100 right?

Last edited:

Chris C

.....Walking around the South West coastal path looking for images when I came upon this...
Outside loo with phone box ....
Barry –––– Oh dear oh dear. You happened upon a favourite site; I photographed it in 2014 and 2016 [Leica, and not for here].

Keep tormenting me with pictures of Cornwall.

Regards,

........ Chris

gurtch

Lousy weather here on the NJ shore...expecting a two day Nor'easter with heavy snow/rain and flooding, so I have been going through older images and in some cases combining them. Here is one: Foreground: A7RII, 16-35mm lens at 16mm, ISO 400, f11, 1/2000 sec. Sky: Sony A900, Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 lens at 35mm ISO 200 1/640 sec, f9. Figures added PP.
Thanks for looking
Dave
D740 framed.jpg

seb

I like the combination but the color tone of sky and surface looks too different to me.

Lousy weather here on the NJ shore...expecting a two day Nor'easter with heavy snow/rain and flooding, so I have been going through older images and in some cases combining them. Here is one: Foreground: A7RII, 16-35mm lens at 16mm, ISO 400, f11, 1/2000 sec. Sky: Sony A900, Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 lens at 35mm ISO 200 1/640 sec, f9. Figures added PP.
Thanks for looking
Dave
View attachment 125490

mediumcool

Complementary colours

Sony a7 w/adapted Canon FD 100mm f/2.8 1/400 f/5.6 ISO 320

mediumcool

Red and green

Sony a7 w/adapted Canon FD 100mm f/2.8 1/800 f/4 ISO 160

mediumcool

Dying flower with bolts

Sony a7 w/adapted Planar 50mm f/1.7 1/1250 f/4 ISO 400

mediumcool

Pink oleander in shade

Sony a7 w/adapted Canon FD 100mm f/2.8 1/500 f/4 ISO 400

The Ute

3 shots from Coyote Buttes South.
The free standing sculpted image is called "Dali rock" and was made famous by Michael Fatali.
A7RII/24-70GM

Status
Not open for further replies.