Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: From Joseph Holmes: Sony A7R Shutter From Shake Too Great for Many Longer Lens Uses

Post Thanks / Like

Re: From Joseph Holmes: Sony A7R Shutter From Shake Too Great for Many Longer Lens Us

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    For some small percentage, it may be an issue. For most, it will go un-noticed.
    Sure, but then why all the derisive and sarcastic comments directed at those for whom it is an issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: From Joseph Holmes: Sony A7R Shutter From Shake Too Great for Many Longer Lens Us

You're assuming it is directed at them - it isn't. It is directed at the "sky is falling" masses (*cough* dpr *cough*), many of whom have never shot the camera. And maybe a bit at those bloggers who consistently turn molehills into mountains.

As my therapist told me many years ago, "not everything is about you..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    You're assuming it is directed at them - it isn't. It is directed at the "sky is falling" masses (*cough* dpr *cough*), many of whom have never shot the camera. And maybe a bit at those bloggers who consistently turn molehills into mountains.

As my therapist told me many years ago, "not everything is about you..."
    Really? You may want to go back and look at the title of this thread, the original post and your post, which immediately turned the direction of the discussion away from the merits of the issue and possible solutions to a series of derisive comments. So, perhaps your comments weren't directed at Joe Holmes in your mind, but you sure fooled me.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon guys, the benefit of this place (apart from the wonderful company) is that it isn't DPR.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I try to find the humor in life instead of taking things like this so seriously. Really...it is a camera. Talk about your first-world problems.

Apologies to anyone who was offended. I am reminded of the words of SGT Hulka:

Psyco - Lighten up Francis - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    C'mon guys, the benefit of this place (apart from the wonderful company) is that it isn't DPR.
    wait....IT ISN"T?!?!?

damn, I'm typing in the wrong browser window. Mea culpa. Now I'm wondering what I typed on plasticpoodleworship.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    OTOH, I have not mounted a lens longer than the FE 24-70mm lens on it, and longer lenses are more important to me than wider. Just the way I see. I have some FE 70-200mm lenses on order. Should be interesting.
    Once again we are in the very same camp. I would much prefer to do a three shot 50mm than a one shot 35mm. More resolution, very easy and fast to do and I end up with a 57mp 4X3. I have not gone beyond 135mm with the A7r and was disappointed with the lenses. My bad luck..... I had really hoped that the Leica 135 would work out but it didn't and I got a bummer copy of the Zeiss 135mm. I was getting real scared mounting the Zeiss 135 to the A7r.... 2 lbs on the front of that little puppy is a lot of weight and the additional length of the adapter only added to my concerns. Most everything I take stops at 100mm.... add the 50mm and 95% of what I take is covered.
    So I have lots of choices for travel as I have a 50mm Summicron M and a 90mm Summicron Apo M along with a Zeiss 50mm Macro Planar and 100mm Zeiss Macro Planar. The Sony Zeiss 35mm fills the wide end. Its called easy traveling....

Good luck with those heavy long guys......

Victor

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd like to know about any camera issues before a purchase - it's called research. No "sky is falling mentality", only user experience can determine a cameras functionality. Keep it coming, as I'll be using a A7 for an upcoming shoot, and any known workarounds are appreciated, but not the sarcasm.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Once again we are in the very same camp. I would much prefer to do a three shot 50mm than a one shot 35mm. More resolution, very easy and fast to do and I end up with a 57mp 4X3. I have not gone beyond 135mm with the A7r and was disappointed with the lenses. My bad luck..... I had really hoped that the Leica 135 would work out but it didn't and I got a bummer copy of the Zeiss 135mm. I was getting real scared mounting the Zeiss 135 to the A7r.... 2 lbs on the front of that little puppy is a lot of weight and the additional length of the adapter only added to my concerns. Most everything I take stops at 100mm.... add the 50mm and 95% of what I take is covered.
    So I have lots of choices for travel as I have a 50mm Summicron M and a 90mm Summicron Apo M along with a Zeiss 50mm Macro Planar and 100mm Zeiss Macro Planar. The Sony Zeiss 35mm fills the wide end. Its called easy traveling....

Good luck with those heavy long guys......

Victor
    Thanks, I hope it works out with the FE 70-200. My plan is to take the A7R with the FE 24-70, the FE 55 1.8 and the FE 70-200 on a long trip to India in the Fall. (I may even sneak in a small CF Gitzo when my wife isn't looking.)
    BTW, there is a review of the A7 and A7R at bythom.com, which has what purports to be a lens roadmap for FE lenses.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor when I hit the one and only shutter vibration issue was with the Zeiss 135 f 2 ZF.2 on a vertical. Once in many many images but I have yet to see it on my Sony 135 1.8 yet. Honestly past this length is not the biggest concern of mine maybe 300 at the most but even than my shutter speeds are very high up here anyway. Obviously I can find a workaround pretty easy to dance around this issue so I really don't worry about it. I am aware of it no question but to me its a easy issue to dance around as I did with all my Phase bodies which where worse as it was in the 1/30 of a second range with a 300 which actually was a bad shooting spot . I hit it on 1/100 on a vertical with the Sony which for me I picked up on it right in the LCD and made a quick fix. That was much harder on a phase P back by a country mile. I think the real point of this thread it was brought up months ago and it's just old boring news but some people have taken exception to constantly keep dropping the ball on it to generate revenue on there site and that's what really pisses me off. Report your findings than move on is how Professional or so called Professional reviewers should inform the masses. Not keep chewing out spew to ruin a companies reputation. Which is what I see lately. That's not good journalism that's revenue seeking. I give Joe credit for not doing that but not some others. Frankly I think we should close this thread as I see some real member trouble going on and it's not wanted by other members including me. So if we can't get back to the real issue or much better yet indeed is coming up with some good solutions to help avoid the issue. But I will say this is not all Sonys fault either this is adapting non sony lenses as well which Sony has no responsibility for. The only thing they are responsible for is the design of the shutter good bad or indifferent it is what it is and we have a firmware update coming and there maybe a fix. There are a couple ways technically to do this and one I said from day one was put in a 4 second timer option in. Hit the shutter it closes than waits 2 seconds to kill the vibration than records the data than closes. That's exactly how it's done with a mirrored camera aka Nikon D800 series. They could do exactly the same just no mirror in place. Other suggestions have been made which sounds like they would work also. So let's see what they do but finding workarounds is what I have done and its a good suggestion for others to do the same okay I'm going to go do what I do best , go shoot and I'm bringing my 135 with me too. Lol

Have a great day all and remember this is GetDPI a place to learn , share and help each other. Just thought I would bring that up in case anyone was confused.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

It doesn't matter to me what you do..... Sometimes its easy to take a post wrong but I try to take the high road or just let it go. BTW, Guy...... the OTUS is in stock at B&H.... I pulled the trigger immediately..... couldn't pass it up.

Victor