The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions Decisions

jonoslack

Keep the M240, dump the other three.

You have a passion for shooting with a rangefinder which I totally understand and sympathize with.

At this stage it seems you should only shoot that which you connect with on a visceral level.

Don't feel it? Dump it.

All the rest is just intellectual mumbo-jumbo and justifications.

All sort of proven by the fact that "The M stays, two of the others must go", and you aren't totally sure which two.

My paltry 2¢.

- Marc
Not paltry at all Marc. It's something I'd love to do, but there are times (like today), a long walk with the family, and it's great to shoot with AF and a zoom. Part of me says "to hell with it, buy an RX10" but I'm never happy with drab files.
But it is still really tempting.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I can't see why you would use the A7 much when you have an M. The Fuji has the advantage of allowing the full advantage of a Speed Booster for the R-glass, but if it was me, it would be a toss up between the Fuji and the Olympus, probably with an advantage towards the Fuji with your style of photography.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
With the A7R Guy, I would even question the need for the M. What does an M give you an A7R can't, save for the red dot?

I would also make the case that my Canon 20mm f/2.8 FD lens at about 1/20th of the cost of your Leica 19mm is not a bad option either :)
Good results with wide M glass.
-bob

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Good results with wide M glass.
-bob
Bob, can you be more specific? I've seen tests from the 21mm & 24mm ASPH 'Lux's that don't show any problem, and I own the 28mm 'Cron ASPH and the 35mm pre-ASPH 'Cron myself. These both work fine. I think it is widely accepted that the WAIT's also both work just fine.

So can you or someone please tell me just which "Wide" lenses the A7R is not supposed to work with? Most of those earlier tests showing edge problems were due to adapters manufactured for NEX Sony bodies with APS-C size sensors. Fabricators of those earlier adapters hadn't removed sufficient edge material to allow for sufficient across-the-full-frame coverage. I think this problem has now been pretty much resolved with the latest production runs from the major adapter manufacturers, hasn't it?

I am sure open to trying to resolve problems if they exist, but so far on this one I am chasing ghosts. Can you help point me to hard examples?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Shoot a neutral field with a non-retrofocus wide and take a look at the corners.
The wage is a retro as are R lenses. The Leica digital bodies are compensated for non-retro wides by the placement of their micro-lenses. The Sony was not specifically designed for that. 35 is not wide enough to demonstrate this realistically, but the 21 does. This has been widely reported.
Of course this can be dealt with in post, but it is another thing to do.
-bob

CharlesK

Jono, tough decisions!!!
I have M240's with M glass collected over the last 4 years. I recently upgraded my RX1r to the A7r, thinking a lot of M glass would work as well if not better with the 36MP Sony sensor, and it seemed to make sense. So far IMO, most of the M glass still works better on the M240, but the game change changer was the introduction of the FE 55 with AF. The FE 35 is very good, but not in the same league, but it is relatively fast AF. Being mainly a 50FL shooter, the FE 55 stays permanently on the A7r, and best of all my fiancee prefers the A7r combo to the RX1r!!

I will add though a caveat, Sony/Zeiss do really need to catch up and introduce some serious primes, that are fast and have AF with no compromises to match the 36MP sensor. The lenses do need to come out, before Sony introduces the next body updates of the A8/9/r's.

I have been testing the new Fuji XT-1, as I have always loved Fuji colors, and the system seems to be more mature with excellent lenses immediately available... with AF and are fast!!

Great to see this thread, as I think I will just sit back and wait ... for now.

ashwinrao1

Hi There Juha
It's so easy to say! I do have some R glass, and also the 28-85 Contax Yashica . .. erm.
35-70 f4
60 macro elmarit
180 apo elmarit
80-200 f4

You are probably right :)
Tough choice, Jono....

I would say that if you have and want to use that R glass, but don't feel like you enjoy R glass on the M, then the A7 is a no-brainer.

I had no R glass, and found M glass to be less "good" in general on the A7 than the FE glass, so I opted out....MY A7 has left for greener pastures, but I sure did love it...

You seem to have bonded with the Oly as well, but it may be time for a new journey (with Fuji).

I elected for a 2 primary camera set for the time being:
1. M9/MM - My M system.
2. Fuji XT-1: Love the Fuji glass, and Fuji's responsiveness to photographers' concerns and suggesetions. The XT-1, for which I am still waiting, seems to be a responsive camera that will give the other systems a run.

philip_pj

Which system has the most potential, both for some minor design fixes and a huge array of modern lenses, both AF and MF? It will get even harder to keep Sony out of your bank account when the more desirable FE prime lenses start appearing.

It might be that the smaller formats are reaching a plateau, a lot of refinement and natty usability but not so much future. The a7/r is the opposite, in the 'just cranking up' phase of development. I figure file quality and good enough usability will win out in the end.

nostatic

Not paltry at all Marc. It's something I'd love to do, but there are times (like today), a long walk with the family, and it's great to shoot with AF and a zoom. Part of me says "to hell with it, buy an RX10" but I'm never happy with drab files.
But it is still really tempting.
I have the RX100ii and have tried the RX10 twice in my local shop. It is a compelling camera, and the zoom is pretty much idea for walkabout. AF was quick, you can grab video, etc. The 1" file is excellent for what it is, and gives u4/3 a run for its money. But it isn't APS-C, and certainly not FF. In good light if you watch the highlights it gets close. As the light gets worse, it falls off.

I would love to see Sony do that camera in APS-C with a 24mp sensor. But probably would be much bigger/heavier.

No free lunch. I just got back from a walkabout with the A7r and 24-70 and found myself wishing I had a prime on it. I can't imaging carrying that thing around with the Sony 70-200. Makes me rethink the Fuji option as I liked the balance with the 16-55 and the 55-200 could be about perfect. That said, the a6000 would make more sense.

There's always another horse trotting by the stable...:dh2:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My end of day bottom line is I won't buy anything under 24mpx. Just not worth shooting under it. I know sounds snobbish but it's not more about if I'm going to take the time I want horsepower.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
pixels are over-rated if all you do is finish for prints smaller than 24 by 30.

Guy Mancuso

For you maybe not for me . I want elbow room and for small stuff I just use my iPhone. I bought several of these small pixel cameras and I just felt so underwhelmed by the files that I figured why even bother making the effort. But I don't shoot like most people my shooting is usually for a purpose. I don't even take a camera on vacation most of the time. Obviously this comes from a different perspective than most people.

Guy Mancuso

One other factor is stock houses. If I want to just turn everything over to them they have certain stipulations on file size.

pophoto

Hi Jono,

1) With the A7, I could live with it being my only FF camera. Only time will add more quality native lenses. You could decide later! I really hope new firmware could improve Auto WB, it’s way-off compared to my Canon FF and Nikon cameras.
2) Fuji Xt-1. Most of the reviews seem to come from fans or people stepping up from much lesser cameras, and have not experience a full array of systems such for use with flash or where Continuous auto focus and tracking is necessary, as of yet, I am not convinced. For where there is large selection of maturing glass and best in class APS-C sensor, I think IQ is there, but like I said no one make more of a statement from experience users to say this is a game changer, but more like it’s getting better!
3) I still have my EM-5 but I hope to sell it sometime soon, just in no rush to do it. I also feel the EM-1 could possibly be a great camera, but I think for IQ, the Fuji will be better and the A7 the best of the bunch. The m3/4 sensor is a limiting factor for me.

My compromise could be the Fuji XT-1 for myself, but for personal taste I rather like the A7 and no I could not live with the R version with this generation. Perhaps when they introduce a leaf shutter or electronic first curtain like you and other have repeated often, my credit cards might come out of hiding!

Best
Po

retow

M for the RF and the lenses. A7 for the sensor, versatility with R glass and for this excellent 55mm. E-M1 for its ruggedness, performance and to give that brilliant 75 mm some workout. Except for the looks and for being the new kid on the block, I don`t see a compelling reason for the X-t1.

m_driscoll

Jono: You probably know what I'd say.

In the last six years, I've had 5 different Sonys (Nex 5n to the A7), 5 Fujis (X10 to XE-1), 9 Leicas (M7 to M), 5 Nikons (D300 to D3s), Olympus 0MD-EM5, and some others that I probably forgot about. I'm sure my flitting about isn't uncommon. I have the M and the A7 now.

The M provides a satisfying experience and stellar results (subjective opinion). The A7 has great image quality and AF. Sure, I'd like smaller, more compact zooms, but in exchange for the FF, I'll forgo that. The new 24-70's a bit big. I'll live with that. Given my track record, we'll see how long. :D

Keep the M and A7. An A7r and A6000 could be added in the future.

Cheers, Matt

nostatic

In honor of this thread, I did a quick and dirty AF test between the A7r w/55/1.8 and Canon 6D w/24-105/4. Indoors, relatively low light, static objects. Was the Canon quicker? Slightly. Did the A7r hunt? Nope. Did one have a higher percentage of keepers? Nope - both did what was asked of them. Only real speed difference was the shutter - the Canon is quicker. I was a bit surprised as the conventional wisdom is that the A7(r) is relatively slow, especially compared to a dSLR. At least for AF-S, I'm not really seeing that play out.