Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 251 to 300 of 313

Thread: Decisions Decisions

  1. #251
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Well, it's been quite a while Jono. What's the decision?

    Reading some of these indecisive posts from all of us it must take everyone all morning just to get dressed

    - Marc

  2. #252
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Not me I decided with my wallet and happy about it. Now just need to shoot more. My only decision is this weekend what lens to use for some 3/4 shots of models. My standard the 85 1.4 or try the new 24-70 with my focus point finally where I want it on the dang face of the model. Lol

    Bottom line Jono drank the Leica Koolaid a long time ago. He ain't switching now. Lol

    The Fuji, Oly , Nikon DF and anything under 24mpx for me is a waste of my time. Go big or go home. That's me though
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #253
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Tom
    For me, As well as my M - I definitely need camera with AF and a decent mid range zoom, without making too much compromise in image quality.....

    Sony A7 has a noisy shutter and relatively big lenses (again, coming from where I do - I realise it's rather quiet if you come from MF or a big dSLR) - but the IQ is really pretty good.
    Well, there you have it.. size is right, enough lenses and the IQ. Naturally some drawbacks as well, but the important bits are there.

    //Juha
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #254
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Thanks Jono. I thought only A7r shutter was that loud?
    I guess the smartest thing for me is to stay with Leica M and my Canon stuff. I also still have the OMD-E-M5 and some lenses but don't use it often. Eventually I could replace it with an E-M1 -maybe I just wait until I find a used one in good condition.

    If I didn't havethe M I would probably go for the Fuji and accept the problem with the greens or learning another software.
    Looks like Jono's made his choice. Maybe. ;-)

    The A7 shutter sounds for all the world like my Nikon FM with MD-11 motor drive:

    Sony A7 - Continuous capture - video

    While a bit loud, I don't find it all that objectionable. The A7r, without the electronic first curtain, is a bit more clattery (and slower).

    The Olympus E-M1, by comparison, is quieter than an M9 and almost as quiet as an M4-2 in single shot mode (just like its SLR forebear, the E-1, was).

    My preferences are clear: the A7 with the Leica R/Nikkor SLR lenses I've acquired is just great, and when I want AF, quiet shutter, superb ergonomics, excellent lenses, etc etc, the E-M1 does the number very nicely.

    I have no interest in the Fujis, or any DSLRs at this point in time. (Although I'm going to keep the E-1 since I have all the lenses I need for it and I use them on the E-M1 as well. There's little gain to selling the E-1 SLR body at this point.)

    The only M gear I'm going to keep is the Leica CL+CV 21, M-Rokkor 40/90 lenses. Maybe the CV 28mm too. The 40 and 90 work well on the A7 and are nice and compact when I want that. The others work fine for B&W, or color with CornerFix, and are even more compact.

    The only question mark to me is whether to keep the Leica X2 at this point. It's such a handy point and shoot, and makes such nice photographs ... :-)

    G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 21st March 2014 at 07:28.

  5. #255
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Still won't eat cabbage or cauliflower....
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  6. #256
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    I eat Brussels Sprouts now. I'm with you Ben you can keep the cabbage and cauliflower . Yuk
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  7. #257
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    i am way into cabbage and cauliflower. try this:
    Cauliflower with Peas: Organic Gardening
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #258
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Does Napa cabbage count?

  9. #259
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

  10. #260
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    my favorite Indian cookbook; have made her cabbage and cauliflower recipes many, many times
    Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni

    napa cabbage...hmm, sounds like a celery relative
    Last edited by jlm; 21st March 2014 at 11:07.

  11. #261
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,787
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Its all good if not overcooked.....


    Bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #262
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Has anyone felt a little play in the A7/r lens mount?

  13. #263
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Not the camera itself but with my Sony 4 adapter yes but not my Sony 3 adapter . With FE no play
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  14. #264
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Has anyone felt a little play in the A7/r lens mount?
    None at all using the Novoflex adapters on my A7.

  15. #265
    Subscriber Member Chuck Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA
    Posts
    700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Has anyone felt a little play in the A7/r lens mount?
    No play here either Johnny. Something come loose?

  16. #266
    Member nikonf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    In this oldtimer's world, I define a large camera as anything larger than an 8x10 view camera - LOL !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hi Juha,

    Appreciate your comments but of course size of a camera is all very subjective. That's the first time I've ever heard the Df described as massive. For myself, I find it relatively compact for a full frame DSLR and although bigger than a Leica rangefinder still consider it in the relm of a travel camera. Of course it greatly depends on lens selection. I'm used to using the large pro sized Nikon DSLR's and also the Pentax 645D, so the Df is a welcome change in size from those two.

    Again it's all depends on where one is coming from and what their definition is of "a large camera".

    Dave (D&A)

  17. #267
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

    Bottom line Jono drank the Leica Koolaid a long time ago. He ain't switching now. Lol
    Hi Guy
    Maybe I shouldn't have included the M in the shot, as it's not part of the decision. As you say, I was convinced by an optical rangefinder a few years ago. Someone else brings one out and I might look, I can't see it happening now though.

    The Decision was which weather sealed small camera with a zoom I should use.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Well, it's been quite a while Jono. What's the decision?

    Reading some of these indecisive posts from all of us it must take everyone all morning just to get dressed

    - Marc
    But Marc
    If I decide I'll have to qualify my decision (tough to qualify purely subjective decisions), and anyway, it'll spoil the thread (I rather like the vegetable diversion).
    Worse than that I might offend someone who doesn't agree with my decision (and then where would I be!).

    Actually, I have kind of made up my mind: Juha has been extremely perceptive all the way through. In fact, I had pretty much made up my mind when I started the thread. Maybe I'll try and make a reasoned response later in the weekend.

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #268
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    The lens is the native 55mm1.8, but there's a tiny bit of play at the mount. Maybe it's normal.

  19. #269
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Just to add a slight diversion to the discussion.

    Having played with manual lenses on the A7 because you can and the Carl Zeiss primes because they are there I've come to the conclusion that manual lenses are a waste of time.

    It could be my technique but at all times the 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 outshine the two manual Leica lenses I am using. Admittedly, these are the C-40 and C-90 lenses which might not be the height of Leica lens development. I am using a high quality Novoflex mount. My third manual lens, the CV 21/1.8 is damn good but heavy and bulky (which kinda defeats to the object of a compact high quality system).

    The latest Sony roadmap shows Carl Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/2.0 and 135/2.0 lenses in the next 12-18 months. Actually, the first two are supposed to be this year.

    As soon as the 24/2.0 is available I'm dumping the CV 21/1.8 and likewise all the Leica glass when the 135 is out.

    Just my two cents - just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #270
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Just to add a slight diversion to the discussion.

    Having played with manual lenses on the A7 because you can and the Carl Zeiss primes because they are there I've come to the conclusion that manual lenses are a waste of time.

    It could be my technique but at all times the 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 outshine the two manual Leica lenses I am using. Admittedly, these are the C-40 and C-90 lenses which might not be the height of Leica lens development. I am using a high quality Novoflex mount. My third manual lens, the CV 21/1.8 is damn good but heavy and bulky (which kinda defeats to the object of a compact high quality system).

    The latest Sony roadmap shows Carl Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/2.0 and 135/2.0 lenses in the next 12-18 months. Actually, the first two are supposed to be this year.

    As soon as the 24/2.0 is available I'm dumping the CV 21/1.8 and likewise all the Leica glass when the 135 is out.

    Just my two cents - just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

    LouisB
    This probably belongs somewhere in the A7 threads but in many respects I agree with you, and some others I don't.

    It is usually true that native mount lenses work best most would agree that to get the most from a Leica M lens, use it on a Leica M. However, there are a few special M lenses that DO work very well on the Sony.

    What is not clear in the FE lens roadmap is whether the coming Zeiss lenses are AF. Do you know?

    I already have a M 21/1.4 I use on a Leica MM which does work well on the A7R, and while it is relatively large like your CV version, I don't use that focal length often enough to worry about anything new from Zeiss especially if it's slower. Now if is really tiny, I may reconsider.

    I already have a ZA 24/2 I can use on the A7R with the LAEA-4 adapter also not a frequently used focal length. I'd consider a FE24/2 only if and when I move out of the A mount system in future.

    Same with the ZA 135/1.8 I already have. While I'm sure a FE 135/2 would be smaller, it still will not be "small" on the A7/A7R since most anything fast from Zeiss tends to be bigger. Maybe they will surprise us.

    Bottom line is IF the new lenses are manual focus, I'll be sticking with the current 35, 55, and 24-70 AF lenses, with the 35 being just the right size for toting about in casual shooting situations, and the 24-70 a one lens solution for a lot of work.

    In other words, I'm not one of those looking to fill up a camera sack with yet another system to cover every possible photographic scenario. The idea is SMALL and I plan on keeping it that way.

    To use your words: just because you can, doesn't mean you should

    - Marc

    BTW, I'd be far more interested in a fully featured, small but powerful speed-light for the FE cameras one with bounce and swivel head and ability to trigger the bigger 60 speed-light off camera. Until Sony offers such a light, my A7R can't replace or even back-up my A99 wedding camera.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #271
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Just to add a slight diversion to the discussion.

    Having played with manual lenses on the A7 because you can and the Carl Zeiss primes because they are there I've come to the conclusion that manual lenses are a waste of time.

    It could be my technique but at all times the 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 outshine the two manual Leica lenses I am using. Admittedly, these are the C-40 and C-90 lenses which might not be the height of Leica lens development. I am using a high quality Novoflex mount. My third manual lens, the CV 21/1.8 is damn good but heavy and bulky (which kinda defeats to the object of a compact high quality system).

    The latest Sony roadmap shows Carl Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/2.0 and 135/2.0 lenses in the next 12-18 months. Actually, the first two are supposed to be this year.

    As soon as the 24/2.0 is available I'm dumping the CV 21/1.8 and likewise all the Leica glass when the 135 is out.

    Just my two cents - just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

    LouisB
    If the rumors are true then that's cool. I'd be more interested in a 100-ish Macro, a "reasonably sized" super telephoto in the 200-400 range, and a wide zoom like say a 16-35/4.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  22. #272
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Just to add a slight diversion to the discussion.

    Having played with manual lenses on the A7 because you can and the Carl Zeiss primes because they are there I've come to the conclusion that manual lenses are a waste of time.

    SNIP

    Just my two cents - just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

    LouisB
    Absolutely

    HI Louis
    I think it certainly does belong here - and not a diversion at all. I also completely agree.

    The main reason I sent back the A7r back in the autumn was not really the shutter clatter, but because I had bought it to use with M lenses, and with some (few) exceptions I didn't think it did as well as the M240. This really did resolve in my mind that cameras are best used with native lenses (Leica R lenses being an occasional exception).

    When I bought the A7 back in January, it was to use with native lenses - I don't even have an M adapter for it at the moment (might get a VM-E helicoid for fun).

    Just this guy you know

  23. #273
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Absolutely

    HI Louis
    I think it certainly does belong here - and not a diversion at all. I also completely agree.

    The main reason I sent back the A7r back in the autumn was not really the shutter clatter, but because I had bought it to use with M lenses, and with some (few) exceptions I didn't think it did as well as the M240. This really did resolve in my mind that cameras are best used with native lenses (Leica R lenses being an occasional exception).

    When I bought the A7 back in January, it was to use with native lenses - I don't even have an M adapter for it at the moment (might get a VM-E helicoid for fun).
    I agree that Native lenses are "best" but I don't discount adapting lenses for a look or to fill system gaps until more native lenses are released. Case in point I bought a few Zeiss Contax Yashica lenses for portrait work when focus speed isn't a huge issue to provide a somewhat consistent look/ rendering to my other Sony Zeiss lenses. Most of my M-mount lenses work well with the A7 as well. The only two that sort of disappointed was the 35 Summicron ASPH and the 24 Elmar ASPH ADAPTED TO THE A7r. The 24 Elmar works fine on the A7 (especially when the lens profile is used in Lightroom) but it is better on the M9 in most situations.

    Most SLR lenses seem to do well with mirrorless it seems as many are buying the A7 and A7r for that but I don't think most are in a rush to have a mirrorless body hanging off a 800mm lens either.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  24. #274
    Senior Member Elderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

    The Decision was which weather sealed small camera with a zoom I should use.

    Excuse my equipment ignorance Jono (I know nothing about Sony - that's not entirely true .... I did buy a Trinitron TV more than forty years ago!) but until Fuji bring out their weather sealed lenses, isn't the EM-1 with the 12-40 the only combination that would fulfil the above criteria?
    Ian.

  25. #275
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    Excuse my equipment ignorance Jono (I know nothing about Sony - that's not entirely true .... I did buy a Trinitron TV more than forty years ago!) but until Fuji bring out their weather sealed lenses, isn't the EM-1 with the 12-40 the only combination that would fulfil the above criteria?
    The A7 and A7r (along with all of the lenses so far) are weather resistant. Probably not to the same level and tolerances as the OM-D but they are "rated" to be weather resistant for moisture and dust.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #276
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Jono, it's hard to argue with the results your posting on the a7 thread.

  27. #277
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    ...
    Having played with manual lenses on the A7 because you can and the Carl Zeiss primes because they are there I've come to the conclusion that manual lenses are a waste of time.

    It could be my technique but at all times the 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 outshine the two manual Leica lenses I am using. Admittedly, these are the C-40 and C-90 lenses which might not be the height of Leica lens development. ..
    Which manual lenses makes a difference. As does the intent in buying the camera...

    I didn't buy the A7 because I wanted to use it with my M-mount lenses. I have an M9 for that (and an M4-2, and a CL, and a Ricoh GXR ...). I bought an A7 because I had acquired a nice kit of Leicaflex SL lenses that were looking for a FF format sensor to work with, and hoped that the A7's sensor and viewfinder were a compatible match.

    I've long ago passed the point where that which might be 'better' about the Sony/Zeiss lenses is of no particular consequence to my photography. I prefer manual focus, I like having the aperture ring on the lens, I like being in control of focus zone and SEEING it clearly in a bright viewfinder. And I dislike the bulk of most DSLRs ... just like I disliked the bulk of the generations of 35mm film SLRs once they went to AF, built in motor drives, etc.

    The A7 is about as transparent to these lenses as the Leicaflex SL itself: testing by shooting some film against what I see out of the A7, the lenses produce the same results with only minor differences. I love the look these lenses produce. The A7 is the right size, shape, weight ... fitted with the Novoflex adapter, and an R lens, it feels for all the world like my favorite old Nikon F3 or FM2 does in my hands, and sounds similar too.

    I am done.

    The M-mount gear is going, along with a lot of other stuff. I will most likely never buy a Sony lens. I may be missing getting the "most" out of the A7 without them, but it is completely irrelevant to me. What I have now is good enough, the A7 is good enough. If an A7r or A8, or whatever, works as well with my lenses, maybe I'll update the body at some point. But there's really no need.

    My goal now: Sell the rest, put the money back into the bank, and get on with doing photography.

    G

    The secret to success:
    - Start at the beginning.
    - Proceed step by step to the end.
    - Then stop.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #278
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Absolutely

    HI Louis
    I think it certainly does belong here - and not a diversion at all. I also completely agree.

    The main reason I sent back the A7r back in the autumn was not really the shutter clatter, but because I had bought it to use with M lenses, and with some (few) exceptions I didn't think it did as well as the M240. This really did resolve in my mind that cameras are best used with native lenses (Leica R lenses being an occasional exception).

    When I bought the A7 back in January, it was to use with native lenses - I don't even have an M adapter for it at the moment (might get a VM-E helicoid for fun).
    Jono

    That is very much my thinking. If I did still have a Leica Rangefinder then an A7/R would be a nice complement but if I did have a M240 then... well, no cigar.

    I'm just glad that the Sony range is filling out and will give those with less deeper pockets (and skinflints like me) access to good cameras and high quality lenses.

    BTW, answering another poster above, I would be appalled if the roadmap lenses were not AF. Perhaps for me the difference is that as I've grown older I need AF?

    BTW, one reason for keeping the Olympus kit would be the blindingly fast AF. I have held onto my GH-2 and 100-300 for backyard birding. Even though it is a generation or two behind the AF and frame rate is incredible.

    LouisB

  29. #279
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    31

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post


    The M stays . . . . but 2 of the others must go . . . .
    Keep the cameras - Sell the table!
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #280
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Agree.

    I would unload the Oly and Fuji myself. The Sony and Leica can work together to some extent and the Sony has 24mpx when you need it and AF when you need it. To me its real simple the Oly and Fuji really don't bring anything better over the Leica and Sony combo together. Certainly not IQ which is the most important to me at least.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #281
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    I love my E-M1, but my second choice would be Fuji. Then again, sensor IQ is the least important consideration for me amongst these cameras.

    I love stabilized primes, and right now Oly is the only game in town for that.
    Last edited by Amin; 22nd March 2014 at 12:05.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #282
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    If there is a 135/2 on the roadmap and it doesn't weigh a ton, I'll be a very happy camper.
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #283
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Wondering....
    Do either the EM1, A7(R) or XT-1 shoot tethered via USB (mac/OSX)?
    Maybe with their own software and then Hot Folder in to C1 or LR?
    Thank you in advance.
    am

  34. #284
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    The A7r works tethered quite well in C1 with a hot folders you do need to run camera remote program at the same time. I shot about 800 frames in one day like this not one glitch also about 3.5 seconds to preview with the hot folder which is a touch slow but certainly not bad either. I used the supplied USB cable with camera with a powered Siig USB 15 ft cable.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #285
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I love my E-M1, but my second choice would be Fuji. Then again, sensor IQ is the least important consideration for me amongst these cameras.

    I love stabilized primes, and right now Oly is the only game in town for that.

    Hi Amin
    Whilst I agree with you about IQ in principle, in practice I don't like to get crossed by oddities.
    As for the IBIS on the Oly - it's second to none, not an easy decision from here!

    Just this guy you know

  36. #286
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    This has been a fascinating discussion. Held in a single pub, it would have drained more than a keg, and further north, perhaps made a serious dent in the supply of stronger stuff.

    In Jono's picture there was a choice between 16, 24 and about 40 MPx offerings in camera bodies. Not in the picture, each has its camp followers of lenses. Bodies lose their value quickly. Even Leica M bodies, four years later, are worth about half what they first cost. The non-Leica bodies, whose manufacturers make them available in foolishly large quantities, lose that much in a year or so. Lenses depreciate more slowly, and Leica lenses appreciate. The real issue seems to be the care and feeding of all the camp followers.

    Bodies fail, but a closet-full of lenses can be used for a long time, or at least give their owner a warm glow from time to time. For those of us who divide their photographic revenue by the value of the controlled assets required to obtain it, probably the best decision is made after matching their opportunities against the potential of 16, 24 and 40, selecting the right one, and only then letting a flock of lenses flutter into their homes.

    From the picture I submitted, you can consign me to the warm glow contingent. I'll toss M bodies into the E-Bay from time to time, use the Olympus gear with its very nice IBIS as long as it keeps working, and the Hasselbodies were bargains when I got them, and still are.

    scott
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #287
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    ...
    I love stabilized primes, and right now Oly is the only game in town for that.
    Spending time shooting with the 180mm lens on the A7 yesterday nails home why the E-M1 is the one to have with longer lenses. I wouldn't try to hand-hold anything longer than 180mm with the A7, and even that's on the edge, but I can hand-hold 560mm EFL with the E-M1 no problem at all.

    The Sony A7 and Olympus E-M1 bodies may be superseded almost instantly, but I expect to be shooting with the lenses I bought for them on their successors for some time to come. :-)

    G

  38. #288
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Okay Okay - rather than write my decision direction on the thread I thought I'd write a little article about it - so - here it is


    Just this guy you know
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #289
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    I called it. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #290
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Okay Okay - rather than write my decision direction on the thread I thought I'd write a little article about it - so - here it is

    Good article. We all make our own decisions in the end. It's been a fun thread.
    :-)

    I made my decisions too, while different from yours they're quite viable for my ideas of what works best for me. But we agree that the Sony A7 seems a worthwhile body and produces lovely photos, which is what counts. I've collected a bevy of nine Leica R lenses to use with it, and very pleased with them all so far. For me, it's my Manual Machine ... A joy to focus and shoot with when I'm out and about with. The right size, the right pixel count, a good viewfinder.. Just what I was looking for when the whole digital shift started, only I thought it was going to be Nikon that delivered it. I find it a very compelling piece of gear to shoot with, as I did with the FM, FE2, and F3 for almost 22 years. If Nikon had made a real F3 or FM/FE2 digital body like this, I'd be using Nikon still.

    Life's too short. Let's get back to making photographs. :-)

  41. #291
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Jono
    Thank you for the article, helpful as I'm in the process of choosing one of the 3 for a 2 week trip to Poland in Early July.
    Seems strange for you to give up the Oly.
    Also good luck with the fundraiser, glad I could contribute!
    am
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #292
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1,280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GASaholics Anonymous

    Now we know... Somewhere in the east of England there is a well-stocked camera store, offering "mint" newish cameras with the promise that they were only used by a gentleman photographer on his Sunday strolls in fine weather.

    scott
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #293
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Okay Okay - rather than write my decision direction on the thread I thought I'd write a little article about it - so - here it is

    A fun read and the outcome did not surprise me. Except, maybe that I thought you would keep the EM1 as well. But then there is a new Leica announcement coming up soon, maybe you know more than the rest of us................

  44. #294
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Jono,

    I can't connect to your article (or the rest of your site). Has anyone else reported difficulty?

    Best,

    Matt

  45. #295
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    i get a time out and no connection to Gas as well, but only on my shop computers; home setup works fine

  46. #296
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Ah. Thanks. It works from my phone if I turn off Wifi. I have Verizon for home internet, and much of the world sees Verizon as spam. Sorry, getting

    --Matt
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #297
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Ah well, at least I won't have to recommend one of these for you.

    (Cartoonists Berger & Wyse always raise a smile in the Saturday Guardian).
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #298
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Okay Okay - rather than write my decision direction on the thread I thought I'd write a little article about it - so - here it is

    Great article and describes so well how at least I (and I think many in this forum) also feel most of the time!

    I do understand your decision and arguments, although I am a bit surprised you finally choose the A7 over the Oly (EM5 or EM1) as you seemed really to love m43. As you I am having similar issues with final IQ of m43 but still could not make up my mind to sell it because it is so versatile for me - will need some more thoughts.

    I am pretty much with you WRT Fuji, although the XT1 seems to be a lovely piece of camera IMHO the EM1 is still better for a non FF sensor camera - as is m43! If not FF then better chose a decent crop so you get more advantages!

    WRT M - you know I was on the fence from the very beginning and finally did not buy, as I still find the current M not up to real Leica M standards. But there is hope that there will be the next M soon, which will have all the still (at least for me) existing issues of the current M solved.

    And for my Nikon system (D800E based) - currently as system there is no replacement available for me - it is not m43 nor is it Fuji. But maybe it will be Sony FE mount based. From what is rumored as FE lens roadmap there is lot of hope!

    Enjoy your M and Sony

    Best

    Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #299
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    At this point I've distilled down to A7 and RX100ii, with a 6D sitting the drawer in case of dSLR-Emergency. Easy to make decisions, and if/when they add a 135/2.x I'll be pretty set. Until the A8 or RX2
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #300
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Decisions Decisions

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Great article and describes so well how at least I (and I think many in this forum) also feel most of the time!

    I do understand your decision and arguments, although I am a bit surprised you finally choose the A7 over the Oly (EM5 or EM1) as you seemed really to love m43. As you I am having similar issues with final IQ of m43 but still could not make up my mind to sell it because it is so versatile for me - will need some more thoughts.

    I am pretty much with you WRT Fuji, although the XT1 seems to be a lovely piece of camera IMHO the EM1 is still better for a non FF sensor camera - as is m43! If not FF then better chose a decent crop so you get more advantages!

    WRT M - you know I was on the fence from the very beginning and finally did not buy, as I still find the current M not up to real Leica M standards. But there is hope that there will be the next M soon, which will have all the still (at least for me) existing issues of the current M solved.

    And for my Nikon system (D800E based) - currently as system there is no replacement available for me - it is not m43 nor is it Fuji. But maybe it will be Sony FE mount based. From what is rumored as FE lens roadmap there is lot of hope!

    Enjoy your M and Sony

    Best

    Peter
    Hi Peter,
    today I handled the A7 and also the EM1 in the store.

    Besides the (IMO) overloaded menus and buttons I find the EM1 to feel very good in the hand and it has the best EVF for my taste.

    The A7 I found nice as well but the EM1 feels like an extension of the hand.

    My needs for such a camera differ from Jonos, with my small kids I would like to have fast AF and also the option to use a tele-lens here and then.
    So if I would get one of those 2, it would be the EM1. (Specially for someone who also owns another bigger camera for max. IQ like I do , and you too)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •