The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions Decisions

biglouis

All this age-related-comparison-camera-owning stuff only goes to underline Pete Townshend's famous song:

"Well a young man
He ain't got nothin' in the world these days
I said a young man
Ain't got nothin' in the world these days

In the old days
When a young man was a strong man
All the people stepped back
When a young man walked by

You know nowadays
Well it's the old man's
Got all the money
And a young man
Ain't got nothin' in the world these days

You know nowadays, if you're the young man
You ain't got nothin' in the world these days"

(I prefer the 'Live in Leeds' rendition where the last line is somewhat more robust in it vocabulary...)

Tim

Jono,

I've enjoyed this thread, here is some more to ponder from yet another opinion...

Keep the Leica. You clearly like it to use and I can understand it holds a certain style of use that you like. With the M9 IF you parted with it, the cash will no doubt quickly be absorbed elsewhere and it will be hard to pony up the $$ later to buy another, if you get my drift. You have it, want it, don't lose it - there will be regrets.

Back to the question of whats to go F, do you consider the optics in the equation? Are you likely to want or add other lenses. For example, I lament the lack of native m43 10mm (21mm equiv) but there is a beautiful example of the 14mm (21mm) for the Fuji. Could the optics drive your choice?

IF are you just sticking with the zooms, then perhaps the best zoom here could then decide your choice of which body?

One little thing to remember is the A7 can use the APS-C lenses, so that kind of covers what the Fuji/Olympus offers in sensor size. You don't have to always use the A7 at full sensor size. Although there is always the handling of each camera to confuse the issue. Consider also where the "extra" system will be used. If horseback the EM-1 would be essential for that 5 axis stabilizer.

I do believe "less is more" with regards to equipment, but that's easy for me to say as I am not making a living from mine!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well I did say under the picture "the M stays but two of the others must go"
And yes Michiel has it.
Okay, then you're suggesting you probably should have asked this question in the Leica forum instead of the Sony forum?

:D

Ben Rubinstein

My friend made it real for me yesterday when he told me that my students (18) are closer to my daughters age (8) than mine (33). That said most of you here are old enough to be my father... :p

johnnygoesdigital

I've owned the M9, Xpro 1, and tried to use the A7. It's funny the one I like to hold most is the Sony A7 - however, it won't even turn on! The Xpro1 was amazing, but the lens chatter and the video record button was not. The Xt1 seems to have the same video button, and the M9, while nice images and lenses, was overpriced for what it did. I hated the M9 shutter sound too. The M9 never captured the essence of the film bodies, imo, but the rangefinder experience was satisfying. As soon as I held the A7 i liked it. I was excited to mount the lens and pack it in my little clik elite bag, as I've never held such a tiny FF camera. Alas, that won't happen either as the camera won't take a charge or power up. If it did, I would probably keep it because of its form factor, FF and the endless lens choices. The A7 has been said to make better use of some Leica lenses too.

scott kirkpatrick

Jono and other GASaholics, do you sell off whole systems freely when they are obsoleted by the grand march of photographic progress, or hold the lenses and pass along the bodies? I've deaccessioned M bodies (but not the M2), but kept the lenses. Burglars replaced some nice E-1 gear with an insurance payment a few summers back, so that amounts to a system replacement :). I notice that good lenses are holding their value or appreciating, while perfectly useable digital bodies quickly drop to 50-60% of their new prices, so they contribute more to the gear pool if sold than if they sit back in the closet waiting their turn in the sun.

Another wonderful thing about lenses, is that the older ones develop character, while the newer ones come with more "clinical" scientific observing power, so there is plenty of use for each.

As for the complaint about "old guys having all the money," according to Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the 21st Cenmtury," we are entering into a world dominated by immense dynastic fortunes, the Buffets or the Borgias, I guess. Economic and political forces all reinforce this. So watch out!!

scott

Last edited:

Godfrey

Well, the A7 finally showed up. For whatever reason, I just prefer the A7 in use. The A7r certainly wins on raw horsepower, but I think the A7 just clicks more with me (pun intended).

If anyone is interested in a lightly used A7r body, let me know. I can't rationalize having both, especially since I get to write a $5K+ check to the IRS. Getting married is not financially advantageous :D
I'm certainly enjoying the A7 too, and don't feel much deficit from its "only 24Mpixel" resolution.

Trying not to buy anything further here. For a little bit at least. :angel:

G

Godfrey

I've owned the M9, Xpro 1, and tried to use the A7. It's funny the one I like to hold most is the Sony A7 - however, it won't even turn on! The Xpro1 was amazing, but the lens chatter and the video record button was not. The Xt1 seems to have the same video button, and the M9, while nice images and lenses, was overpriced for what it did. I hated the M9 shutter sound too. The M9 never captured the essence of the film bodies, imo, but the rangefinder experience was satisfying. As soon as I held the A7 i liked it. I was excited to mount the lens and pack it in my little clik elite bag, as I've never held such a tiny FF camera. Alas, that won't happen either as the camera won't take a charge or power up. If it did, I would probably keep it because of its form factor, FF and the endless lens choices. The A7 has been said to make better use of some Leica lenses too.
Just trade it for one that works.. ;-)

G

jlm

Workshop Member
i remember running around the schoolyard, 3rd grade, with kids wearing "I Like Ike" buttons. my parents were democrats, so Adlai was their man.

johnnygoesdigital

Just trade it for one that works.. ;-)

G
First impressions are important and if a camera doesn't work for me when opening the box it doesn't instill confidence. I need a small FF camera for remote, snowy climates and thought the A7 would suffice, albeit, with several batteries. Like my Hasselblad H4D/40, when it arrived new, it didn't work, after the third replacement, I decided the QC was not up to my standards and would never purchase a Hasselblad digital again. So, it may be simple to trade a camera back for one that hopefully works, the turnaround can take a week or so. I want to take photographs, not exchange cameras, but might try again later after others have tested a (beta version), 1st gen. camera

Godfrey

First impressions are important and if a camera doesn't work for me when opening the box it doesn't instill confidence. I need a small FF camera for remote, snowy climates and thought the A7 would suffice, albeit, with several batteries. Like my Hasselblad H4D/40, when it arrived new, it didn't work, after the third replacement, I decided the QC was not up to my standards and would never purchase a Hasselblad digital again. So, it may be simple to trade a camera back for one that hopefully works, the turnaround can take a week or so. I want to take photographs, not exchange cameras, but might try again later after others have tested a (beta version), 1st gen. camera
Just one thing to check: Did you plug the camera in and charge the battery?

I've heard of several of these cameras being received with the battery too low on charge to even power the screen on. Mine was. I plugged it in and charged it up, nothing wrong with the camera at all.

(One of the true annoyances with the A7 is that Sony packages it with only a USB power supply, you have to charge the battery in the camera. It's such a dumb idea—I immediately bought three more batteries and a pair of external battery chargers.)

I wouldn't worry too much about it being a "version 1" camera. A lot of folks have been using it quite a lot with very few real difficulties. It's not like the Hasselblad, which is manufactured in far smaller quantities and has generally a more difficult startup ramp as they cannot make a couple hundred and just test them like Sony does.

G

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Mine, too, came with a dead battery. Putting a charged battery in, did not help, because the internal battery was dead. Once charged, all was good. I've had mine since November without any problem.

philip_pj

It's an easy thing to overlook but does affect a few users.

Lol, I have been a perpetual Sony camera 'beta tester' for five years now...not once has any of these five cameras failed in tough field conditions.

The trouble with waiting for the next version is that Sony is so manic in releasing new and even better cameras you might be waiting a while. ;-)

nostatic

Someone asked about video (can't recall if it was this thread). Here is a clip from tonight that my wife shot with the A7 (because I was playing bass). 24-70/4 lens, shot program mode, straight out of the camera and upload to youtube - no post. In addition, this was using the onboard mics.

come together - nostatic - YouTube

Braeside

The X-Pro 1 I had must be faulty as it does not have a video button, thankfully. The X-T1 does however. :p

fotografz

Just one thing to check: Did you plug the camera in and charge the battery?

I've heard of several of these cameras being received with the battery too low on charge to even power the screen on. Mine was. I plugged it in and charged it up, nothing wrong with the camera at all.

(One of the true annoyances with the A7 is that Sony packages it with only a USB power supply, you have to charge the battery in the camera. It's such a dumb idea—I immediately bought three more batteries and a pair of external battery chargers.)

I wouldn't worry too much about it being a "version 1" camera. A lot of folks have been using it quite a lot with very few real difficulties. It's not like the Hasselblad, which is manufactured in far smaller quantities and has generally a more difficult startup ramp as they cannot make a couple hundred and just test them like Sony does.

G
Charge the camera/battery before use = Standard Operating Procedure. Not reading the manual is such a "Guy Thing" ;)

Given the battery consumption, I would have preferred a standard 2 battery charger with the A7/A7R plus the USB cord … because I can charge the camera using my cars' USB port, or from my laptop when traveling light. So, I like the USB cord, and see its' value … but not at the expense of a regular overnight plug-in the wall charger. Makes you wonder what other corners they cut to bring "Mighty Mouse" to market at this price point?

Luckily, after using it for some time now, I haven't found any other cut corners. I'm thinking of adding the A7 to the A7R so I have a quieter camera when desired, and a back-up using the same lenses when traveling. Prices and packages are falling already, so it's getting more attractive.

- Marc

fotografz

The M stays . . . . but 2 of the others must go . . . .
Jono, I just saw and commented on your A7 flower shot with the M50/0.95.

I'm such a visceral animal when it comes to making decisions about gear, that if I took that photo, I'd have listed the other two cameras for sale immediately.

One picture is worth a thousand words intellectually and rationally discussing this stuff.

:)

- Marc

biglouis

I know what you are trying to do here, Jono, keep this thread going so long that you never have to decide :)