The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions Decisions

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I also would like to know...

And make a case for the Fuji...I was unconvinced until this afternoon...finally unboxed the 56 1.2 and used EXIFTool to import a few RAW files into C1 as X-E2 files ... applied the ASTIA profile and voila'! Happy camper now.....

So here are a few pics ... first JPG into PS CC the rest out of C1...these end up being labeled as X-E2 files but are in reality from the X-T1.

Fuji X-T1 18-55 Zoom

Fuji X-T1 56 F1.2

Thanks,

Bob

docmoore

OK last one...lots of high frequency stuff in the lawn...not a bit of artifacting....

Fuji X-T1

I should mention that this lens is tiny for a F1.2.....

Thanks,

Bob

harmsr

Workshop Member
Bob,

I love them.

As soon as Fuji can do focus tracking as well as Nikon, then another one bites the dust. LOL

Ray

docmoore

Ray,

It won't happen....I have a Nikon Df and a Leica S coming....

As Marc W would say....horses for courses...

The Fuji is great for those times when you want a small unobtrusive system for travel or in dodgy situations...and it is so well thought out.

But the EVF still lags behind a decent OVF in bright contrasty light....

JMHO,

Bob

docmoore

Actually,

I said the above comments as the AF with the 56 was fairly awful in moderate light....better with MF and focus assist....

My other cams nail it ... this one struggles when one assumes it should not.

Bob

harmsr

Workshop Member
Ray,

It won't happen....I have a Nikon Df and a Leica S coming....

As Marc W would say....horses for courses...

The Fuji is great for those times when you want a small unobtrusive system for travel or in dodgy situations...and it is so well thought out.

But the EVF still lags behind a decent OVF in bright contrasty light....

JMHO,

Bob
Unfortunately, I agree. However, I can keep dreaming for some day. :D

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Actually,

I said the above comments as the AF with the 56 was fairly awful in moderate light....better with MF and focus assist....

My other cams nail it ... this one struggles when one assumes it should not.

Bob
Not sure if you turned on high performance under the power management options, but it really does help focus.

Ray

jonoslack

HI Bob
Lovely photos as usual - but it was not winter grass that caused the grief, but spring green (as it were). I would certainly have expected all those shots to have done really well with the X-T1 . . . but there were others, and the only solution was to use Iridient, and my primary rule with new cameras is . . . Does it work well in Aperture?
shrug

docmoore

Understood!

Would change places with you in a NY minute....

Actually hoping to be hit by a truck and wake up in Upper Slaughter....:ROTFL:

Although West Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Wales or West Coast of Ireland would suffice....

Its all about the day not the box....

Bob

jonoslack

Understood!

Would change places with you in a NY minute....

Actually hoping to be hit by a truck and wake up in Upper Slaughter....:ROTFL:

Although West Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Wales or West Coast of Ireland would suffice....

Its all about the day not the box....

Bob
Cornwall for me, and you're right about the box, but having embarked down the road of really trying to figure out which suits best . . . one may as well get to the end of that road (even if it would have been better to nip off to the pub instead!)

docmoore

Looking forward to your decision...

Prior to today I was ready to move back to the A7R...not so sure at the present time...and the Df is going nowhere....

Bob

jonoslack

Looking forward to your decision...

Prior to today I was ready to move back to the A7R...not so sure at the present time...and the Df is going nowhere....

Bob
I'd have bought a Df if it wasn't for your lovely photos . . . which made me sure that it still suffered from my Nikon Yellow Neurosis - right or wrong.

I'm certain I can't deal with an A7r either, a shutter that sounds like someone stamping on a tin can is one thing, but one that sounds like two people stamping on a tin can is a stamp too far!

But I'm fairly happy with the A7 - happy enough to embark on the 24-70 and the 55, and superficially pleased with these too. We Shall See!

D&A

Jono...I'm also sensitive to the yellow demon that plagues Nikon ' s DSLR ' S but I have to say that in both color fedelity as well as high ISO output, the Df is on top of the heap as fat as I'm concerned. I truly believe you would not only be surprised by the whole Df experience but it's output. The camera is far greater than the sum of its parts and when used as intended is a pure joy to use.

Just something to thing about.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm really surprised at the comments of the sound of the A7r. It's not nearly as bad as mentioned constantly and anyone that shot MF film or digital it's not even close to the bombs that go off on those cams. Maybe I'm deaf, who knows. Lol

philip_pj

I do enjoy the meaty, masculine sound of the a7r - it feels solid and dependable, like it will last very well. Another benefit is for shooting people who anticipate hearing the shutter release so they can relax. No one jumps away so it can't be too bad, hah.

With the RX1 they just look at you quizzically when you lower the camera after the shot. I had a Fuji 690 that sounded like a bomb going off - an awful 'clank'. The A900 was pretty loud too.

Looking around, some users are more sensitive than others. Some audio files:

A7r Shutter Sound Test - YouTube

Sony A7r and Leica M 240 Shutter Sound Comparison - YouTube

Dave: The problem with Df is that it's massive. It's just too big & bulky for it's own good now that the A7 twins are out. And also it doesn't really know whether it's modern or retro.. it's a mix of things, similar to it's internals.

From the sound of your experience, the internals are a excellent mix but unfortunately, at least I can't say that for the externals. For the hell of it I checked the latest batch of Nikon dslr's at the airport 'cause I had couple of hours to spare andthere's no way I'm going to carry something like that anymore.

Actually aince it was a business trip for a couple of days and I wanted to carry hand luggage only, even the A7r stayed home. Had just the X2 with me and it was brilliant :)

//Juha

D&A

Hi Juha,

Appreciate your comments but of course size of a camera is all very subjective. That's the first time I've ever heard the Df described as massive. For myself, I find it relatively compact for a full frame DSLR and although bigger than a Leica rangefinder still consider it in the relm of a travel camera. Of course it greatly depends on lens selection. I'm used to using the large pro sized Nikon DSLR's and also the Pentax 645D, so the Df is a welcome change in size from those two.

Again it's all depends on where one is coming from and what their definition is of "a large camera".

Dave (D&A)