The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions Decisions

Ben Rubinstein

Yikes!

I'd say lose the 7. You don't get that much better than the M for FF fine art type work. I'd say the toss up is between the other two as to which is a better AF camera to be honest. For work where the M isn't suited.

jonoslack

Keep the 7 and shoot some nice R glass with it along the native stuff..

Small sensors -> out the door :)

//Juha
Hi There Juha
It's so easy to say! I do have some R glass, and also the 28-85 Contax Yashica . .. erm.
35-70 f4
60 macro elmarit
180 apo elmarit
80-200 f4

You are probably right :)

jonoslack

Yikes!

I'd say lose the 7. You don't get that much better than the M for FF fine art type work. I'd say the toss up is between the other two as to which is a better AF camera to be honest. For work where the M isn't suited.
Ah! the other argument! The AF is better on the Olympus, or at least, it's more consistent, and the Xtrans sensor, although a thing of wonder, is not terribly predictable.

The truth is, you're right - I want another camera with a zoom and AF - I can stick zooms on the M okay, but not with AF. Mind you, I don't shoot much sport, so I don't need killer AF....

Arne Hvaring

FWIW: if you keep the M, get rid of the rest and get an a7r, IQ clearly superior. Yes, I have the M, the Oly and the a7r. 60mm Macro R is great on the a7r :)

jonoslack

FWIW: if you keep the M, get rid of the rest and get an a7r, IQ clearly superior. Yes, I have the M, the Oly and the a7r. 60mm Macro R is great on the a7r :)
Hi There Arne
I had an A7r, but I really couldn't handle the clattering shutter (I don't use a tripod much). The Electronic first curtain on the A7 makes a big difference to me for hand held shooting. The 60 macro does well on the A7 too.

I'm hoping they either do something about the first clatter of the shutter on the A7r, or perhaps bring out a 'fixed' camera later in the year.

Mind you, I had the A7r right at the beginning, and was hoping it would be good with my M lenses - sometimes it was, but there were too many compromises - I didn't have any native lenses then (only the 35 was available). I might try again when I've got the 24-70 and the 55 (next week)

Hi There Juha
It's so easy to say! I do have some R glass, and also the 28-85 Contax Yashica . .. erm.
35-70 f4
60 macro elmarit
180 apo elmarit
80-200 f4

You are probably right :)
Yes it is! And in case you end up doing something else, I can help you ease the burdain on some of those fabulous R lenses :salute:

//Juha

ps. I'm coming to uk on 16th and looking to spend some hours in London and then go to Alton until wednesday. You anywhere close?

jonoslack

Hi Juha
we're about 120 miles from London - but we'll be away on the 16th unfortunately . . . well, fortunately actually, we're going skiing!

nostatic

To quote my attorney ex-wife, "it depends." Weigh the various factors:

The Fuji has the closest user experience to the M, with the dedicated dials, etc. If that aspect of shooting is really important to you, then you can dive in with both feet as there are very nice lenses with the system. I had a tough time with the files out of the Fuji - comparing the Fuji jpg to the raws from RX1r and A7r were pretty night and day to me, mostly with the ability to move around in post. But I didn't spend a lot of time with the Fuji, nor did I try raw converters that don't suck for it.

The EM1 is probably the best all-arounder wrt performance. If you like the files coming out of it, hard to fault the camera. But I know that after moving to the Sony FF files, working with the GH3 that I still have definitely feels like a compromise from an IQ standpoint. But to be honest, for web delivery it isn't going to be night and day. For large prints - probably will be a noticeable difference.

A7 is a work in progress but there is something about it. Like you I prefer the A7 shutter to the A7r, but the files out of the A7r keep me shooting that.

Hard to make a bad choice. I love the handling of the A7(r) and didn't get on with the Fuji so my decisions have been a bit easier.

jonoslack

A7 is a work in progress but there is something about it. Like you I prefer the A7 shutter to the A7r, but the files out of the A7r keep me shooting that.

Hard to make a bad choice. I love the handling of the A7(r) and didn't get on with the Fuji so my decisions have been a bit easier.
Hi Todd
The decision will make itself in the end - I'm pretty sure I know which way I'm going. Still, your assessment is pretty accurate:

Fuji is nicely analogue - but the Xtrans files are sometimes problematic
E-M1 performs really well - no surprises - but noisy skies sometimes
A7 files are fantastic, but the camera is a bit clunky.

sc_john

The M stays . . . . but 2 of the others must go . . . .
I share your conundrum. I have a Fuji X-T1/x-Pro1 kit that I enjoy, but would prefer a FF solution for my R35-70/4 and 80-200/4. That got me looking at A7 & A7R. Shutter shake of A7R has me a bit concerned, but it is hard to ignore the siren call of 36MP. Having said that, 24MP should be plenty of data. Decisions,decisions…

Best,

John

nostatic

Hi Todd
The decision will make itself in the end - I'm pretty sure I know which way I'm going. Still, your assessment is pretty accurate:

Fuji is nicely analogue - but the Xtrans files are sometimes problematic
E-M1 performs really well - no surprises - but noisy skies sometimes
A7 files are fantastic, but the camera is a bit clunky.
I have my guess on which one you're keeping - is Vegas laying odds on this? :D

Truth be told, the RX1r gives me the most consistent results. 35mm isn't really my favorite focal length, but the 24mp no-AA FF sensor and the 35/2 Zeiss glass just works shot after shot. Only downside is no EVF. As I've said before - if the make the A7ii or A8 with a silent shutter (or at least EFC) and no AA filter, and come out with a native 85 or 135mm lens, I'm all-in. I'd be fine with 24mp. 16 though - I feel like I'm giving up flexibility.

Elderly

Hmmmmmm - you posted 'Decisions, decisions ' in the Sony lounge,
should we read something into that ????????

Do size and weight of the lenses come into the equation for you?
I was an early adopter of micro four thirds (GH1) as after a lifetime of happily carrying around ridiculous amounts of gear - something snapped (metaphorically) and the relief of
a small light system with what I though would be acceptable IQ was a revelation.

And are you really happy with the 4:3 format of the EM-1?
I'm afraid that for landscape format shots I'm always feeling that my instinctive walkabout composition probably suits 3:2 better.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Damn simple A7r and M. Game over

When you need big you got it and you have the glass for it just need to add my 19. Done

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I have my guess on which one you're keeping - is Vegas laying odds on this? :D

Truth be told, the RX1r gives me the most consistent results. 35mm isn't really my favorite focal length, but the 24mp no-AA FF sensor and the 35/2 Zeiss glass just works shot after shot. Only downside is no EVF. As I've said before - if the make the A7ii or A8 with a silent shutter (or at least EFC) and no AA filter, and come out with a native 85 or 135mm lens, I'm all-in. I'd be fine with 24mp. 16 though - I feel like I'm giving up flexibility.
Todd, I think both you and Jono need ONE more camera accessory to complete an A7R package. Namely this one: Pro Ears Foam Plugs PE-FP. Pro-Ears Hearing Protection. :) My Honda Civic Si is a little rice rocket, that has a side effect of sounding like a little rice rocket. Duh! A little shutter noise is not the worst thing in the world, loud shutters without great IQ are far more objectionable for me. :deadhorse: