The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7/A7r with old lenses

arri

Voigtländer Heliar 3.5/55mm made in 1934. I removed the complete lens and shutter out of the camera, so it is possible to replace it again any time. It were mounted in a 127 format camera and Voigtlander were the only company which uses 55mm lenses for it, all others are used only 50mm lenses and this ones have often problems to cover the full frame of 30x40mm with a ral good quality. This short Heliar is only find in a vintage Perkeo 3x4 but very hard to find, the mount used lenses in this cameras wer the Voigtar and the Skopar.
I used a Leica Nooky close up focus mount, with it I can gave the lens a correct cam for a Rangefinder camera, it were a little bit difficult but it works, I use this gem with my Sony A7.
Her the first test shot with the Heliar, in colour. The lens shows a good quality at f/3.5 and is excellent when stoped down, I guess the 10% longer focus helps a lot to optimise the quality.

Attachments

arri

Today I finished a Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 2.8/50mm, made in 1937. It is out of an old Kodak Retina rangfinder camera but I got it mounted in a shutter only, without the body, so "we agreed" that it got a new job in a new mount.
It is a five element system, computed by A.W.Tronnier.
Now here are three samples I made with this great Xenon lens.

Attachments

V

Vivek

An uncommon Tamron adaptall 105/2.5 with a simple 4/4 design. Getting the focus right is a task. The booket is not that smooth and also not very sharp for a 42mp sensor. But, this is the most compact short tele that I know of. With an adapter and all, it is about the same size as the Zony 55/1.8

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Sony A7rII(m), Tamron 105/2.5, The Hague

V

Vivek

Color Minotar 35/2.8 from a Minox mounted for Sony E mount. Bought used on eBay. A recent CLA made it better. :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7rII(m), Color Minotar 35/2.8, The Hague

arri

Kuhnert Frilon 1.5/50mm and a cut out of the sample. Again with f/1.5
I find it a very interesting lens, made with only six elements, cumputed by Kuhnert himself and sold in the 1950th for the Futura rangefinder cameras.

Attachments

arri

Kuhnert Evar 2.0/50 This is the second lens I have from Mr. Kuhnert, the results are similar to the ones I made with the Frilon. The Evar is a five element lens only and I´am really surprised that it were possible to design good lenses with less elements.

Attachments

arri

Voigtlaender vintage Nokton 1.5/50mm and a cut out of the sample. The Nokton were the reference of all f/1.5 lenses for many years. The barrel is mega solid, made of solid brass, designed by A.W.Tronnier. Made of seven elements in five groups. Made for the Voigtlaender Prominent and a few made for Leica Screw Mount M39.

Attachments

arri

Carl Zeiss Jena Makro Prakticar, developed out of the Zeiss Pancolar but optimised for macro use up to 1:2
The second sample shows the object 12 years ago, you see that the tree is still "eating" the sign, I guess in 50 years it is aready gone.

Attachments

Last edited:

arri

The second lens of the "new" Zeiss Jena lens set, here the Carl Zeiss Prakticar 1.4/50mm. Zeiss Jena starts a complete new lens set in 1988 for the Prakticar B, it has some very interesting lenses, for me the the 55mm Macro and the fast 50mm lens are the most interested pieces

Attachments

V

Vivek

Meyer Goerlitz Trioplan 2.8/100mm. Black Exakta version.
Rare beast!

I never owned a Trioplan 100mm. Found the bubble bokeh recently in a Canon FD 50/1.8.

\

Sony A7rII(m), Canon FD 50/1.8, The Hague

arri

Rare beast!

I never owned a Trioplan 100mm. Found the bubble bokeh recently in a Canon FD 50/1.8.

\

Sony A7rII(m), Canon FD 50/1.8, The Hague
You are absolutly right, this "bubble bokeh" is often find, it needs only special highlights in the picture, in yours the lamps and in my sample the reflexion on the water surface. I bought the Trioplan only because it has had a moderate price, I remember the time very well when this lens were available for 50 Euros or less at photos fairs or second hand in a shop. But it needs only one "nerd" with a blog who writes something about the "unique" bokeh and it goes high in the price, it has something like insider deals, collect some pieces of a kind of lens, write something about it, it should sound clever and maybe a little bid engineering and than you can sell it for a better price. I guess this can work.
BTW: I like your photo

scho

A few shots taken with an old M42 mount Pentax Super-Takumar 55/2 on the a7R(m) with Astronomik sensor clip-on hot mirror. The lens elements have a pronounced yellow tint, probably from aged lens cement. I also have an old 35/2 Super-Takumar that looks the same and is even more beat up in terms of dings and dents.