The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7/A7r with old lenses

petronius

Hello everyone, I´m new here. In the last 40 years I piled up a lot of lenses, that I can now use with one single camera, my Alpha 7.

This was taken with a Meyer Domiplan 50mm/2,8

The Domiplan (in the Porst Pentaflex version) was the first lens I owned when I started photography in 1979 with a Porst Reflex FX3.

pegelli

I also like the veiled look of that last one petronius, only the flare is mildly distracting. But a mysterious shot anyway :thumbup:

A little comparison between two Meyer Görlitz 100/2.8 lenses on a cherry blossom in our garden

Yesterday with the Orestor 100/2.8 @ f2.8 and ~30 mm extension tube:

Today around the same time with the Trioplan 100/2.8 @ f2.8 and a similar extension tube:

A very different character between the two :cool:

petronius

Thanks for the kind words! The flare doesn´t work everytime, but here I like it. One of the great things in using a EVF is the control of the flare before shooting. It´s nice to discover the "personal" flare of different lenses and light situations. I shoot most lenses without a hood. (The interest in these sometimes weird effects might come from my former affinity to pinhole photography with selfmade cameras)
Here a Jupiter-8 (Kiev mount):

pegelli

Member B L (Bashir) sent me two nifty 50's he didn't have use for anymore. He sent them for free and didn't even want to be reimbursed for the shipping cost. What else can I do than thank him for this generous gesture which I followed up with a donation to the Red Cross Covid relief fund so that his good deed got passed on to people who really need it. I hoard too much equipment anyway so I can't say I "needed" these lenses allthough it's always fun to play with them.

The first is a Yashica DSB 50/1.9 for which I needed to order an adapter that came in today
The second is an OM Zuiko 50/1.4 for which I already had an adapter

So I took out both lenses for a little test today

First the Yashica:

Little pond

Castle Hallehof (on a tripod to do an exact comparison between the two lenses)

Second the Olympus:

Castle Hallehof

Side building on the castle grounds

All shots on an A7Rii

Pixel peeping wise there's virtually no difference in sharpness in the center of the lenses, I'd say the Olympus corners are a hair better but the Yashica is certainly no slough there either. At web size this minute difference totally goes away. FOV wise the Olympus is a tad narrower than the Yashica.

So thanks Bashir, getting new toys is always fun and in these times of lockdown to have something extra to play with is a real bonus :thumbup:

Next step is doing some bokeh and flare comparisons, but to be fair I also then need to find a hood for the Yashica, believe it or not, but I don't have a hood for 52 mm thread in my collection :facesmack:

gurtch

I posted this earlier on the "Fun with Sony Cameras" thread. It probably belongs here given the very old lens I used. I wrapped masking tape around the collapsible barrel so I would not accidently collapse the lens and damage the sensor. Thanks Dave

Still more time on my hands to look at old digital files and process them for the first time. This image is a true "throw back". First, Polly's dock no longer looks like this with Condos in the background. But more obvious is the "soft focus" effect not possible to duplicate (in my opinion) via software. I used a Sony A7R digital camera, which is already out dated, and I no longer have it, and a lens adapter that allowed me to mount an uncoated Leica 50mm Summar lens built in 1935, shot wide open; thus the soft focus! D820 framed.jpg
www.modernpictorials.com

camping

Problem with C Mount to Sony adapter on 6500.
I have a series of c mount Angenieux and Switar lenses with c mount to Sony adapters that I used on my Sony Nex 7 with no problem.
I now have a Sony 6500 and the adapters (individual one for each lens) do enter the 6500 flange but they CANNOT be turned to mount the lenses.
Is the problem that the NEX mount is plastic and the same mount for the 6500 is metal? When I look for c mount to Sony adapters on net they always say that they are for c mount TO NEX. Has anyone found a source/solution for an adapter that will work?
Thanks,
Paul