The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cool features of A99

ryc

Why not list what you think is a nice feature on the A99 it could be unique to Sony or just a good implementation of a technology.

I love the DMF focus mode combined with focus peak. It acquires focus automatically on your selected focus point first then switches to manual focus with peak so you can tweak the focus exactly. Great feature. I think it is only available on Sony but I may be wrong.

fotografz

One of the "gizmo" type things that purists scoff at is the articulated LCD on the A99. While there may be some other camera with something similar, I don't think there is one in this FF class of camera that is so "configurable". Darned thing is like some piece of Origami that folds almost anyway you can think of.

I have found it extremely valuable in all sorts of situations … like placing the camera up against a wall when you can't get back far enough for some shot … or overhead shots to a greater degree than is possible with just a tilt out LCD. Heck, you can even configure it up and forward to face toward the subject to do a "selfie".

Plus, you can fold it out, swivel the LCD facing inward and close it with the LCD surface facing inward to protect the screen.

Pretty rugged design also. I use it all the time at hectic weddings and events with zero issues.

- Marc

sandrahmart

One of the "gizmo" type things that purists scoff at is the articulated LCD on the A99. While there may be some other camera with something similar, I don't think there is one in this FF class of camera that is so "configurable". Darned thing is like some piece of Origami that folds almost anyway you can think of.

I have found it extremely valuable in all sorts of situations … like placing the camera up against a wall when you can't get back far enough for some shot … or overhead shots to a greater degree than is possible with just a tilt out LCD. Heck, you can even configure it up and forward to face toward the subject to do a "selfie".

Plus, you can fold it out, swivel the LCD facing inward and close it with the LCD surface facing inward to protect the screen.

Pretty rugged design also. I use it all the time at hectic weddings and events with zero issues.

- Marc
Nice..

jsparks

I really like the manual mode with auto ISO. I know there are other cameras that do this, but the A99 was the first camera I used with this feature. Not all versions on other cameras offer exposure compensation in this mode, but the A99 does. I find it really useful.

I love the sensor based anti-shake. I find it better than other anti-shake systems I've used (I haven't tried the 5-axis Olympus version which might be better). I can leave it on all the time and haven't seen problems unlike other, especially lens based systems that really need to be turned off when not needed. That combined with the EVF and good high ISO lets me shoot hand held in lower light than I can see.

philip_pj

A very well integrated camera, quite light and small, nice silent mode dial, robust IBIS body, excellent full-featured EVF, GPS, SD card slots, do-it-all rear screen, SLT means a perpetually clean sensor, the first iteration of the excellent 24Mp sensor, focus magnification and peaking - all this made it an excellent legacy manual focus lens camera - a fine stepping stone to the a7/r series. Quiet EFCS shutter (a moderately loud 'thunk'), Sony menu system and compressed RAW format.

And custom settings, fine ergonomics. I figure this camera convinced Sony that they would never succeed in any head-to-head DSLR war with C/N, as it sold poorly and got little respect.

fotografz

Good over-view Philip.

Interestingly, I had similar impressions regarding the A900 at the time. I think Sony over-built the A900 and under priced it to gain a foothold in the DSLR sector. Didn't work out that way.

Moving to the SLT FF A99 took some guts, since the EVF is the one feature that was sure to polarize DSLR users. If that move had succeeded, I'm not sure we would have seen such an aggressive foray into the small mirror less FF arena like they did with the A7/A7R.

Can't win the game as played, change the rules.

Hopefully, an updated A99 will still see the light of day … higher meg, the newer AF technologies hinted at in the A77, and even better high ISO capability.

I'm wishing and hoping because I have a lot of A mounts I'd prefer using on a direct A mount camera.

That is if I even stay in the 35mm FF SLT/DSLR camera category.

- Marc