Site Sponsors

Thread: Anyone tried the Leica Macro Adaptor M on A7/R?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried the Leica Macro Adaptor M on A7/R?

I have a 90mm Macro Elmar which works beautifully with a Novoflex adaptor on the A7R, but I don't have the macro adaptor.

It looks to have some superfluous 'bits' on it for rangefinder coupling. I wonder if they get in the way? Given that otherwise it is just an extension tube, does anyone have any suggestions of something else that might work well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anyone tried the Leica Macro Adaptor M on A7/R?

I'll check when I get home. I haven't tried the adapter yet, but the 90ME works very well on there.

I was thinking that there might be a M--->M adapter (close focus adapter) available in generic photo products land that would make a good 1:1 adapter for the 90ME. Haven't looked around for one yet, though.

I'm guessing it'll work, because the bits are designed to cover the normal viewfinder mostly and so they should not interfere with the grip when installing it.
    ---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Would love to hear. Am going to order some Kenko E mount extension tubes and try them on the ME with M>E adaptor....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Darn it, I forgot to pull it out last night and try it... I promise I'll do it tonight unless someone beats me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    Is there a problem using the Voigtlander VME adapter? I'd have thought that was a much better bet.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono, I'll look it up - I didn't know it existed!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    Is there a problem using the Voigtlander VME adapter? I'd have thought that was a much better bet.
    A simple macro tube on a Novoflex adapter is likely more rigid than the variable focusing helicoid of the Voigtländer and other similar adapters.

I have used the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 pre-AI with matched PK-13 (?) extension tube on the A7, fitted to the Novoflex NEX/NIK adapter. Very rigid and precise fit, works perfectly.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I think I'm going to go Kenko, since you get a pair of tubes that can be used separately or together. With my Foldio portable macro studio I'll travel with an entire 56mp macro setup including lighting in a briefcase. Nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Leica macro adapter works perfectly. No interference with the grip or the L bracket that I use.

I don't have a grip for it, but I don't think it would interfere with that either, as everything is on the top side.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for looking into that, very kind. I think that the 'smarts' in that adaptor are just the RF coupling. The rest is really just am extension tube. So maybe all I need is the Kenko or similar?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've not used the VM adapter, but I have used the Hawks bay adapter - much cheaper - there wasn't any movement noticeable with that, and it has the HUGE advantage that if you turn it all the way the lens is just normal (as does the Voigtlander). An extension tube like the OUFRO means you can only focus in a very small range, and if something wonderful happens 15 ft away you've lost it.

Seems like a no-brainer to me

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I've not used the VM adapter, but I have used the Hawks bay adapter - much cheaper - there wasn't any movement noticeable with that, and it has the HUGE advantage that if you turn it all the way the lens is just normal (as does the Voigtlander). An extension tube like the OUFRO means you can only focus in a very small range, and if something wonderful happens 15 ft away you've lost it.

Seems like a no-brainer to me
    I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm shooting close-ups in the 1:3 to 1:1 range, my camera is on a tripod, copy stand, or other fixture. There's no way I'm going to whirl around and snap a picture of something 15 feet away with it without taking the setup apart and reconfiguring the camera entirely anyway ... I'll just have to grab one of the other dozen or three cameras in the cabinet for that! ;-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Thank you for looking into that, very kind. I think that the 'smarts' in that adaptor are just the RF coupling. The rest is really just am extension tube. So maybe all I need is the Kenko or similar?
    Yes, there is no benefit to using the Leica adapter on a camera that doesn't have RF coupling or the ability to collect the 6-bit code for lens identification, I don't believe.

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Had the regular Voigtlander M adapter, and now have the close focus VM-E. Even taking into account the focus helicoid, the VM feels more solid and stable than the regular adapter. When I got it was surprised the build was so much better (to me).

Not sure if it will meet your needs as a true macro, though. Link to close focus distances by focal length:

VM-e close focus Adapter

Your Macro Elmar isn't listed, but the minimum focus distance will be quite close to the listed CV 90, going by experience using various non-listed lenses at the same focal length.
    "We're human, after all, and everybody's got something a little off somewhere." - Murakami Haruki, The fall of the Roman empire

Post Thanks / Like

If you go for the Hawks just make sure you get the newest version for full frame