Site Sponsors

Thread: Prices are crashing down

Post Thanks / Like

Prices are crashing down

At B&H After $460 off,

Sony A7 Body $1,238.00
    Sony A7R Body $1,838.00
    Sony A7 with 28-70mm lens kit $1,538.00

This must mean that a replacement is about to be released and Sony wants to blow out all remaining inventory on this five (?) month old camera?

I feel a like I was overcharged, and I haven't even needed to pay my credit card bill on my A7 yet!

Never purchased a "new" product and felt like I was overcharged so quickly.

Can I return my A7 with 1200 activations?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prices are crashing down

There's supposed to be a high end "pro" FE model that is released later this year. It's still a rumor for now though. I think the cameras are priced perfectly but these deals makes them more attractive to those who were looking to high end cropped mirrorless sensors.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This probably means that Sony didn't sell as many as they expected. The bean counters have targets to reach, and don't believe in waiting for the cash to appear, particularly not in a cut-throat electronics market, so they do whatever is necessary to reduce stock. This is the way Sony and other electronics companies operate and those who want to be their customers better get used to it.

I bought my Panasonic GH3 8 months after it was launched, almost 40% under the original price. Same kind of company, same kind of product, same principle.

Post Thanks / Like

Employees were offered the A7's, lenses and accessories at 50% off. I had a friend who helped me out. A7 kit with the zoom lens cost me 1000.00. 55mm 1.8 was 499.00 and the 35 was 399.00. I am sure they are still making money even after the employee prices. If they can offer this deal to employees they should just offer these prices to the general public and obliterate the competition. Sony would shoot to the top, get everyone hooked then they can jack up their prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    Employees were offered the A7's, lenses and accessories at 50% off. I had a friend who helped me out. A7 kit with the zoom lens cost me 1000.00. 55mm 1.8 was 499.00 and the 35 was 399.00. I am sure they are still making money even after the employee prices. If they can offer this deal to employees they should just offer these prices to the general public and obliterate the competition. Sony would shoot to the top, get everyone hooked then they can jack up their prices.
    Or they are targeting "market leaders" : if one employee is happy with the camera, he can help selling many more. So selling one with a loss, or without the expected profit margin may end up being profitable if it brings more Sony customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony are no doubt very keen to put the cameras in front of potential buyers, and they no doubt believe the products are good ones. However, particularly in respect of the a7r there has been quite a volume (putting it mildly) of contentious opinion disseminated on the web.

The makers are in a better position to know but it seems likely that such opinion may affect sales of such products - this matter not being restricted to Sony, of course...marketing managers must be a tough bunch generally. Price reductions are one way around the issue to some extent, so it may be a sound marketing move by them. They have a long term interest in a wide adoption of the FE 'system' in this early development stage, as do (happy) users.

For users with an interest in image quality as a higher priority than satisfying their particular idiosyncratic ergonomic preferences, a comparison with their current camera's output would (you would think) play well for Sony. I see this message repeated again and again in forums.

If you look at a breakdown of the (well-engineered) a7/r bodies, there is not a lot in there compared with the large volume of 'wrapping' in a typical DSLR, and what is there is mostly electronic components which benefit from volume production to a much greater degree.

Sony are of course chasing the DSLR segment of the market, not just mirrorless. Feedback from B&H sales and the promo there will provide valuable pricing data - where is the sweet spot and how price-sensitive are buyers? What is the optimum trade-off point between price and volume? These are brand new and very different products, a true niche product right now, not much is known about these issues.

I am pretty happy to pay the 'early adopter surcharge' for the big leap in image quality the a7r brings to the thousands of images it has pumped out lately. If I divide the gain in IQ by the # of images, it's pretty affordable! But I remember film buying and processing and the costs associated with that.

I'd like to see accurate sales volumes like we all would. Price reductions are a good sign, and we all benefit from this kind of 'deflation' in time. ;-) The other makers, not so much. Sony is a strong competitor, not to be underestimated.

Post Thanks / Like

This price decrease was just to be expected. The A7/A7r may be great cameras especially WRT IQ from native lenses. But while there are lot of early adopters especially in this forum glueing third party glass on these bodies, this is NOT the mainstream - and thus from this clientele huge volume cannot be expected. And why would anyone already sold in another system (especially Canon/Nikon) just switch to Sony with all their history of launching a good product and then not following up as expected - just see the A-mount FF story ....

So they cannot ship/sell the volume they estimated and thus they are reducing prices to gain momentum. Another reason might be that A8/A9 or what else camera are just around the corner, so better to get rid of "old" stock.

Finally there are number of issues reported with A7/A7r which is also not helpful to increase sales. And the lens lineup of native glass is just far from mature. Maybe in a year from now this could have changed - hopefully. And then a A8/A9 would also be available without (almost without) any issues. But this is just future and currently there can be only hope to get there.

So no big surprises.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
    At B&H After $460 off,

Sony A7 Body – $1,238.00
    Sony A7R Body – $1,838.00
    Sony A7 with 28-70mm lens kit – $1,538.00

This must mean that a replacement is about to be released and Sony wants to blow out all remaining inventory on this five (?) month old camera?

I feel a like I was overcharged, and I haven't even needed to pay my credit card bill on my A7 yet!

No. To me this means Sony wasn't selling as much as they thought and/or mirror less market just got very competitive. The hype baton is now on the Fuji X-T1... who would go for the Sony given the price difference and all that is being said on the X-T1 (note: I am not saying I agree with then hype or think the Sony is all that or the Fuji is all that, just commenting).

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    No. To me this means Sony wasn't selling as much as they thought and/or mirror less market just got very competitive. The hype baton is now on the Fuji X-T1... who would go for the Sony given the price difference and all that is being said on the X-T1 (note: I am not saying I agree with then hype or think the Sony is all that or the Fuji is all that, just commenting).

- Ricardo
    I think you are actually very right - just think about the last year - hype was shifting from EM1 to XE2 to A7/A/r and now to XT1.

Just wonder when XT1 will get "old fashioned" and when all the currently very happy A7/A7r users sell their gear to jump to the next hype
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I think you are actually very right - just think about the last year - hype was shifting from EM1 to XE2 to A7/A/r and now to XT1.

Just wonder when XT1 will get "old fashioned" and when all the currently very happy A7/A7r users sell their gear to jump to the next hype
    I don't think the majority will if IQ, adapted lenses, and a FF sensor are the concerns.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a shame, it means that a number of issues with the A7/r will not be addressed in firmware rather will be fixed in a new camera.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

In my mind early adopters to new technology always pay more than people who wait for some time. Secondly I think the more "step-out" the new technology is upon introduction the faster the price decline will be. I think we see both these effects in practice here (in economics it's referred to as the "experience curve")

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the FF for me... I had the Fuji X pro and really liked the images, but it had quirky issues. The XT1 is still a cropped sensor, so I'm not going to compare. The XT1 is taking pre orders @ BH, so I think Sony's astute marketing is to keep prices for A7/r's in line or better with the XT1. Full frame ML cameras is the new hype, much like megapixels were. Sony's got them both.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is exactly what I predicted, and why I got the A7R and will wait to get its replacement with the A7R then acting as backup. I knew Sony's track record although this is faster than usual even for them. I thought it'd be mid-summer before such reductions.

It may also mean even steeper reductions a few months from now making this the best value deal ever.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's the same business model as inkjet printers - give the printers (bodies) away so you can sell inks (lenses). Maybe the margins are really in the lenses.

Then again, it's a super competitive market and the average photographer probably doesn't care much about full frame and stepping into a world of $1K lenses. Sales numbers show that the mirrorless share of the US is small. FF mirrorless must be VERY small. What else can a company do but lower price? But it does feel like a de-valuing of the product line.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, even at retail price, I think that the A7r is an awful lot of camera for the money. What else is out there? I'm very satisfied with my purchase and try to never be upset if/when prices fall.

Joel
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Good prices! I wouldn't have paid the price for my A7 if I didn't think it was worth what I paid for it. And it wasn't retail list anyway. So I am only happy to see that if I want to buy a second body, either A7 or A7r, it will cost me less.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Methinks that until they cut the exorbitant price of the RX-10 by 50% the three who fell for it at 1150€ a pop deserve a medal.

Nice camera, mind you. Just not buying, see?

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't see those prices at the B & H site?

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the $460 off either. $300, yes (took advantage of that for both A7r and A7 purchases).

This price break is a bit early but totally fits with the current model of pretty much all of the companies. Fuji is discounting XE-2 (not that old of a body) and discounting lenses heavily to push the XT1 adoption. Panny cut the GX7 prices quickly after launch, then raised them back up, then dropped them. About the only one that hasn't gone that route is Oly with the EM1

Post Thanks / Like

I took B&H up on this offer today. $1238 for an A7.

The new discount is not shown on the site and is not reflected in an online order. Even calling them, I spent a good hour trying to work through this with multiple B&H departments. The sales staff did not know how to get the discount into the order. But I finally got someone who could handle it. Apparently, if you received the promotional $460 email, there is a link there that includes everything you need.

I had an A7 for a short time, but returned it for an electrical issue. Looking at the files some more, I really like them and figured I'd give it another try. Seems like a better long-term approach than sticking with my Nex 7 or going with the A6000. I've got a few Rokkor and Contax lenses and adapters that I'll use for a while, and maybe buy one AF. I'm hoping the A7 and GR will cover my needs for the foreseeable future.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
    At B&H After $460 off,

Sony A7 Body $1,238.00
    Sony A7R Body $1,838.00
    Sony A7 with 28-70mm lens kit $1,538.00

Well that's the result when you're an early adopter. You pay extra for the cutting edge.
    But maybe it's a good sign for the FF e-mount. I've been reminded that rapid updates of the high end cameras didn't occur in the DSLR or SLT cameras. Probably because demand was low. I'm guessing that a lot of work is being done to fine tune the features for this segment of their line. I usually skip at least every other update (sometimes multiple updates if they seem trivial). Some people wait for the price drop (the thrifty approach). Some people try to sell the old line before the new one knocks down its price and put the sale proceeds into buying the new one. That seems like too much work.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the X-Pro1 dropped a lot not long after introduction. My Fuji kit isn't really worth selling right now, everything is so cheap. Anyway, after having the A7r for a while I have no desire for the new cropped Fuji, I'll keep the X-Pro for all my cropped shot needs.

Also, use this link and then click add to cart for a $1238 A7.
    SONY A7 | B&H Photo Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's a B&H box at the top of this screen that helps support GetDPI.

I'd suggest using that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's okay to use this too: SONY A7 Series | B&H Photo Video
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I don't see the $460 off either. $300, yes (took advantage of that for both A7r and A7 purchases).

This price break is a bit early but totally fits with the current model of pretty much all of the companies. Fuji is discounting XE-2 (not that old of a body) and discounting lenses heavily to push the XT1 adoption. Panny cut the GX7 prices quickly after launch, then raised them back up, then dropped them. About the only one that hasn't gone that route is Oly with the EM1
    There were EM1 rebates last month for $1-200 plus free accessories. I've seen it for as low as $1150 new though through various places online. A good deal and no one is free from discounts. Even Canon was selling the 6D for as low as $1300 about a year ago and the D600 was going for $1400 around the same time period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that ALL camera companies are scrambling for sales. The masses are on to other things. They have to do something to get the "impulse" buyer interested.
    Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like

The A7's are a sort of prototypes. If Sony wishes to keep the excitement they'll have to come up with more sophisticated versions for this Kina. A blend of the best of the 2 models would suffice. Who knows, I may chime in!
    Eduardo