Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New firmware is here

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New firmware is here

So what is this new "focus hold function" they talk about?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, #1 seems to have less or more controlled noise throughout the frame. And I'm sticking with my definition as I see it in other parts of the image

For me iso 3200 is a "good lighting" night. I'm routinely into 6400 and 12800 so if they've manage to improve those files without excessive NR I'm happy.
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I see the same amount of noise in both but to me #1 has better sharpness/contrast.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the bad news folks is that I agree, #1 look overall less noisy and the noise is more even. And it's the old firmware :-(

Post Thanks / Like

win some, lose some...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, but to me these cameras see in the dark anyway. Have any of you seen ISO 3200 film lately? ;-)

The quality of noise on a +2/3 EV exposure, pushed another two stops, at ISO 3200 isn't really of much use in evaluating performance to me. I'm more interested in what the best they can do with correct exposure might be.

Firmware download has completed. No time to work on installation just at the moment, but I'm ready.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    So what is this new "focus hold function" they talk about?
    That's for the soon-to-be-released 70-200mm zoom. It has a focus button on the lens; this firmware adds support for its functionality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm sorry, but to me these cameras see in the dark anyway. Have any of you seen ISO 3200 film lately? ;-)

The quality of noise on a +2/3 EV exposure, pushed another two stops, at ISO 3200 isn't really of much use in evaluating performance to me. I'm more interested in what the best they can do with correct exposure might be.

Firmware download has completed. No time to work on installation just at the moment, but I'm ready.

G
    I think the problem is, there is no 'correct' exposure. Think about it, this frame is already given + 2/3rds over the 'as metered' (i.e. 'Correct for JPEG') exposure. Full ETTR with the A7r can be three stops, even more, over but to me it seems that the highlights suffer well before they blow.

The crops I show aren't, therefore, boosted two stops in LR to correct them, but to bring out the noise for a comparison...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I think the problem is, there is no 'correct' exposure. Think about it, this frame is already given + 2/3rds over the 'as metered' (i.e. 'Correct for JPEG') exposure. Full ETTR with the A7r can be three stops, even more, over but to me it seems that the highlights suffer well before they blow.

The crops I show aren't, therefore, boosted two stops in LR to correct them, but to bring out the noise for a comparison...
    Well, we will disagree. To me, correct exposure is the point at which the interesting highlight bits in a photo do not 'suffer' from saturation/compression while as much data at the dark end of the DR is collected. If the subject DR fits wholly within the DR of the sensor, great, otherwise you decide what you lose and where.

Artificially pushing the gain up to reveal a noise characteristic is interesting, yes, but it's the noise characteristic of a severely bent up dynamic range. While it can be curious and even interesting to work in that characteristic from time to time for aesthetic reasons, I don't really consider it indicative of the sensor output in the 'correct' exposure range it was designed for.

Just a difference of opinion...

G

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, like a terrier with trouser leg in his teeth I'll have another go: it certainly isn't 'fair' or indicative of a sensor's performance to push it around like this if you want to see how noisy it is: but I do think that if you want to see whether a sensor has more or less noise with a different firmware version, it is useful. Sort of like making an X-Ray of an oil painting to see if it's a palimpsest! The X-Ray isn't there to show you how beautiful the painting is.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Hmmm, like a terrier with trouser leg in his teeth I'll have another go: it certainly isn't 'fair' or indicative of a sensor's performance to push it around like this if you want to see how noisy it is: but I do think that if you want to see whether a sensor has more or less noise with a different firmware version, it is useful. Sort of like making an X-Ray of an oil painting to see if it's a palimpsest! The X-Ray isn't there to show you how beautiful the painting is.
    Hrumph - well, I think in this dispute I'm with Godfrey - I quite understand your motivation for what you did, but it becomes more problematic to say that will be representative of a 'properly' exposed image. Maybe they did something which improved noise when 'properly' exposed with some sacrifice when pushed? Not suggesting they have, just saying.

. . . . mind you, I should know better than to try and intervene in a fight between two terriers

However, I still find it interesting, and, just back from a week without I'm teetering on the brink of updating my firmware.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Don't do it Jono, IMHO it makes the ISO performance worse, at least on the A7R.

Of course I look at the files without two stops of push processing (the results being that I think the new FW is noisier) and, given that the original exposure was somewhat but not extremely ETTR, (because extreme ETTR can compress highlights on the A7r even if it doesn't clip them) I count this is as a good exposure and good enough evidence for me!

(woof!)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I'm a bear, not a terrier. Terriers make a good lunch snack. ];-)

As I said, we will differ on this. I haven't had the time to update my A7 yet, but I'll do some before and after exposures to see what the FW update does...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll take the faster re-switch on time over the difference in higher ISO. More real world for me.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz