The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware is here

Ben Rubinstein

Got it, no problems with install. Start up time is one second, restart time is now just a bit over that. Noticeably faster and a fraction of the time on restart. Yay! My saved modes (1/2) were not reset. Scrolling a drop faster, doesn't pause or hesitate any more. Zoom same speed but scrolling around the image, again less hesitating. Writing after shot just the same speed till I can press the review button. Lag same :( No idea about IQ, hasn't seen a problem as yet.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Both cams updated now , no issues. Have to see, but the Sony adapter 4 seems faster with both my 85 and 135 than again I would like it to anyway. LOL

In general i think we may some things a little faster. I give it a 7 out of 10 scorecard. It could use more updates

tashley

Subscriber Member
I agree Guy. I can't be bothered to do a detailed IQ comparison because a bullet proof methodology is actually very tough (too many variables to easily control) and because I was happy why it as-is and I wonder whether it's more a JPEG improvement despite the differing file saes of RAWS. I don't notice any particular improvements other than startup, which is dramatically better, but I do think that they missed a trick in not improving the parameters available to Auto ISO users to include shutter speed to focal focal length relationships.

Ben Rubinstein

For all the start up improvements it's still ridiculously slow by DSLR standards. Hooray, the A7r has almost caught up to 2004 DSLR's! Reminds me in use of my original Canon 1Ds (battery life too :p) but I forgive it everything for being a tiny fraction of the weight and size and with IQ I couldn't have begun to dream of in those days. I'll say this, the 1Ds was never in any was whatsoever fun to use or shoot with. The A7r is all fun all the time.

Guy Mancuso

Yea left part of the boat at the dock when this sailed. Maybe better said they forgot the food and booze. My bet is jpegs at higher ISO is better but who really cares about that on this forum. NO ONE

vjbelle

I see no difference at iso 1600 with images I have taken before and after. So for me this update does very little. Would have been a tremendous improvement for lower shutter speeds to have closed the shutter when time delay is used..... that's for the next camera. Like Ben, I also forgive many faults for the ability to use this little package and get marvelous results 95% of the time.

Victor

Ben Rubinstein

I assume the next camera will have EFC even on the 'r' version. By which time I might have learnt to anticipate the lag somewhat :D. I've been wondering what the next version would need to make me want to upgrade (apart from existing, I get GAS as bad as the rest of you, I just can't afford to have it :p). Honest, I've McGyver'd solutions to my biggest gripes and with this new firmware, I think EFC is the only thing left that's a real problem in day to day shooting. Not sure it would be enough to make me upgrade though any more. One thing that is annoying me in day to day shooting is the lack of cheap cable releases, was using the IR release in pitch black for bulb mode shooting yesterday (the fantasy shot I've posted) and it was so unreliable.

Guy Mancuso

Hate to say it guys but I agree. Nice for the start up time but Im getting great stuff from it so I really don't care, i will no doubt buy the updated body next.

Sony does not need to read this though. Im just too tired to go bust there butts over this stuff.

Guy Mancuso

I assume the next camera will have EFC even on the 'r' version. By which time I might have learnt to anticipate the lag somewhat :D. I've been wondering what the next version would need to make me want to upgrade (apart from existing, I get GAS as bad as the rest of you, I just can't afford to have it :p). Honest, I've McGyver'd solutions to my biggest gripes and with this new firmware, I think EFC is the only thing left that's a real problem in day to day shooting. Not sure it would be enough to make me upgrade though any more. One thing that is annoying me in day to day shooting is the lack of cheap cable releases, was using the IR release in pitch black for bulb mode shooting yesterday (the fantasy shot I've posted) and it was so unreliable.
I bought the 64 dollar one but I agree 12 bucks would have made me happier.

ZoranC

At least one user on DPR reported that firmware update bricked his camera. I happen to know indirectly that person so I know it's not a troll or somebody inexperienced.

Shane Phillips

Shameful, they left the manually adapted glass user out in the cold still... I'm appreciative of the startup speed, but... We still NEED this.

Focus Magnifier / Zoom in one button press like NEX. NOT 2 clicks = extraneous.

Further expanding on this would be an additional menu option that would have the option to change the behavior of the one click, where one click can equal any of these 3 user pref. Maximum magnification first, Minimum magnification first or the current style framing mode.

ecsh

Update is done, but the screen does not come back on, for me to hit the finish button on the screen. Anyone else?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Right. I've done ONE test of two A7rs with same lens, light, aperture, shutter speed, ISO 3200, different FW.

Tiff crops of the results are below. But first, try not to look at EXIF and just guess which is which? I hasten to add that this proves nothing but indicates something... you might like to know that these were RAWs, exposed under tungsten light with + 2/3rds exposure and then pushed two stops in LR and with 60/0.7/70/20 as sharpening and LR defaults for Colour NR of 25/50/50 and no luminance NR. So this was intended to 'bring out' the noise, but not to create it.

vjbelle

Tim.... your images are missing. But..... without even seeing if you can show me that 3200 is the same as 800 then you will get my attention. Otherwise 3200 is an emergency iso only..... for me...

Victor