Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New firmware is here

Post Thanks / Like

New firmware is here

ILCE-7R Firmware Upgrade Ver. 1.02 (Microsoft Windows) : Download : Sony Australia

(mac version)

Am installing it now. Watch out before you do so to make a note of all your custom settings and button configurations because the instructions require a reset, I will report back on whether the installer is smart enough to create a settings backup and re-install them. I will also report back on any differences I notice after the update...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New firmware is here

Many thanks Tim...Will look forward to your findings.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Good show, Tim - I'll be awaiting your findings with bated breath

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I installed it. It's a bore to install because you need the USB cable (mine never gets used but I found it!) and it all has to be done from a computer.

All my custom button setting survived but my Memory Recall positions 1 and 2 seem to have been re-set: I had one for tripod with A mode ISO 100, delayed release and OSS OFF and another for handheld with M mode, ISO Auto and OSS on and no delay. All gone. So keep a note of your settings.

Startup time 'from recently turned off' is supposed to be faster but I compared two A7R's (albeit two different Prime FE lenses) and they seem the same. However startup from cold (simulated by removing the battery) is a LOT faster with the new FW, by, literally, five or six seconds. I double checked this by switching the memory cards in each camera just in case it related to the building of the card database and it made no difference. This is a HUGE benefit.

IQ: this is where I got cunning: it could take forever to PROVE that there's a difference but I took a card with a day's shooting and then after the update I shot some simple and some complex scenes. Yesterday's file sizes are all 36.9 or 37mb though there is one outlier at 37.5. Post FW, the file sizes are all different and vary from 36.7 thru 37.7 so maybe, just maybe, there's less compression going on, varying according to subject matter.

As for the differences to Play Memories. Well, I will leave that to more experienced photographers to discern...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for letting us know your findings. Do you believe there is any change in AF speed or accuracy?

Post Thanks / Like

Tbc.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim even if they changed the compression method the files could possibly be the same. It actually sounds like they did being just a wee bit bigger. Have to wait for the nerds to tear it apart. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll load in the morning even the start up time is a huge help to me. Check self timer modes see if there is a change.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Tim - apparently it's not yet the killer update we've all been waiting for eliminating/reducing the shutter impact.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Tim. It's the restart time which was my biggest problem with start up. Seems they haven't fixed it. Sigh. Nothing for shutter lag, nothing for bounce, no 'my menu', sigh...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Timers haven't changed..... shutter action hasn't changed.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Installed the FW on the A7 and on the A7r. First one (A7) failed once and I had to restart from scratch, eventually everything is ok.
    I have the clear impression that the start-up is considerably faster at least on the A7r.

Post Thanks / Like

My A7 took forever to start and now it feels really faster. AF on the 28-70mm also feels very fast.
    I cannot confirm on the improvement on IQ though, nor the apps thingy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reading around. Reports of faster AF with the Sony 4 adapter, faster magnification times. So look for speed improvements. I have not updated yet but before one installs maybe shoot a plain white wall notice the file size than update and repeat and see if file is different. I may try this later today

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just read this also. Better higher ISO

sonyalpharumors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, sounds good. I'll install it this eve when I don't have to rush. No time to take any pictures today anyway...

G

Post Thanks / Like

Done. Start-up time definitely faster - after switching the camera on, the info overlay in the display appears almost immediately, where it used to take a few seconds.

Haven't noticed anything else.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where is the Mac firmware update?

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Where is the Mac firmware update?
    ILCE-7R Firmware Upgrade Ver. 1.02 (Apple Macintosh) : Download : Sony Australia

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just downloading now, man but that's a huge download for a firmware update!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No question magnifier is faster, start up faster. Sony Adapter 4 seems faster both in AFS and AFC.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Also available on the US site

Downloaded and installed w/o problems. Def faster start-up, otherwise haven't noted other improvements yet.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay moving on to the A7 now.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got it, no problems with install. Start up time is one second, restart time is now just a bit over that. Noticeably faster and a fraction of the time on restart. Yay! My saved modes (1/2) were not reset. Scrolling a drop faster, doesn't pause or hesitate any more. Zoom same speed but scrolling around the image, again less hesitating. Writing after shot just the same speed till I can press the review button. Lag same No idea about IQ, hasn't seen a problem as yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Both cams updated now , no issues. Have to see, but the Sony adapter 4 seems faster with both my 85 and 135 than again I would like it to anyway. LOL

In general i think we may some things a little faster. I give it a 7 out of 10 scorecard. It could use more updates

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Guy. I can't be bothered to do a detailed IQ comparison because a bullet proof methodology is actually very tough (too many variables to easily control) and because I was happy why it as-is and I wonder whether it's more a JPEG improvement despite the differing file saes of RAWS. I don't notice any particular improvements other than startup, which is dramatically better, but I do think that they missed a trick in not improving the parameters available to Auto ISO users to include shutter speed to focal focal length relationships.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For all the start up improvements it's still ridiculously slow by DSLR standards. Hooray, the A7r has almost caught up to 2004 DSLR's! Reminds me in use of my original Canon 1Ds (battery life too ) but I forgive it everything for being a tiny fraction of the weight and size and with IQ I couldn't have begun to dream of in those days. I'll say this, the 1Ds was never in any was whatsoever fun to use or shoot with. The A7r is all fun all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea left part of the boat at the dock when this sailed. Maybe better said they forgot the food and booze. My bet is jpegs at higher ISO is better but who really cares about that on this forum. NO ONE

Post Thanks / Like

I see no difference at iso 1600 with images I have taken before and after. So for me this update does very little. Would have been a tremendous improvement for lower shutter speeds to have closed the shutter when time delay is used..... that's for the next camera. Like Ben, I also forgive many faults for the ability to use this little package and get marvelous results 95% of the time.

Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I assume the next camera will have EFC even on the 'r' version. By which time I might have learnt to anticipate the lag somewhat . I've been wondering what the next version would need to make me want to upgrade (apart from existing, I get GAS as bad as the rest of you, I just can't afford to have it ). Honest, I've McGyver'd solutions to my biggest gripes and with this new firmware, I think EFC is the only thing left that's a real problem in day to day shooting. Not sure it would be enough to make me upgrade though any more. One thing that is annoying me in day to day shooting is the lack of cheap cable releases, was using the IR release in pitch black for bulb mode shooting yesterday (the fantasy shot I've posted) and it was so unreliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hate to say it guys but I agree. Nice for the start up time but Im getting great stuff from it so I really don't care, i will no doubt buy the updated body next.

Sony does not need to read this though. Im just too tired to go bust there butts over this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I assume the next camera will have EFC even on the 'r' version. By which time I might have learnt to anticipate the lag somewhat . I've been wondering what the next version would need to make me want to upgrade (apart from existing, I get GAS as bad as the rest of you, I just can't afford to have it ). Honest, I've McGyver'd solutions to my biggest gripes and with this new firmware, I think EFC is the only thing left that's a real problem in day to day shooting. Not sure it would be enough to make me upgrade though any more. One thing that is annoying me in day to day shooting is the lack of cheap cable releases, was using the IR release in pitch black for bulb mode shooting yesterday (the fantasy shot I've posted) and it was so unreliable.
    I bought the 64 dollar one but I agree 12 bucks would have made me happier.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm looking forward to a radio wireless one like I used to have for my canon, cost me $25 off ebay. Was heaven for tripod work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At least one user on DPR reported that firmware update bricked his camera. I happen to know indirectly that person so I know it's not a troll or somebody inexperienced.

Post Thanks / Like

Shameful, they left the manually adapted glass user out in the cold still... I'm appreciative of the startup speed, but... We still NEED this.

Focus Magnifier / Zoom in one button press like NEX. NOT 2 clicks = extraneous.

Further expanding on this would be an additional menu option that would have the option to change the behavior of the one click, where one click can equal any of these 3 user pref. Maximum magnification first, Minimum magnification first or the current style framing mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Update is done, but the screen does not come back on, for me to hit the finish button on the screen. Anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Right. I've done ONE test of two A7rs with same lens, light, aperture, shutter speed, ISO 3200, different FW.

Tiff crops of the results are below. But first, try not to look at EXIF and just guess which is which? I hasten to add that this proves nothing but indicates something... you might like to know that these were RAWs, exposed under tungsten light with + 2/3rds exposure and then pushed two stops in LR and with 60/0.7/70/20 as sharpening and LR defaults for Colour NR of 25/50/50 and no luminance NR. So this was intended to 'bring out' the noise, but not to create it.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim.... your images are missing. But..... without even seeing if you can show me that 3200 is the same as 800 then you will get my attention. Otherwise 3200 is an emergency iso only..... for me...

Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

not showing?

Post Thanks / Like

Not showing.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    Update is done, but the screen does not come back on, for me to hit the finish button on the screen. Anyone else?
    I didn't hit the finish button on the screen.... That was done on my computer. The process was a little clumsy and I had to exit the program once and restart the update but the software knew I had gone through all of the previous steps and started the update.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OK, they are showing here but I posted in-line TIFF crops and some browsers may not show them so here are links to the TIFFS

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v12/p51829941.tif

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s10...p491526004.tif

Post Thanks / Like

p51829941 look cleanest ??? right ??

Post Thanks / Like

Updated quite easily. Had hoped for a better auto-iso implementation

Post Thanks / Like

The first one (in the original post) seems to have more definition - transitions from shadow to book and the thin lighter shaft in the upper left.

Post Thanks / Like

The examples show subtle differences at best. I hope I don't have to use that ISO for anything serious..... at least in its current state.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I use jpegs but I believe I now see much better high iso files with a lot less aggressive noise reduction etc

Post Thanks / Like

More opinions please? And don't forget:

1) we're looking really for noise performance not definition because, thought the shots were both carefully manually focussed on the same spot, sublet focus differences might give the impression of more detail.

2) this files was effectively pushed two stops: in other words it 'should' have been shot at ISO800, in which case it would have looked a whole lot better. This despite the fact that it had +2/3rds stop comp applied. The A7R meters extremely protectively of highlights, which is all well and good but it does mean that one can end up giving the sensor less light than one might with another camera.