The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 100-400mm

dave92029

Local photo shop, George's Camera, in San Diego, CA allowed several members of the local photo club to borrow some lens during the photo club's visit to the SD Zoo this morning.

I requested the Canon 100-400mm and an adapter for the Canon to the Sony E Mount. This was my first experience doing manual focusing, and I admit it was a challenge. The darn animals would not sit still and give me much time to adjust the focal length and focus. Here are a few of the better examples from today:

mazor

nice pics, wondering what aperture setting did you use to capture these shots?

I have a 100-400L which I have owned for over 10 years, and find that I get alot of ghosting or haloing effects when using it with aperture wide open and at 400mm.

I am uncertain if it was always like this or did it slowly lose quality over time, since in the past it was used on lower MP sensor like the Canon 10D which yielded very sharp results.

dave92029

nice pics, wondering what aperture setting did you use to capture these shots?

I turned on the "M" switch on the 100-400mm and then shot in Manual mode. I also was wondering what Aperture setting was used because there is no F stop indicated in Lightroom nor on the camera back.????

As I mentioned this was my first time trying to manual focus. I would sometimes see red highlights on my subjects, but they were not in focus, so I just tried to get the best focus I could by looking through the EVF. Not very scientific. These came out "close" but I have a much greater appreciation for AF after this experience.

The Canon 100-400mm is a Big lens, especially when extended to 400mm. The weight and size of the lens makes holding the camera steady very difficult. I believe that I was shooting at 1/250 sec. and auto ISO.

If I were to do this again I would bring my tripod to support the lens.

mazor

hmm that is strange that there is no f stop recorded in lightroom. Also if you are shooting manual on the the camera, there would be options for you to select Aperture, shutter and ISO all manually.

Annna T

hmm that is strange that there is no f stop recorded in lightroom. Also if you are shooting manual on the the camera, there would be options for you to select Aperture, shutter and ISO all manually.
It would depends upon the adapter : unless he got a smart one, the lens won't communicate with the body, so he won't have EXIF data. Aka no information concerning aperture.

dave92029

It would depends upon the adapter : unless he got a smart one, the lens won't communicate with the body, so he won't have EXIF data. Aka no information concerning aperture.
What aperture default setting would the adapter/camera be set to with an inexpensive adapter? f5.6??

Is there a way to adjust the aperture with an inexpensive adapter?

Thank you

mazor

ahhh, if there was no exif data on the lens focal length or aperture, thenyou were using a dumb adapter, and the aperture would be more than likely wide open or what it was set to before being removed from a camera with electronic control

With an electronic adapter like metabones, Canon lens behave much like a native Sony lens on emount where aperture is controlled in the usual manner you would use if using a native emount lens. Also with electronic adapter and 100-400L the electronic image stabilization also works.

Annna T

What aperture default setting would the adapter/camera be set to with an inexpensive adapter? f5.6??

Is there a way to adjust the aperture with an inexpensive adapter?

Thank you
With a dumb adapter the aperture set by default is the widest. But there is a trick to change that : you put the lens on a Canon body, set the wanted aperture and then activate the DOF preview and take the lens off without shutting the body down : the lens will stick to the wanted aperture instead of returning to the widest one.

mazor

good trick AnnaT, can you imagine having to carry a donor Canon body everytime one wants to change the aperture.

Think the electronic adapter solution makes for much more convenient shooting, plus the added option of shutter priority being available may be handy for some.

here s a test shot I fired just yesterday to show the softness issues I am having with my 100-400L

This was captured with 100-400L wide open at 400mm mounted via SB adapter onto Nex 5r

click the link to see full res
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mazor_serate/13314329854/sizes/o/

Annna T

good trick AnnaT, can you imagine having to carry a donor Canon body everytime one wants to change the aperture.

Think the electronic adapter solution makes for much more convenient shooting, plus the added option of shutter priority being available may be handy for some.
:) This is the reason why I didn't even bother to buy an EOS adapter for my MFT cameras (that and the weight).

But I could see me using that trick if I ended up getting an A7/A7r as a digital back for the TSE lenses. Then I'd set the aperture at F8 or F11 and go out with just the TSE lenses, the A7/A7r body and a tripod. But then, I'm not someone who likes playing with shallow DOF.

It could also be handy for someone shooting at home or in a studio.

rifabagus

Sports shooters might actually benefit from the zoom's ability to adjust to capture unpredictable shots, but unless youre right on the sideline I still suspect it will be left at 400 most of the time, so ditto the prime. Ive read that 5.6 can be a bit slow for for fast shutter speeds in anything but optimum light. Of course, the next step up, the 400mm F4 is over five grand, so 5.

mazor

:) This is the reason why I didn't even bother to buy an EOS adapter for my MFT cameras (that and the weight).

But I could see me using that trick if I ended up getting an A7/A7r as a digital back for the TSE lenses. Then I'd set the aperture at F8 or F11 and go out with just the TSE lenses, the A7/A7r body and a tripod. But then, I'm not someone who likes playing with shallow DOF.

It could also be handy for someone shooting at home or in a studio.
True Anna, there is no consumer based EF to mft adapter available yet, so one has to resort to using a donor body to change the aperture when needed.

For the A7 or A7r, there are a few brands including Metabones ( the most expensive one) that allow for full electronic aperture control of EF lens mounted onto A7/r.

If and when Metabones brings out a EF to MFT Speedbooster with electronic aperture control, I will more than likely be getting one :)

Here is a picture I took of my Sony Nex 5r with CAnon 100-400L full extended to 400mm.

Annna T

True Anna, there is no consumer based EF to mft adapter available yet, so one has to resort to using a donor body to change the aperture when needed.

For the A7 or A7r, there are a few brands including Metabones ( the most expensive one) that allow for full electronic aperture control of EF lens mounted onto A7/r.

If and when Metabones brings out a EF to MFT Speedbooster with electronic aperture control, I will more than likely be getting one :)

Here is a picture I took of my Sony Nex 5r with CAnon 100-400L full extended to 400mm.
Impressive outfit ! Kipon makes an EOS EF to MFT adapter with a built in aperture ring. They make one for Nex cameras too, but I don't think it will suit FF A7s. : KIPON world first adapter with precision aperture ring inside-KIPON adapter

mazor

AnnaT, there is no real substitute for electronic control of the lens factory aperture. The Kipon Ef to emount adapter may be a novel concept incorporating a built in aperture in the adapter itself which does work to an extent, but has a side effect of vignetting when the lens is stopped down.