The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 - EFCS limitations

Godfrey

I was experimenting using very short shutter times today with the A7. At exposure times shorter than about 1/2000 second, a gradient begins to appear at the top of the frame, becoming quite strong by 1/6400 and 1/8000 second. Turning off the Electronic First Curtain Shutter option eliminates it.

Based on what I know about how EFCS works, I'm pretty sure this is just a characteristic limitation of the EFCS implementation on this camera. Does anyone else have thoughts about it?

thx!
G

johnnygoesdigital

I had to re-write my comment...

I did not go above 1/2000th, but if I needed higher I would not hesitate to turn it off on the A7. The 36MP of the A7/r might be more sensitive to camera movement because of the smaller pitch and movement of the mechanical shutter that might induce unwanted results with long lenses. My understanding is the EFC is basically a scan with no mechanical connection, a kind of digital MU:) It's interesting that the A7r does not have this feature when it clearly would benefit from it.

Last edited:

pegelli

The 36MP of the A7/r might be more sensitive because of the smaller pitch and secondary movement of the mechanical shutter that might induce unwanted results with long lenses.
Unfortunately the a7R does not have EFCS, only the a7.

Godfrey, can you post the effect in your a7 shots. I've looked at my 1/2000 - 1/4000 th sec shots of my NEX 5 and 6 and cannot see anything, but probably I don't know what I'm looking for :confused:

mbroomfield

I don't think the smaller sensors have the problem. I've also never seen it on my 5/6 Nex's. Essentially it's just a problem with data transfer speed

mazor

Yes this is a well known issue. Happens on other bodies with EFC as well (eg Canon 5D)

Hmm, I have the Canon 5D, and I do not think it has EFC (electronic front curtain ?)

Not even sure if it is applicable for that camera since it does not have live view, and hence, the mirror action would take precedence over mechanical front curtain.

mazor

I was experimenting using very short shutter times today with the A7. At exposure times shorter than about 1/2000 second, a gradient begins to appear at the top of the frame, becoming quite strong by 1/6400 and 1/8000 second. Turning off the Electronic First Curtain Shutter option eliminates it.

Based on what I know about how EFCS works, I'm pretty sure this is just a characteristic limitation of the EFCS implementation on this camera. Does anyone else have thoughts about it?

thx!
G
Hmm, this is interesting, how did you do the test that found this issue with EFC?

johnnygoesdigital

I don't think the smaller sensors have the problem. I've also never seen it on my 5/6 Nex's. Essentially it's just a problem with data transfer speed
I think the idea behind EFC, is that there's considerably more movement with two mechanical shutters moving back and forth. The EFC scans or blacks out the photosites in the same manner the mechanical shutter would block them, so less movement. With 35mm FF sensors with very small pixel pitch, the movement is more pronounced, especially with longer lenses.

Godfrey

I noticed it first as a darkening of the upper edge of a photo made at 1/6400 second.

with EFCS OFF:

with EFCS ON:

I then tested at all exposures from 1/8000 to 1/800.

As you can see from this JPEG, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25268645/EFCS_A7.jpg, the effect can be subtle with a gradient in the image. But on a clear, solid blue sky it was dramatically visible, particularly with a bit of underexposure.

If you look at the image pairs, it becomes noticeable in the EFCS ON series at exposure times shorter than 1/2500 second. Below that, the difference is not easily discernible.

G

philip_pj

It's on the a99 and I have seen suspicious shading on quite a few images, since I shoot in ultra bright conditions at times and love to show the highlight tones the sensor produces.

It is widely regarded as a totally good thing with very little attention devoted to a decent study by the otherwise forensic web fault-finding community.

Sony had this to say recently:

'•If shooting with high shutter speeds when a large diameter lens is attached it is recommended this feature be turned off. Otherwise, some ghosting or blurring may occur.'

and

'It is possible that certain areas in a picture that are not in focus may break up, depending on the subject and shooting conditions when using a large diameter lens at fast shutter speeds. Additionally, when using Konica Minolta™ lenses, pictures may not be properly exposed and image brightness may appear inconsistent. In either of these situations, it is recommended to turn off the electronic front shutter.'

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answe...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzk1NjE4OTI3L3NpZC9oTVBzUi1QbA==

There is probably a menu dive needed to do so. Trouble is: you may not notice it on the camera and not be able to revisit the shot.

johnnygoesdigital

If you look at the image pairs, it becomes noticeable in the EFCS ON series at exposure times shorter than 1/2500 second. Below that, the difference is not easily discernible.

It's good you have the option of either...Besides if shooting @1/8000th you might not need EFC anyway.

Last edited:

pegelli

Thanks for all the examples, much appreciated.
I'll take another look at my files.

Best way to describe it now (for me) is one sided vignetting at the top. I was expecting a more horizontal darkening, so I have learned something new here.

Godfrey

Thanks for all the examples, much appreciated.
I'll take another look at my files.

Best way to describe it now (for me) is one sided vignetting at the top. I was expecting a more horizontal darkening, so I have learned something new here.
As you can see from the two examples of the trees, it is horizontal. It's just that the subsequent test with the sky shots had a gradient to the illumination that wasn't there in the original capture ... different times of day/cloud conditions.

G

philip_pj

What can happen - and this is what makes it difficult to apportion 'blame' to EFCS - is that the blue sky in many places has a natural gradient relative to the sun's position, time of day and atmospheric conditions, very often this is left to right (or vice versa) in your chosen composition.

I have seen this many times and it does not detract from the image, but I see it less with the a7r, so colour me suspicious - for my unusual photography.