Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 99 of 99

Thread: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

  1. #51
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.


    I think a heck of a lot of photographers would get into MFD image quality … IF … the price is "relatively" reasonable, and it's not a brick to carry around.
    fotografz





    Actually, I think several cameras such as the Sigma DP Merrill's(DP3), D800/e, and Sony's A7/r come pretty close to MFD in image quality in certain set ups. Not one single MFD camera shoots broadcast quality video either. I've shot with most of them and only find certain lenses(dof), and flash sync to be the real difference. Of course, leaf shutters are the key for strobes and studio work, and anything that needs to be printed billboard size, but for all those who are already speculating about what's the next technology - you'll never be satisfied. Today's digital cameras are incredibly superior to anything imagined, and every one of them takes a good photo. With all due respect, this thread just feeds the planned obsolescence machine that companies love because the next gimmick is coming soon to your favorite camera store.
    I can't imagine having any more tech built into today's current offerings! you've got Wi FI, GPS, broadcast quality video, HSS, Hyper sync, numerous AF points, panorama, HDR, scene modes, auto everything, fast shooting modes, etc. Today's photographers are an increasingly lazy bunch who seem content to suckle on the teat of digital photography's marketing. Don't get me wrong new tech can be innovative, but the A7 is a game changer as far as 35mm FF DSLR's go. Can't we just enjoy this for a while before we feel inadequate...again?
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 26th March 2014 at 05:21.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    I don't know, now that you mention it, I was hoping that buying this upcoming super MF camera would finally make me a good photographer.
    Last edited by peterv; 26th March 2014 at 05:44. Reason: Typo
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #53
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post

    I think a heck of a lot of photographers would get into MFD image quality IF the price is "relatively" reasonable, and it's not a brick to carry around.
    fotografz





    Actually, I think several cameras such as the Sigma DP Merrill's(DP3), D800/e, and Sony's A7/r come pretty close to MFD in image quality in certain set ups. Not one single MFD camera shoots broadcast quality video either. I've shot with most of them and only find certain lenses(dof), and flash sync to be the real difference. Of course, leaf shutters are the key for strobes and studio work, and anything that needs to be printed billboard size, but for all those who are already speculating about what's the next technology - you'll never be satisfied. Today's digital cameras are incredibly superior to anything imagined, and every one of them takes a good photo. With all due respect, this thread just feeds the planned obsolescence machine that companies love because the next gimmick is coming soon to your favorite camera store.
    I can't imagine having any more tech built into today's current offerings! you've got Wi FI, GPS, broadcast quality video, HSS, Hyper sync, numerous AF points, panorama, HDR, scene modes, auto everything, fast shooting modes, etc. Today's photographers are an increasingly lazy bunch who seem content to suckle on the teat of digital photography's marketing. Don't get me wrong new tech can be innovative, but the A7 is a game changer as far as 35mm FF DSLR's go. Can't we just enjoy this for a while before we feel inadequate...again?
    I agree that a great photographer can take a great picture with any camera but the reason why GAS exists is because a great picture taken with an iPhone would surely have more impact taken with an A7r. It's as simple as that. Yes most cameras are "good enough" but I think the artist in us are constantly seeking the "masterpiece" as well. While I've taken some of my favorite pictures with a point and shoot or Micro 4/3 cameras, I can wholeheartedly say those same pictures would have more impact if taken with my M9, A7, or A7r.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    I've heard that Sony is actively working on two new technologies, based on artificial intelligence, that promises to break new ground. The first is ASL, (Auto Shutter Lock) and the second is ARC (Auto Re-Compose).

    If ASL is turned on, the camera detects if the shot to be taken is worth the effort. If it's clear that the shot will be a waste of time, the shutter is locked out, and the shot will simply not happen. This is a significant, and long overdue feature for many photographers.

    ARC gathers real-time data on the composition of the subject when the shutter button is half-pressed, and if the composition is determined to be crap, the sensor will actually pivot on it axis to attempt a more suitable composition. If a pleasing composition cannot be made, ASL is engaged, and a message will appear on the LCD prompting the photographer to pack up and go home.

    I'm in.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #55
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    "If the MFD rumor is true, ..."

    What MFD rumor; the one suggested here?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #56
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    If a camera is going to determine what is a pleasing composition or worth the effort in order to release the shutter, then what's the point of even showing up? Go film!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #57
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    I'll retire its just that simple.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  8. #58
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "If the MFD rumor is true, ..."

    What MFD rumor; the one suggested here?
    Seems to be spreading around. I do welcome it and be interesting to see what form it takes. I'm not interested though in a fixed lens setup.

    Sony to Announce Medium Format Camera NEW CAMERA
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    I've heard that Sony is actively working on two new technologies, based on artificial intelligence ...
    Is it April 1st already?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #60
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    My 25 th wedding anniversary is April 1st . No joke
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My 25 th wedding anniversary is April 1st . No joke
    No joke? Hmm, I'd tread carefully there ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #62
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'll retire its just that simple.
    You'll be able to Guy, with the new GTTG feature you'll be able to stay at home and send the camera off it's own to do the shoot for you whilst lounging at home indulging in GAS.

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #63
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Awesome I'm all in.

    Okay let's look at Sony here they have been known to sell a sensor to there competitors than use the same or a updated version for themselves. aka Nikon d600 and D800 than turn that into a A7 and A7r. Now they make a 50mpx sensor for Phase, Hassy what's to stop them from using them for themselves. So a MF cam is not so far fetched rumor. I think it be interesting to see if there is truth to this rumor. Just have too see but I do like Sonys aggressive approach to build some interesting product as of late.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #64
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    I simply would like to buy a camera where all the outstanding features of cameras of various makes get combined, be it sensor, shutter, EVF, IBIS or AF.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #65
    Senior Member f/otographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    What I am hoping for, and there was a little rumor floating around about this some time back, is an A7 type camera that has a movable sensor in it so you can auto focus with old manual focus lenses. You know, like Contax did back with their AX model that moved the film plane to auto focus with CY mount lenses.

    A really fast, mirrorless digital camera with this feature would be something new.

    As to the Medium Format rumor, I think its neat but I dont know how they are going to bring the price down to make it mass market AND create a whole other line of lenses to flush out the system. Yeah....I dont see that happening. Sony would have to release a fixed lens version, per the rumor. The last thing they need right now is another lens mount to not make lenses for.

    A hybrid A/E/FE mirrorless has been kicked around for a while as well. That would be new and interesting.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hurst, Texas (DFW area)
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Awesome I'm all in.

    Okay let's look at Sony here they have been known to sell a sensor to there competitors than use the same or a updated version for themselves. aka Nikon d600 and D800 than turn that into a A7 and A7r. Now they make a 50mpx sensor for Phase, Hassy what's to stop them from using them for themselves. So a MF cam is not so far fetched rumor. I think it be interesting to see if there is truth to this rumor. Just have too see but I do like Sonys aggressive approach to build some interesting product as of late.
    This would be a modern version of the Mamiya 6/7 medium format cameras which had some very good but small glass.

  17. #67
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Well a lot of folks would be interested in a RF style medium format. What they need immediately would be adapters to bolt Mamiya lenses or at least three Sony Zeiss lenses to go with it right out of the gate. Let's see if it happens but I won't be holding my breath to long.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #68
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well a lot of folks would be interested in a RF style medium format. What they need immediately would be adapters to bolt Mamiya lenses or at least three Sony Zeiss lenses to go with it right out of the gate. Let's see if it happens but I won't be holding my breath to long.
    Yep, that is the question I asked "what is the lens set" for such a camera?

    Contax 645, Leica S, and Hasselblad H are electronic lenses so would need expensive reverse engineered adapters. Legacy Mamiya 645 and Hasselblad V mechanical aperture lenses would work and with a EVF the mechanical stop down viewing/metering wouldn't be an issue because you get what you see.

    A MFD mirror less body with a midrange Zeiss zoom could work as an all in one package. A 30-90/4 that was sized to cover their 50 meg sensor (rather than full 645) could be very attractive if priced right. Even MORE attractive if it were a Leaf shutter lens.

    What ever Sony does, it seems they are intent on putting the "Brick Makers" out of business. When you survey the gear landscape, it seems many gear approaches aren't sustainable very long term.

    - Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    About the lenses.. how much room would there be in current FE-lenses to grow the sensor? Just a wild idea, but what if Sony designed them to fit this new MF sensor as well? That would also be a killer feat.. same lenses for the new camera as the backup A7r :-)

    But still, I wouldn't mind a RX1r style fixed lens camera.. especially if it were with fast 50 kinda lens.

    //Juha

  20. #70
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    About the lenses.. how much room would there be in current FE-lenses to grow the sensor? Just a wild idea, but what if Sony designed them to fit this new MF sensor as well? That would also be a killer feat.. same lenses for the new camera as the backup A7r :-)

    But still, I wouldn't mind a RX1r style fixed lens camera.. especially if it were with fast 50 kinda lens.

    //Juha
    Yes Juha
    Exciting idea and not impossible, but it does show a kind of across the board thinking which isn't Sony's best attribute.

    What a great thought though!

    Edit - not a chance - just looked into the E Mount mouth of my A7 - the sensor already fills it - to get to 44mm
    Last edited by jonoslack; 27th March 2014 at 08:07.

    Just this guy you know

  21. #71
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Maybe Sony will present a DSLR with an optical viewfinder

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Mark Weir from Sony hinted at "Something Wicked This Way Comes." when he mentioned that Sony will announce camera(s) that have never been made before.

    I think Sony smells blood in the water, and is ramping up their juggernaut for more industry shockers.

    Just for kicks and giggles, what do we think that could be?

    My initial thoughts just based on known or strongly rumored info:

    1) There has already been info that suggests an A99 replacement that will modularly take both A and FE mount FF lenses. Probably 36 meg. Meh, not a conquest camera IMO.

    2) Also, a 50+ meg 35mm sensor has been on the rumor circuit for some time. Could this be the first time Sony uses a new higher res 35mm sensor first instead of selling it to Nikon like with the D3X and D800? That'd get my attention.

    3) Then we have their new 50 meg MFD CMOS chip being employed by Phase and Hasselblad. A MFD mirror less camera could shake things up quite a bit and it isn't like their pal Zeiss doesn't know how to make MF lenses.

    Your thoughts?

    - Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #72
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    A 50mp sensor from Sony... nice!

  23. #73
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    ...and more from the rumor circuit but a rumor I hope is absolutely true as well.

    (SR3) More tidbits on the Medium Format Sony: “Imagine a sort of digital Mamiya 7″. | sonyalpharumors
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  24. #74
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston TX USA
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    At 5K, I could see getting back into MF .....

    Make it fixed lens with the "classic" 24-70mm [135?] (in 35mm terms) fixed F4
    Around the 2/3rds size as my Mamiya AFD was since there is no need for a flapping mirror and I'm in!

    The RX 10 was perfect for my last vacation trip, the RX100 never left the bag, the Fuji and the OMD stayed at home! Based on the way that I used the Fuji and 18-55 in my last studio shoot, I know I could make fixed lens work, only missing short tele for a few things as effective 70 is logish enough. Sony under Zeiss direction makes a smoking hot fixed lens.

    For the big 80% of what I shoot, I could live with a good fixed lens. The things I miss from MF are tonality, color fidelity, and file malleability. Never had top pixel count anyway.

    GO SONY!

    Dave

  25. #75
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Yeah if the body was in the $4-5K range, the initial lenses (let's say 3-5 sort of like the A7 launch window) are in the $800-2500 range, then yeah I'd be in the 100% Sony camp for now.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 27th March 2014 at 09:05.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by djonesii View Post
    At 5K, I could see getting back into MF .....

    The things I miss from MF are tonality, color fidelity, and file malleability. Never had top pixel count anyway.

    Dave
    I have zero experience with MF/MFD but from the little time that I've spent with my A7R and 24-70/F4 thus far, tonality, color fidelity and malleable files are not issues (for me, anyway). In fact, this little powerhouse of a camera, even paired with this less than perfect, but very serviceable zoom, is impressing the hell out of me in each of those categories.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #77
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Yeah if the body was in the $4-5K range, the initial lenses (let's say 3-5 sort of like the A7 launch window) are in the $800-2000 range, then yeah I'd be in the 100% Sony camp for now.
    No doubt... I'd be hard pressed to even bother keeping my Leica M lenses, and would also consider dispensing of the R gear along with the a7r at a point in the future.

    When are they going to make a digital LF camera? Maybe I should wait for that.

    I'm only joking a little... hahaha!

    I want my Sony/Mamiya6!
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

  28. #78
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    I have zero experience with MF/MFD but from the little time that I've spent with my A7R and 24-70/F4 thus far, tonality, color fidelity and malleable files are not issues (for me, anyway). In fact, this little powerhouse of a camera, even paired with this less than perfect, but very serviceable zoom, is impressing the hell out of me in each of those categories.
    There is no doubt that the A7 and A7r are both very capable cameras that no one thought would happen this soon or for this cheap.

    Affordable digital MF is the new "FF dream camera" from 10 years ago when everyone "needed" a semi-affordable FF camera and at least 12 megapixels. There's some humor wrapped in there somewhere but the reality is better technological performance makes an already great picture better. It's as simple as that.

    We can try to convince ourselves otherwise but the truth is that's why we have GAS.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  29. #79
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    I would love to see a MF RF style like the Mamiya 7 but it has to have lenses ready immediately for use or be able to hook up with other lens systems or i am not interested at all. Fixed lens stuff to me is a total waste of money. I know some folks love them but for a Pro its extremely limiting. I mean i would love to replace my A7r cam to a even higher MPX cam for my commercial work. It can be all manual everything even if I had to use a crank to start it up. LOL

    I would still keep the A7 for the AF needs. But sure if Sony came out with something I would certainly entertain it. But it needs to hit a lot of check marks for me. Im just not into buying gear for awhile. I have what I need and no desire to jump on anything.

    To be honest Sony would be damn stupid not to fit in the same 50mpx sensor under the radar of Hassy and Phase and capture a huge market that simply don't want to pay 20k. 7k maybe but at 5k people would jump all over it as long as there is lens support. The A7/A7r came out handicapped so not sure i want to go down that road again with limited lens selection.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  30. #80
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I would love to see a MF RF style like the Mamiya 7 but it has to have lenses ready immediately for use or be able to hook up with other lens systems or i am not interested at all. Fixed lens stuff to me is a total waste of money. I know some folks love them but for a Pro its extremely limiting. I mean i would love to replace my A7r cam to a even higher MPX cam for my commercial work. It can be all manual everything even if I had to use a crank to start it up. LOL

    I would still keep the A7 for the AF needs. But sure if Sony came out with something I would certainly entertain it. But it needs to hit a lot of check marks for me. Im just not into buying gear for awhile. I have what I need and no desire to jump on anything.

    To be honest Sony would be damn stupid not to fit in the same 50mpx sensor under the radar of Hassy and Phase and capture a huge market that simply don't want to pay 20k. 7k maybe but at 5k people would jump all over it as long as there is lens support. The A7/A7r came out handicapped so not sure i want to go down that road again with limited lens selection.
    I agree on the idea that most fixed lens camera are too expensive and limiting on what they are - FOR ME. I can't lie I was completely bummed out by the RX1 announcement (yet I can't deny the amazing results of what the cameras capable of) but the A7 and A7r brought me back to the light. I'd be willing to try a RX1 for what the A7 is going for on discount (~12-1300) but not for nearly $3k.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  31. #81
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston TX USA
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I would love to see a MF RF style like the Mamiya 7 but it has to have lenses ready immediately for use or be able to hook up with other lens systems or i am not interested at all. Fixed lens stuff to me is a total waste of money. I know some folks love them but for a Pro its extremely limiting. I mean i would love to replace my A7r cam to a even higher MPX cam for my commercial work. It can be all manual everything even if I had to use a crank to start it up. LOL

    I would still keep the A7 for the AF needs. But sure if Sony came out with something I would certainly entertain it. But it needs to hit a lot of check marks for me. Im just not into buying gear for awhile. I have what I need and no desire to jump on anything.

    To be honest Sony would be damn stupid not to fit in the same 50mpx sensor under the radar of Hassy and Phase and capture a huge market that simply don't want to pay 20k. 7k maybe but at 5k people would jump all over it as long as there is lens support. The A7/A7r came out handicapped so not sure i want to go down that road again with limited lens selection.

    A quick scan of KEH show that the Mamiya RF lenses are available, and all for less the a grand each in a good range of focal lengths.

    No need for RF coupling as they would focus via EVF. Just takes a simple mechanical mount adapter ..... Then the usual issues of adapted ends can be discussed ad naussium.

    Sony has a pattern ... Hook the fixed lens crowd first [on size], get everyone's appetite whetted, and then throw out the interchangeable lens version.

    As usual Guy is 100% correct for a working pro photographer, not so much for a working pro Geophysicist!

    Love to see something MF Digital that was less expensive than a BMW

    Dave

  32. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    And if Sony can make an adapter that can take Leica S lenses on this new MF thingie, it would be great. But then again, with used S2's going below $8K MF is already at the price range rumored for the new Sony MF...Leica S2 Medium Format Digital Camera Body Used 4022243108028 | eBay

  33. #83
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    I wonder if a fixed lens idea would be so far out. Fuji pulled it off many times on their medium format rangefinder bodies. Given how 'niche' the RX was when released, I can't see it being un-sony to do such a thing. What I will enjoy is Doug Peterson trying to explain why the P1 back with the same sensor, no body, lens, evf, etc is ten times the price .
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #84
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Just hope they skip the fixed lens route this time.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #85
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    With the RX they tested the waters with a fixed lens and then opened it to interchangeable. I wonder if they will do that again? Trying to second guess Sony's camera team is like playing darts blindfold. You know the general direction but any more than that it's going to be very random.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  36. #86
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Yeah, grab your behind with both hands because Sony is sure to take us on a roller-coaster ride over the next year or two.

    I'm sure we'd all like it if they would take a bit longer, collect all the advancements and put them in a more complete kit. For example, they most certainly had the faster AF now in the a6000 before the A7/A7R came to market but I'll bet they just put the A7/A7R out there because research showed we'd buy it "as is" due to its' game changing FF in a matchbox size. Seems they were right.

    It sure the hell isn't a great policy to buy anything Sony early on just a few months of patience can save you hundreds of dollars unless you want to be an internet darling while the item is a hot topic or that shoulder is flaring up again


    - Marc
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #87
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Personally, I don't think Sony will produce such a camera unless the price is slightly north of a D800. The Nikon D800 converted a lot of MFD shooters wanting those megapixels, but most photographers know that it's really about the lenses resolving power. So, to launch a successful new model, I think they should have several lenses ready to market too. The A7/r is a remarkable little camera as is.

  38. #88
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaree View Post
    And if Sony can make an adapter that can take Leica S lenses on this new MF thingie, it would be great. But then again, with used S2's going below $8K MF is already at the price range rumored for the new Sony MF...Leica S2 Medium Format Digital Camera Body Used 4022243108028 | eBay
    That's an 8 condition S2 with no indication of history or use. Maybe we can find one with a smashed top-plate for under $5K

    The cheapest clean S2 I could find on e-bay is $9,350 and it's lower than all the rest by a decent margin. You can find fire-sales on most anything if you are patient enough. S2P seems to be commanding between $11K and $13K probably due to the fact it is cheaper to service because it came with a discounted service plan.

    I think Sony will under-cut MFD and bring a 50 meg camera to market for $6K maybe $7 (which will be sold for $5.5K with-in a year of launch). They are in a conquest mode to grab market share plain and simple.

    - Marc

  39. #89
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    When Weir says Sony wants to make cameras that were never made before, I think he is just reiterating the philosophy that they have already demonstrated with the RX1 and A7 lines, and that we should expect more of the same.

    So yes, Medium Format Mirrorless, hybrid mounts, even smaller FF bodies - it's all on the table.

    I envy my Canikonian brothers who don't have to fret over which awesome new direction their platforms will take.

  40. #90
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Just hope they skip the fixed lens route this time.
    I wouldn't mind it if we got something in the way of a smaller Texas Leica. What would that be? A Delaware Leica?

  41. #91
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    With the RX they tested the waters with a fixed lens and then opened it to interchangeable. I wonder if they will do that again? Trying to second guess Sony's camera team is like playing darts blindfold. You know the general direction but any more than that it's going to be very random.
    This is why I don't try to second guess any of these companies. I just look and see what they announce. And buy what I like.

    A medium format digital camera would be fun. If they make one, and some of you folks buy them, can I borrow it to play with now and then? :-)

    I'm just waiting for my Hasselnuts back to arrive, that will be my MF digital for a while. !!

    G

  42. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    The D800 was much more of a game changer than many people realise. In a way it was Sony's stalking horse for their next generation high Mp sensor, perhaps with no one knowing it, least of all Nikon. It was released two years ago last week, how time flies.

    Soon they can pinch sales from above with MFD, from alongside in high Mp DSLRs, and from beneath with compact a7r cameras. So that is studio/commercial, landscape/event, and travel/light carry. All 'affordable' relative to the competition, but for two of these there is no effective competition from Canon or Nikon. By Xmas there will be a fuller FE lens lineup, high end DSLRs, with a 'Mamiya 7' up their sleeves...

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

    It sure the hell isn't a great policy to buy anything Sony early on just a few months of patience can save you hundreds of dollars unless you want to be an internet darling while the item is a hot topic or that shoulder is flaring up again


    - Marc
    Not sure, the A7r in the UK where I bought it is $150 cheaper than when I got it in late November and I've sure had a heck of a lot of fun over the past 4 months with it.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  44. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    413
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    The RX1 is still the same price as it was when it first came out, 1,5 year ago.

  45. #95
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Latest news: sonyalpharumors

    This will be amazing!
    But I don't know if I can keep up buying all those new cameras if they keep on releasing revolutionary cameras at this speed.
    As soon as you have bought this they will release their medium format camera and after that they will probably release one with a three layered Foveon like sensor.

    I am getting dizzy

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    April Fools Day?

    Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #97
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Check the date, Michiel...

  48. #98
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes.

    Has anybody heard anything new on this subject? Information and rumors seem to cease with this. Please don't let it die! Dear Sony, we need this camera!

    ll.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •