The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Something Wicked This Way Comes.

fotografz

Mark Weir from Sony hinted at "Something Wicked This Way Comes." when he mentioned that Sony will announce camera(s) that have never been made before.

I think Sony smells blood in the water, and is ramping up their juggernaut for more industry shockers.

Just for kicks and giggles, what do we think that could be?

My initial thoughts just based on known or strongly rumored info:

1) There has already been info that suggests an A99 replacement that will modularly take both A and FE mount FF lenses. Probably 36 meg. Meh, not a conquest camera IMO.

2) Also, a 50+ meg 35mm sensor has been on the rumor circuit for some time. Could this be the first time Sony uses a new higher res 35mm sensor first instead of selling it to Nikon like with the D3X and D800? That'd get my attention.

3) Then we have their new 50 meg MFD CMOS chip being employed by Phase and Hasselblad. A MFD mirror less camera could shake things up quite a bit … and it isn't like their pal Zeiss doesn't know how to make MF lenses.

Your thoughts?

- Marc

Ben Rubinstein

I've got a feeling we're talking about more niche openers like the rumoured B&W sensor.

Can't stop feeling that I wish they would be like Fuji and improve their current cameras but that doesn't seem to be Sony's way.

fotografz

I've got a feeling we're talking about more niche openers like the rumoured B&W sensor.

Can't stop feeling that I wish they would be like Fuji and improve their current cameras but that doesn't seem to be Sony's way.
Yeah Ben, Sony's way forward seems more of a conquest strategy against entrenched competition. Pour on the innovations like a Gatling Gun, and see what sells. Must be interesting to work in their R&D department.

Although, I must say their DSLR and SLT cameras have been stalwarts … I've now used Sony 35mm longer than I ever did Nikon or Canon systems.

B&W sensor wouldn't be "never before made" … Leica MM did that already.

- Marc

johnnygoesdigital

My recent outing with an A7 convinced me that size does matter. (it's not the size, but how you use it!) I hope Sony R&D's more native lenses such as 18mm or 200mm f/2, or even an OVF option for the A7's. Their products are innovative enough to capture a good market share and I think a higher MP FF camera will appeal to many because of the trend to be the first.

jonoslack

Interesting stuff - to be fair to Sony, it's their consumer stuff that changes every ten minutes - their high end kit (A77, A99, A900 etc.) seems to have a long shelf life.

If they're making something that's never been made before, the only thing I can think of is a larger than full frame EVF camera - which explains the new 50mp CMOS chips as well.

Personally I wouldn't mind an A99 type camera which takes both sorts of lenses - especially if it were A77 sized.

But what I really want is a camera with the A7r sensor and a quiet shutter with no lag.

fotografz

Interesting stuff - to be fair to Sony, it's their consumer stuff that changes every ten minutes - their high end kit (A77, A99, A900 etc.) seems to have a long shelf life.

If they're making something that's never been made before, the only thing I can think of is a larger than full frame EVF camera - which explains the new 50mp CMOS chips as well.

Personally I wouldn't mind an A99 type camera which takes both sorts of lenses - especially if it were A77 sized.

But what I really want is a camera with the A7r sensor and a quiet shutter with no lag.
Yep, as I noted, I've stuck with their A mounts now longer than any other brand.

Not that those "quite/no lag attributes" haven't been seen before … again, Leica is there with the M240 (as a rangefinder).

If Sony provides quieter/no lag, we'll have to buy a new camera to get 'em. I'm already thinking of the A7R as my back-up to what is sure to come next … the rumored higher-end A7(?) version (what-ever higher-end means).

- Marc

iiiNelson

Mark Weir from Sony hinted at "Something Wicked This Way Comes." when he mentioned that Sony will announce camera(s) that have never been made before.

I think Sony smells blood in the water, and is ramping up their juggernaut for more industry shockers.

1) There has already been info that suggests an A99 replacement that will modularly take both A and FE mount FF lenses. Probably 36 meg. Meh, not a conquest camera IMO.

2) Also, a 50+ meg 35mm sensor has been on the rumor circuit for some time. Could this be the first time Sony uses a new higher res 35mm sensor first instead of selling it to Nikon like with the D3X and D800? That'd get my attention.

3) Then we have their new 50 meg MFD CMOS chip being employed by Phase and Hasselblad. A MFD mirror less camera could shake things up quite a bit … and it isn't like their pal Zeiss doesn't know how to make MF lenses.

Your thoughts?

- Marc
I was thinking a combination a mirrorless MF camera that also accepted and supported AF for A and E mount lenses (FE and E) through the use of adapters. Maybe we can get a cropped 24-36 MP solution using the A and FE lenses while E mount would probably give 12-18 or so. Maybe Sony developed a modified version of the MF sensor that they're selling to Phase, Hasselblad, and Pentax that has a 3:2 ratio. I'm thinking a reasonably priced Leica S direct competitor. There's clearly a $3000+ market Sony hasn't tapped into. Smart and dumb adapters would be made for it. People would've had plenty of manual focus practice with the other mirrorless systems.

A man can dream anyway.

jfirneno

Your thoughts?

- Marc

Marc:
Sony saying something like "never made before" is surely worrisome for their competition (and their present customers!). They tend to be hyperactive. My wishful thinking is that they are coming up with a version of option 1. What I'd like to see is a full sized (DSLR shaped body) mirrorless camera with the e-mount and a robust A-mount adapter that supports all the old lenses (screw drive too). And most importantly it can compete head to head with a Nikon or Canon pro camera (think D4S). Good AF (sport), good high ISO (occasion), good programming options and rugged (water proof). In other words a real honest to goodness pro camera. Well I can dream can't I?

Regards,
John

dave92029

"Never been made before" from Sony would probably be a bridge between the smartphone and pro cameras.

Everywhere I go I see people using their Smartphones to take photos. I would bet that Sony would want to capture a part of that market. Maybe a way to use the smartphone as the camera body and connect it to an existing or new professional lens system.

Device manufactures of cameras and GPS' are getting their markets eroded by the smartphone. Camera makers like Sony will need to find a way to include smartphone users in their circle of customers in order to thrive in the future. A device or accessory that utilizes the smartphone would have a tremendous potential market, and "never been made before".

jonoslack

"Never been made before" from Sony would probably be a bridge between the smartphone and pro cameras.

Everywhere I go I see people using their Smartphones to take photos. I would bet that Sony would want to capture a part of that market. Maybe a way to use the smartphone as the camera body and connect it to an existing or new professional lens system.

Device manufactures of cameras and GPS' are getting their markets eroded by the smartphone. Camera makers like Sony will need to find a way to include smartphone users in their circle of customers in order to thrive in the future. A device or accessory that utilizes the smartphone would have a tremendous potential market, and "never been made before".
Great thinking . . . . but haven't they already done this?

Sony QX-10

mjm6

I for one, loved the Mamiya 6 camera, and would absolutely love a slightly larger sensor mated with leaf shutter lenses, but not in a RF format; use a EVF like the A7 cameras.

If someone could figure that one out, I'd be a very interested person, and that certainly has not been done yet.

Their upcoming dual EA/A mount camera has been revealed already at some level of detail, so there is no reason to be oblique about a reference to that camera I don't think? Must be something else.

Does anyone remember the hype surrounding the Segway before it was publicly introduced? Had people talking about flying cars, blah blah blah... turns out it was a two wheeled scooter. I hope Sony is serious about those types of claims, otherwise it becomes a bit of a joke "The best... EVER!".

Let's go crazy with guessing... RX2r with MF sensor and 50mm equiv lens. Size around A7 twins, fixed lens.

Now that would be something!

//Juha

iiiNelson

Oh and maybe this thing will or could take Hasselblad lenses too. It probably wouldn't cannibalize Hasselblad saleas it would be a "closed" system.

gurtch

I still have my A900 and lenses, and also the A7R. I am in the minority (left eyed...I have trouble with the A7R viewfinder in bright sun light), but I much prefer OVF of the A900 over the EVF of the A7R, so I would like to see a OVF 36 MP replacement for the A99.

ashwinrao1

An A7R that with leaf shutter, no AA filter, and a sensor comparable to the RX1R would do me very well.....but ideally, more diversity in lenses would be best.....

I suspect that an affordable Sony Branded camera with MF sensor might be interesting, if it competed at a price point with high end SLR's from Canikon....but once again, what lenses to be used.....this type of camera would effectively complete with the 645D, which reportedly houses that Sony sensor...probably at the 645D's price point....

Maybe this is where Sony and Hasselblad's partnership blossoms for the better...no more Lunars, Solars, or Buggars, please....

mjm6

You could make a larger square sensor and still use 35mm format lenses (most of them, anyway).

Sort-of a mini MF format.

Or, move up to something really MF, put a shutter in the camera, but also permit leaf shutters in the lenses. It wouldn't need to be 6x6 or 6x9 or anything, more like the Leica S sensor would be sufficient.

In fact, what Sony needs to do is buy Leica and fire all of the electronics people over there. Then, make some SoLeicas with 36MP Sony sensors inside, and also power froward with the mirrorless format. Hahaha... just kidding.